NTPA SS rule question for RN/state level May 10, 2021 03:55PM
For RN/state level Heavy SS classes, did NTPA ever change the rule to limit engines to 540 ci?

There aren't many State or RN Heavy SS hooks left, but is the limit for that level still 650, or 540?

Thanks

Re: NTPA SS rule question for RN/state level May 11, 2021 02:06AM
It is still 650 and many of the tractors in our area are 650 if they are non overhead cam alcohol and pull at the regional level. There are also some people who will build a single charger 640 diesel and run with the super stock for fun. Yes, if someone was crazy enough and had the money they could build a diesel 640 with 4 chargers and be very competitive but they will not keep it together so who really cares.

Re: oddity May 11, 2021 02:39AM
Yes, if someone was crazy enough and had the money they could build a diesel 640 with 4 chargers and be very competitive but they will not keep it together so who really cares.

Thanks. The reason I asked is the NTPA Tech page has this about 2021 rules:

The following items were considered and approved by the WPI/NTPA Executive Boards for the 2021 season.

Heavy Super Stock Diesel GN/SN: Limited to a maximum 540 cu.in. for all turbocharger configurations.

It feels odd to me that a diesel SS could only run 540 CI at a Grand National level, but as you said, could run 650 ci at a RN or State level. I realize at a RN and State level, both diesel and alcohol run together, but it seems backwards that a Diesel SS could run a larger engine at a lower level of pulling.

Re: oddity May 11, 2021 04:57AM
I totally agree however on the regional level not many people are willing to put the kind of money needed to build a full blown 4 charger diesel just to pull on the regional circuit. However after thinking about this a little more, I think you are right that you can only run 540 IF you are registered as a diesel super but they will allow someone that has big cubic in and a single turbo from a class like 4.1 or prostock to hook in the super stock class if their class isn't at that pull. Sorry for the confusion but I think this is technically how this works.

If I am right about the 540 rule, some people that have a 640 with a big single and 30.5s would technically be illegal because they have the big motor, which makes being a super stock illegal, and having 30.5s makes it so they can´t register as a 4.1 or pro stock.

Re: oddity May 11, 2021 02:12PM
If a NTPA SF, Lgt PS, Lim PS desires to pull with 30.5's, they are allowed to pull regionally (think its even legal in GN but Larry would not be very happy) in SS. But those tires disqualify them to pull in their respective class. However, those 24's classes, are always allowed to pull region SS. Wolverine Pullers combine all those classes plus PS into their SS Combo class, which works well.
Shramek back, before he sold the PS "Git Er Dun" to Schmucker, installed 30's on the PS tractor and pulled exclusively on GN SS, doing as I recall, respectively well.
Make certain to study the rulebook to make certain of these technicalities.

Re: oddity May 11, 2021 03:22PM
I totally agree however on the regional level not many people are willing to put the kind of money needed to build a full blown 4 charger diesel just to pull on the regional circuit. However after thinking about this a little more, I think you are right that you can only run 540 IF you are registered as a diesel super but they will allow someone that has big cubic in and a single turbo from a class like 4.1 or prostock to hook in the super stock class if their class isn't at that pull. Sorry for the confusion but I think this is technically how this works.

If I am right about the 540 rule, some people that have a 640 with a big single and 30.5s would technically be illegal because they have the big motor, which makes being a super stock illegal, and having 30.5s makes it so they can´t register as a 4.1 or pro stock.

Does any one ever ACTUALLY check the cubes?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,948, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,033.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009