Intercooler September 11, 2021 02:24PM
Anyone run a water to air intercooler off the engine cooling system? It’s a field and pull tractor so no ice box set up. Could do a self contained system but tight on space and plumbing into the engine system would be quick and easy. Thanks.

Re: Intercooler September 13, 2021 07:05AM
That would defeat the purpose of a cooler. Be more of a pre heater

Re: Intercooler September 13, 2021 10:19AM
It depends on your goals, if you are OK with 230 F intake air, then using engine coolant will work and many engines are done this way. Take coolant from the discharge of the water pump, or use a dedicated pump and take coolant from the outlet of the radiator (usually the bottom).

Re: Intercooler September 13, 2021 10:43AM
I think you guys are missing the point of his question maybe. I think he’s asking if it will do any good to plumb ice water to an oem cooler. I could be wrong though. If so it would certainly help

Re: Intercooler September 13, 2021 12:11PM
I’m asking if I’ll be happy with the results of plumbing a frozen boost water to air intercooler into the engine cooling system. My thought is will the addition of the charge air heat into the coolant bring up the engine temp too much? Only one way to find out I suppose.

Re: Intercooler September 13, 2021 01:05PM
My bad I totally misinterpreted that. To answer your question you won’t need to worry about it raising your engine temp to much. Don’t know that it’ll help you any either

Re: Intercooler September 13, 2021 03:01PM
Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just looking for some clarity.

What's your goal? Is it more power? Is it Cooler coolant? What exactly are you trying to accomplish? We can't say if you'll be happy with the results if we don't know what you're trying to accomplish.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Intercooler September 13, 2021 11:19PM
Egts creep up higher then I like and I’m wondering if a water to air cooler cooling the charge air to 200-220* would bring down my egts. If it bumps power that’s a plus.

Re: Intercooler September 13, 2021 11:30PM
What brand and model tractor ? If it's a Deere I would think you can adapt to a stock cooler that should help. That would be a simpler fix. I don't know what other brands have for coolers.

Re: Intercooler September 13, 2021 11:42PM
It’s a 2590 case, a 2670 and 4690 came with a water to air intercooler from factory, the core in intake manifold type, they run off the engine cooling system but the radiators are bigger.

Re: Intercooler September 15, 2021 12:11AM
Joebob,

If you are currently monitoring intake temps and they are up close to 300* then I think you could get a decent drop in EGT’s by adding the air to water with engine coolant circulating.

Also curious, how warm does the engine coolant get? Im not familar with this type of pulling. We generally never see more than about 140* at the end of a run, but the tractor only runs long enough to make the pull.

If you are pulling with a relatively cool engine, your radiator might not get that hot.

Re: Intercooler September 15, 2021 12:21PM
Done it before on an A-C. I damaged one of the two thermostats so it kept some water pressure but the coolant never warmed up. Use 15W-40 motor oil. Not much warm-up time and the engine coolant never gets hardly warm, which makes the intercooler effective.

Re: Intercooler September 15, 2021 01:12PM
Wondering why you can’t remote mount the cooler tank and plumb ice water to whatever form of cooler you are wanting to use….

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,665, Posts: 229,745, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,073, Posts: 225,923.

Our newest member JD_8520