Compact Diesel Puller September 16, 2021 02:48AM
Would anybody know who I could contact overseas about there Compact Diesel class? Not looking for top secrets just some guidance. Thanks in advance!

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 16, 2021 03:23AM
The guys I share my workshop with (and their buddies that regularly hang out here) have built quite a few of them (as well as TDI powered mini rods). From 1.3 pre-chamber converted to direct injection, 5 cyl TDI (N/A v8 killer) and several 4 cyl TDIs. From low buck to high dollar.

Feel free to ask what you want, glad to help - and we don't really have secrets.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 16, 2021 04:00AM
Thank you for the help! I was going to start with the 1.9 TDI hopefully the PD version. I have looked at many of the performance parts and from what I can tell some good injectors, big turbo, and a good ECU tune is the way to go.(but I could be completely wrong) I am having trouble finding anybody willing to set down and figure out a combination that would work for me. I also cant decide to run the big fwd tires on the rear or stick with a garden tractor 26x12x12. The class I would pull in is open to any automotive 4 cylinder engine max tire size is the 34 fwd tires 1500lbs weight limit, 8 ft long.

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 16, 2021 07:46AM
Hi!
First - stay away from the PD heads. Anything you can get done there fuel-wise is "cute" and can't handle any rpm.
Get the older one (or an older head) and put on a Bosch A with RSV governor and 8.5 - to 9mm elements on. We can get you the Bosch part numbers or the parts (or build a pump).
Turbo - depends a lot on your cam. A quick and easy way to improve there for a start is to use the cam from a 1.8 V turbo gas engine for a start and then combine that with a turbo of a 4 to 5 liter diesel engine. We've done up to HX55 here - and it works, but is undrivable at the 1300 lbs weight limit here.
Don't let gas guys work on the heads and don't touch the ports!!!! If you are not totally into diesel heads you're most likely going to destroy the swirl and that thing won't run right anymore. Head flow is not that important, swirl is everything.
Rods - actually the China ones on Aliexpress work well and are of good quality.
They've overpowered the 12 inch Vogel tires with a 1.3 Diesel at 1100 lbs.
With the bigger ones, it's usually front-end weight, well - the lack of it, the problem. But the class rules here allow for only a short wheelbase.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2021 07:58AM by Sascha.

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 16, 2021 07:57AM
[fb.watch]
This is a tractor that my buddy did for a boy next town, which is basically what he describes as a "stage 1". So not too wild of a cam, turbo of a 180 hp New Holland farm tractor, a pump.
The wild @#$%& is done to this one: [fb.watch]
And here's a 5 cyl Audi TDI he ran in the mini rod competition, with a still rather mild cam and HX55 Holset: [fb.watch]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2021 08:03AM by Sascha.

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 16, 2021 08:06AM
Sasha, is there anyway you can post those videos where a person doesn't have to have Facebook to view, thanks !!

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 16, 2021 09:30AM
puhhh... that's what the boy from next town put on their FB page.

Here's Thorsten with the little 5 cyl mod "Blue Attraction" (class limit is 5l N/A, 3l Turbo - he has a 2.5 Diesel): [youtu.be]
Here we have the two Compact Diesels - not their best day: [youtu.be] The old IH hood "Screaming International" is the "engine all out" (and 300 lbs driver - so hitch down) and the little "red Raptor" is the "low buck" version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2021 09:32AM by Sascha.

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 16, 2021 09:47AM
[youtu.be] here is some more from two weeks ago. Little Raptor's very first steps on methanol...

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 16, 2021 09:54AM
Yes, your info has got me thinking all over again, definitely need to go back to the drawing board. What is your length and hitch height you all run? Do you all tune with all mechanical or do you get into using the computers for the tuning? I would definitely be interested in the numbers for the bosch pumps, if you dont want to put them on here you could PM me. I have a feeling I'm definitely going to need some more advice. So could I start with just a basic 1.9l TDI and not worry about if its VE, PD or CR?

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 17, 2021 02:54AM
Length for the compact diesels is 64 inch for the compact diesels and 96 inch for the little mods, both at 1320 lbs. Compact Diesel at 13.7 inch and the little mods at 13 inches hitch height.
While we have 3 EFI systems in the shop, we don't use them with diesel. Diesel doesn't need to be metered much and there is not much in PD elements or CR (affordable) that can deliver enough fuel.
The Part numbers I have to give you on monday. The guys are up in Denmark this weekend.
Get the old basic 1.9 VW stuff with the old heads, where you can fit the right injectors.

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 17, 2021 04:04AM
Absolutely, no problem thank you again for all your help. I was able to find some rods on Aliexpress they are Titanzing 4340 H beam 144mm it shows it fits a lot of the 1.9 TDI's. I'm not having any luck finding the cam...is there anywhere you would recommend? Also on the turbo are you all making custom intakes or using the factory one? I was going to attempt to put a high performance clutch in the stock manual transmission and just use it, do you think that's a good idea or should I rethink that? Sorry for all the questions.

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 18, 2021 06:49AM
Hi!
The junkyard would be your best bet - if they sold the 1.8 turbo in the USA? (Audi A3 / A4). Otherwise, we could check here.
Intakes - the stock ones are actually not bad. That's not where you're going to gain much.
Most guys here run Tilton Nascar clutches.
The original transmisson - ahm - these are FD drive cars. Depending on your rear-end ratio you better go direct. Planetary rear ends are usually used here (Mf35 planetary gear sets are cheap aftermarket and then get mated to car diffs).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2021 08:54AM by Sascha.

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 18, 2021 08:49AM
Ok thank you, I think it came in a Jetta here as well but I will see if all the 1.8 turbo gas cams are the same.

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 16, 2021 11:17AM
Thanks, didnt mean to bother you !!!

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 18, 2021 08:56AM
No problem - just had to dig a little and there is way more on FB from the teams to watch than on YT.
The garden pullers are usually an addition to smaller events, and the guys with the YT channels are then often filming bigger events.

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 18, 2021 09:16AM
Ok sounds good, I dont have Facebook, but I will get on my wife's and see what I can find.

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 19, 2021 06:06PM
I've sent you a p.m.

Re: Compact Diesel Puller September 20, 2021 06:54AM
I tried sending you one back but it said yours was full so I sent you one through my wife's Facebook.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,678, Posts: 229,780, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason