anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 29, 2009 08:33AM
i have been looking through some old pictures and magazines,while studing quite a few pictures of perry and stangles "solid junk"mm super stock,i have been wondering,how in the world did all of this work?im sure there is someone out there who knows something about this tractor.i have always wondered if all these hoses funcional or was this a game to be played with other pullers?also if the tractor is still intact could a good picture be posted,and if there is a chance to bring it to bg for the museum i would be up for pitching in on the fuel cost so other people can see this piece of pulling history.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 30, 2009 04:36AM
SOLID JUNK WAS IMPRESSIVE BACK IN THE 70'S, USUALLY A TOP 3 TRACTOR. AT ONE TIME IT RAN ON NITRO METHANE. OLD DAVE HAD SWITCHES ON THE THROTTLE AND WOULD FLIP THEM ON FOR MORE FUEL AS NEEDED.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 30, 2009 05:38AM
I have a picture of Dave Stangles solid junk pulling at Farmfest in 1976. How bout Loyd McVehs Super Banana sitting next to it at the pull. Now thats pulling at its best. I think it was at Crystal Lake MN.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 30, 2009 06:18AM
I have heard a story from my Dad that back in the 70's, he saw it pull in Evansville, IN. He said, " Stangle was hooked to the sled on one track in the 12,000lb. SS class and they were calling his name to hook to the sled on the other track in the 12,000 OPEN." he wondered if he would hook back to back and he did go right back and finished in the top 3 in both classes.

Have heard that some of the hoses were not in use all the time but could switch them around @ any given time.

We have heard it spent some time @ the Museum in Bowling Green.

Eric Prewitt
The Prewitt Pulling Team
Public Relations for
The Pulling Radio Network

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 30, 2009 06:56AM
Any pictures. My uncles are huge MM fans

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 30, 2009 09:13AM
eric,i dont belive that solid junk ever was at the museum,the tractor your refering to was the allison team mm.it is a ub special with a allison.that ole ub looks huge with the v-12 and 30.5 bfg's on it.ive always wondered how well the transmission and rearend held up at 12,000 lbs and that motor in front of it.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 30, 2009 09:51AM
This a a picture from old Puller Magazines, sorry for the poor quality
I am i big MM fan and would like to see more information on the old G 1000
Sorry all other pictures i have are larger files than 500KB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2009 09:51PM by Dick Morgan.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 30, 2009 10:14AM
Thanks. Always like seeing the old iron.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 30, 2009 11:20AM
I get to see Dave at the pulls hear in Indiana. He is part of the Richland Pullers Assoc. that puts on pulls at Rochester and Logansport Ind. The last few years he and his son David have run a semi with the local semi group.
I also bought a dvd on ebay that was footage of the Buck Pulls 1977-79 and early in the dvd it has Solid Junk putting 20-30 feet on The Rooster and the rest of the field.
The first photo was taken at Bowling Green mid 70's and the second (sorry kinda dark) is from the REAL Indy Super Pull 1976. I think they may have won best appearing tractor that year. When it ran right was very hard to beat.

Richard Crowell
IMTPA

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 30, 2009 04:29PM
would anyone have pictures of the allison team ub special?? would love to see some.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 30, 2009 05:14PM

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 30, 2009 06:52PM
THANK YOU,,,,,,,,I APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORT!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 31, 2009 04:24AM
I wish I had more pictures of it and wish I saw the real thing. The two links I posted earlier where from the Minneapolis-Moline Winter Convention that was held in Sublette, IL (north central IL) earlier this year (first weekend in March '09). Yes, that is the real deal and it is complete to my knowledge. I unfortuantely did not get to go although I am only an hour away. My wife had our baby 3 weeks early, so had other priorities. I still think it was a conspiracy...lol..just kidding. If you get on the Minneapolis-Moline collector's club as well as the Prairie Gold RUSH collector's club websites, you can probably find out a lot more information about the Allison tractors.

I do not have it any longer, but I used to have a copy of one of our club magazines, the Prairie Gold Rush, it was from the late 90s. It had a real nice spread on Solid Junk and the other Moline pullers of the 70s. It educated me greatly and I think them boys were way ahead of their time. The picture on the front cover was of Solid Junk doing a wheel stand. There were other pictures taken from "the stands" in there too. Ask around on those message boards and you should get some good info.

Thanks again

Aaron

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 31, 2009 02:50AM
MMZTU, got anymore of those photo's of the Allison Teams UB? By the way, where were those photo's taken? I'm currently in the process of completing my collection of parts in preparation for building a full size, operation Allison powered UB. I could use all the photo's of either of the Allison Teams UB's that I can get. My target date is to start construction next fall and have it completed by late next spring, or early summer. My target is to have it done in time for the White River Valley Antique Association show, fall of 2010. Minneapolis Moline will be the featured tractor that year.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 31, 2009 03:19AM
Here are some more photos of the Allison Team. These were taken at Bowling Green Early 70's. One has 30's and other has 24.5's both ran well.
I have about 50-60 photos from the early to mid 70's from Bowling Green. I will try and get more scanned and posted soon.

Richard Crowell
IMTPA

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2009 04:06AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 31, 2009 03:31AM
those are great pictures. i was wondering, would you have any pictures of Ralph Chamberlins allison powered 1850 Oliver?? tractor was called The Honker. it had long white pipes. just wondering.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 31, 2009 08:40AM
Here is a couple different versions of The Honker. The photo of the green version is dated oct 71 and was taken at the M&W Power Show. The other photo was taken mid 70's at Bowling Green.
It's funny you asked about this tractor it was one of my favorite tractors at that time.

Richard Crowell
IMTPA

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 31, 2009 10:58AM
Love those old mods

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 31, 2009 11:48AM
those pics are great,there were a bunch of guys from ontario that pulled the circuit also,like eugene bogart with the "blue mule" a 9000 ford,the mcvicars had a 6030,gordy outredge had a d-21,alan mccallum had a 1206,jack grant from chatham had an excellent 966,i am hopefull the are in your pile.thanks

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 31, 2009 01:42PM
Mike
Dont know if this is one of the guy's you mentioned. I dont have very many Super Stock Tractors mostly Mods.

Richard

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 31, 2009 02:33PM
thanks for all the great photos. so many tractors and drivers many have forgotten about. here are some more. GerdersBros. from il, oliver 1850 with allison. Paul Bosse ,W9 with 4 460 ford engines. Tommy Hoskyn, cockshutt or farmall with ford tank engine. several more i'm sure.

Re: Heres a small pic of E.J's Double Ugly April 01, 2009 03:15PM
Thought i had some others,may need to be scanned yet,that or lost somewhere in my computer lol,Randy.

Re: Heres a small pic of E.J's Double Ugly April 01, 2009 10:36PM
EJ was a Icon here in Michigan in the 70s & 80s .He always had a dirty white T shirt on and dirty blue geans
and ugly pair of Allisons. When his boy was old enough to go with him he dressed the same way. He
help put on a lot of good shows. never thought to take any pictures. Thanks.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 31, 2009 03:41AM
on of the tractors was still complete a few years ago,was in museum at bg a couple times.im sure someone on here khows were it is stored at currently.its got to be worth the drive to view it and take some notes for your retro build.im sort of a history buff,and have always thought it would be neat to have a "pulling tractor" hall of fame,no drivers,just pullers.the allison team would definatly be in there,along with solid junk.it seems like in another 20 years ,the early days will be forgoten,like it never happened.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 30, 2009 08:31PM
You may be right was just told that a Moline was there and informant said it was Solid Junk I have never been there. Only vaguely remember seeing Solid Junk in Louisville when I was a kid. Sure would like to see it make a pass now.

the attached picture is of my Brothers Moline, Minnie Moline, we enjoy our Molines to.

Eric Prewitt
The Prewitt Pulling Team
Public Relations for
The Pulling Radio Network

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2009 09:53PM by Dick Morgan.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 31, 2009 12:46PM
EJ Potter Ugly one and Ugly two out of Michigan. Dose any one have pictures of his Allisons? Great pictures guys!

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 31, 2009 01:18PM
Great pics guys, just can't get enough of them, it's to bad we didn't take many pics when we pulled the Allison. I do have a few pics that we have taken the last few years. How can get them on here? Hey old mod puller, call me. 815-627-8771 I answer your questions best I can. Doug

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm March 31, 2009 01:51PM
Doug
I wasnt very old when these photos were taken but i can still remember that glow of the manifolds at night with the 8-10 inch flames out of the headers that was just awsome. Those were some exciting times for pulling.
I will try and get more photos scanned and posted soon.

Richard Crowell
IMTPA

Re: Old Mini Rod Photos March 31, 2009 02:04PM
Who wants to drive these Mini's??

Re: Old Mini Rod Photos March 31, 2009 02:19PM
richard the pics are great,one of the amazing things about this era is that,everyone thought there was a chance,and everyone had a different idea about every mechanical part of the vehicle.i have to get my wife to post my pics for me.ive shown these to my boy ,thats 15,he just says wow someone really drove that.

Re: Old Mini Rod Photos April 01, 2009 02:17AM
Wow, would really have to be insane to drive one of those!

hey jake or dick,old pictures March 31, 2009 02:11PM
it looks like there is some interest in "the good old days" of pulling.is there or could there be a section on your site for historical purposes,say to load old pictures and some of the stories that go with them.and at bg ive asked a few of the blue shirts,that where in the museum,if any old video from the early years at bg was available to purchase,i never got a good clear answer.surely the blueshirts or someone taped these pulls in the late 60s or early 70s.

Re: hey jake or dick,old pictures April 01, 2009 03:21AM
Anybody have any old pics of the "Mean Machine", a Continental V-12 powered mod out of Nebraska back in the day? I think the owner was named Dick Payne. It was the only Continental that I have ever seen really run good. When I was a boy it was the coolest mod around.

Re: Heres my neighbors Mod tractor from the 70's-80's April 01, 2009 04:17PM
This is my neighbor Charles Melton and his tractor called the Educator that i traveled and helped pit with almost every weekend i could go.1st pic is in 1976,yep thats a young Randy in the drivers seat lol,i was 12 yrs old.He was picking me up heading for a OSTPA pull.

The tractor is a Cockshutt 40 rearend and 3 440 Plymoths,1 out front that was lifted off (see engine crane) for the 7 mod class,that left 2 side by side in back hooked together by a heavy double roller chain.That chain then went to the main driveshaft that the front engine was coupled to,cheaper than a cross box.The 3 auto trannys were shifted by a series of rods and cables.Ran the 3 engines in the 9 mod and 12 Unl or open.Believe it or not,but we never had any problems using the double chain instead of a crossbox.The chain was shielded.

2nd pic is from 1978 or 79,still a Cockshutt 40 rear and 3 440's,but was lightened up to make the 7 mod class with the 3 engines hooked crank to crank and a auto tranny,The Tranny was shortly changed to a Crower-Glide and Lenco reverser.Ran the 7-9 and 12 Mod class still

3rd pic is from 1982,another new frame,a lighter wedge instead of channel iron.Also had been switched to a JD skidder rear about a year earlier.Still running the Crower and Lenco,but a 2 speed Lenco box was added.This is the setup he ran at Louisville in 81 and 82 and got a 5th and 6th place in the 7 mod.The swingset was to pull the front engine off to pull in the 55 or 5800 mod class.Ran with 3 in the 7 and 9 mod class.

4th pic is the same tractor today,but now owned by Bill Martin of Jamestown Ohio and called the Gator.As you can see, a little more aluminum and chrome has been added.Hard to beleive that the tractor is over 25 years old now and still runs good in what was the old BMTPA mod class that is now called the OMTPA i think is the new name of the club?.They split from the Buckeye club this winter.

Randy.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm February 08, 2022 12:15AM
Me too i have seen videos of it but never in person. My dads friend also owns a Minnieapolis Moline puller called Light MM Up.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm September 03, 2017 07:29PM
do you have any other modified pics from farm fest 76 ? I would like to see them I have some from parents that was there

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm April 01, 2009 04:47PM
all the photos are great.to mr.crowell your pics were great,the 1206 is alan from brantford ontario,i would be interested in acquireing copies of your collection,i have a few from my fathers time running the circuit in the 70's with a ford super stock,i will be showing those in the coming days.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm April 02, 2009 10:13AM
Mike
I am working on scanning all of my old photos. I hope to have this done before i get in the fields planting. Email me and i will get your info and i will get them to you.
rcrowell@indmpa.com

Richard Crowell
IMTPA

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm April 01, 2009 04:57PM
great photos everyone,mr crowell thank you, the 1206 was alan from brantford ontario,i would like to acquire more of your collection,my dad has a few of the ford super stock he built with his friend in the 70's when they pulled the curcuit i will be showing them soon.

Seeking a pic ot two of "The Fooler" April 02, 2009 03:51AM
Hi,

Seeking a picture or two of a Minneapolis Moline that was equipped with an Allison V-12 called "The Fooler" A friend of mine saw it when he was a kid and would like to have more pics of it. Are there any out there? I am in hopes that there are and someone will share. Thanks in advance.

UB MM rear and frame on ebay num is 220389045405 April 02, 2009 04:50AM
Found on ebay if anybody's looking to put on together it also had an allison in it at one point in time

Re: UB MM rear and frame on ebay num is 220389045405 April 02, 2009 02:31PM
1976 Farmfest MN Loyd McVey Super Banana

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 10:43PM by Dick Morgan.

Re: UB MM rear and frame on ebay num is 220389045405 April 02, 2009 02:39PM
Team UB Allison

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 10:44PM by Dick Morgan.

Re: UB MM rear and frame on ebay num is 220389045405 April 02, 2009 03:01PM
Judge

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 10:45PM by Dick Morgan.

Re: UB MM rear and frame on ebay num is 220389045405 April 02, 2009 03:09PM
?????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 10:45PM by Dick Morgan.

Re: UB MM rear and frame on ebay num is 220389045405 April 02, 2009 03:14PM
Experimental Puller 2000s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 10:46PM by Dick Morgan.

Re: UB MM rear and frame on ebay num is 220389045405 April 02, 2009 07:37PM
Bowdieotte this chassis is from Bob harlow from texas any info thank's

Re: UB MM rear and frame on ebay num is 220389045405 April 02, 2009 11:19PM
bet them would be a rough ride.look like recaps,maybe?

Re: UB MM rear and frame on ebay num is 220389045405 April 03, 2009 01:20AM
I remember that JD from one of the M&W power shows back in the early 70's. I've often wondered what ever became of those tires.
Clark

Re: Seeking a pic ot two of "The Fooler" April 04, 2009 07:37AM
There is a picture of a MM with a allison on board for sale on www.fullpull.com under the for sale section

Re: Seeking a pic ot two of "The Fooler" April 04, 2009 10:10AM
Thats the mod of Bill Newlin he was from Il.

Re: anyone familiar with"solid junk" mm February 08, 2022 12:12AM
I think someone by the name of Ron Perry owned the tractor. Stangle drove it. I am not sure who built it though.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,721, Posts: 229,845, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,972.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro