Number of Hooks in a Class and Overall Showtime June 20, 2022 07:32AM
It seems like this is talked about in a number of posts but I didn't recall a thread dedicated to it. This is specific to the GN/Champ Tour. As a fan and puller I've always felt that a class is best when there are 10-12, with no more than 15, vehicles per class and that a single session should last about 3-3.5 hours.

The class size limitation is to try and keep the same track conditions for all competitors as much as possible while balancing a good number of top tier competitors. The session length is to keep people entertained and get their $$ worth while keeping the show to a watchable length and to give the poor workers a reasonable working time.

What do others think?

Re: Number of Hooks in a Class and Overall Showtime June 20, 2022 09:55AM
10 -15 hooks per class is fine but not sure how one would set a limit to the number of entries allowed and be fair to all the competitors. I don't mind a large class if the pull is ran at a fast pace with a good track crew, 3 minutes or so between hooks.

A pull needs to start on time. If the start time is 7:00 pm the 1st hook should be ready at 7:00 pm, all pre show activities should be done beforehand ending with the National Anthem right before the 1st hook.

The track crew should be almost as entertaining as the pull itself. I've been to a few pulls where I am amazed at how fast a good crew can get the track prepped for the next puller. But I have been to a lot more pulls that either the crew doesn't know how to groom a track or they are told to keep it in low gear so they can sell more hotdogs and beer and force parents with young children to leave before the show is even close to being over. Also no unneeded intermissions during the show.

I agree that a session should last 3 - 3 1/2 hours but to add to that - the last class should be started before 10:00 pm. If a promoter isn't sure that is possible plan on starting earlier.

Re: Number of Hooks in a Class and Overall Showtime June 20, 2022 10:53AM
If you want that you have to change things in NTPA / PPL / Badger State / Outlaw / etc.

Now everyone can show up when they want to. It doesn't matter which organization you run for.

What you are suggesting is kinda the same like we have over in Europe.
Before a season starts every puller has to sign in that they are running, by doing so a promotor already knows up front how many hooks he will have at his event.

Over in the USA a promotor only knows he certain to get the pre-commited teams, but in addition he can get maybe up to 40 in total.
If that happens as a promotor you might get in trouble finishing in time.....

Re: Number of Hooks in a Class and Overall Showtime June 21, 2022 05:22AM
Rudy
If you want that you have to change things in NTPA / PPL / Badger State / Outlaw / etc.

Now everyone can show up when they want to. It doesn't matter which organization you run for.

What you are suggesting is kinda the same like we have over in Europe.
Before a season starts every puller has to sign in that they are running, by doing so a promotor already knows up front how many hooks he will have at his event.

Over in the USA a promotor only knows he certain to get the pre-commited teams, but in addition he can get maybe up to 40 in total.
If that happens as a promotor you might get in trouble finishing in time.....

There are some events that do limit classes. For example I believe Hillsboro limits TWD and Norwalk limits TWD and SF, to pre-commit only. I think at the CT and GN level there should be some ability to limit classes at events that tend to get 20+ vehicles in some classes.

Re: Number of Hooks in a Class and Overall Showtime June 21, 2022 11:37AM
I think the promoter should take what they can get for numbers. If a promoter is getting big numbers in classes that means they are doing something right. It should be a complimant to the promoter for having big numbers but it is up to the promoter to get through those big classes efficiently and to keep the spectators intrest. If you are a spectator and dont care to watch 50 twd trucks like me, then take a walk around the pits, go get something to eat, or if you're camping then go back to the camper and hang out. We are blessed to have big numbers in classes. That means pulling is growing, so lets let it grow!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,723, Posts: 229,851, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,976.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro