Why is the NTPA making rules so complicated ? March 29, 2023 07:41AM
Lately it seems like every time the NTPA writes a rules they seem to have to revisit the rules and do some clarifications. Why are they so determined to micromanage the pullers. It just seems like you write a rule for tire size that states width and circumference ( this is just one example) of any given class and expect the pullers to follow the rules and show up with legal equipment. I realize there's new tech officials but stop doing all the thinking for the pullers. Stop working against the very people that make the show happen.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Why is the NTPA making rules so complicated ? March 30, 2023 12:01AM
Agreed! Can I add the pump move/space rule?

First they say no moving of the pumps. Then ok, ok, ok, pro stocks only can move their pumps.... Now any class except Light pro can move them???? In 5 years or less everyone will spend the money to move their pump back and it's no longer an advantage for anyone. Money and time wasted.....

Re: Why is the NTPA making rules so complicated ? March 30, 2023 02:48AM
In my opinion we have too many classes and many of the classes are still mostly (not all) decided by equipment instead of the driver ability.

I know lot of people have said they don't like the class (not sure why) but SSD4x4 is a great example of how rules haven't changed in 5+ years (other than diesel dielectric rating) and there are basically the same set of rules between NTPA and PPL. Traction is limited and therefore it doesn't matter if you make 2200 HP or 3500 HP, you're going to have a chance to be competitive on most nights and most tracks. There have been small advances in tires and turbos over the years and you can't just sit still if you expect to win every night but its not going to cost you an arm and a leg to be competitive and have a chance every hook.

Make the classes more like drivers classes either by taking traction away or making certain equipment the same for everyone and then you don't have to have rule modifications every year in search of HP.

Re: Why is the NTPA making rules so complicated ? March 30, 2023 03:53AM
Thank you for sharing such a profound perspective. I couldn't agree more. I wrote an article several years ago that advocated every class drop their respective weight by 10%. Needless to say I got plenty of pushback. In fact I had some pullers tell me they needed more weight, nor less.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Why is the NTPA making rules so complicated ? March 30, 2023 04:29AM
I also agree with that notion, and the pro stock class is a perfect example, they are making more power than they can use which has cost them a lot of money not only to make that power but then to try to keep tires under them, I love the power but also very much enjoy watching someone who has to put some effort into driving one to a win so obviously I’m not an advocate for oversized 24.5s or the idea of putting 30.5s on them.

Re: Why is the NTPA making rules so complicated ? March 30, 2023 05:16AM
Team one
I also agree with that notion, and the pro stock class is a perfect example, they are making more power than they can use which has cost them a lot of money not only to make that power but then to try to keep tires under them, I love the power but also very much enjoy watching someone who has to put some effort into driving one to a win so obviously I’m not an advocate for oversized 24.5s or the idea of putting 30.5s on them.

Easy fix...drop it to 9000lbs. and give them 30.5's

Let's call it the 619 rule.

Re: Why is the NTPA making rules so complicated ? March 30, 2023 08:03AM
Dick Morgan
Thank you for sharing such a profound perspective. I couldn't agree more. I wrote an article several years ago that advocated every class drop their respective weight by 10%. Needless to say I got plenty of pushback. In fact I had some pullers tell me they needed more weight, nor less.

As a competitor I started in the 2.6 diesel 4x4 class where every year you needed to upgrade your turbo in order to be competitive and only certain pullers had access to the best equipment. I was sick of always having to spend money on new equipment just to try and keep up and knowing because I didn't have certain builder's motors I would never have the best technology anyways. On top of it you were breaking equipment every two runs.

So, when I came back I decided to join a class where reliability, consistency, and driver ability was in the forefront. As other's have said pullers are their own worst enemy in some cases. We were asked by NTPA if we should increase our weight from 7500 to 7800 and most everyone said no.

Re: Why is the NTPA making rules so complicated ? March 31, 2023 06:39AM
I agree that this drama we have seen recently with tires (Mitas 24.5s and now the minis) is a little confusing because... the rules limit the tire size. That is one of the most fundamental rules almost every motorsport has. So how can there be so much ambiguity about what constitutes a legal tire? How can someone all of a sudden come out with a TWD tire that is notably wider and still be within the rules? No one has thought to exploit that in the past 40 years when we have gone through multiple "hot" tire designs and manufacturers?

Seems to me that the criteria should be that to be legal a tire must fit in a X square by Y deep box when mounted on a rim of some defined diameter and width, and inflated to some defined psi. Doesn't seem like it needs to be more complicated than that. Perhaps for the mini class you could add a max weight per tire (maybe min also).

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,748, Posts: 229,892, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,087, Posts: 225,995.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM