Cross Bolts August 15, 2023 02:43PM
So for a guy who has a tractor that he only pulls with, mind you 3,000 rpm farm stock pace classes, (no farm or money for bigger class Confused ) running the cast exhaust elbow yet how would one go about cross bolts close to the turbo? I would think the cast elbow would be weakened by adding the bolts and IF the exhaust wheel would hit them, it could shatter the elbow creating more pieces? Would cross bolts in the exhaust pipe alone be sufficient? I know its not a high likelihood having that happen in the types of classes I pull in but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Any input appreciated

Re: Cross Bolts August 15, 2023 03:56PM
localpuller
mind you 3,000 rpm farm stock Any input appreciated

What "farm stock" motor ever ran over 2850 rpm in the field?

Re: Cross Bolts August 15, 2023 11:04PM
A White 2-180 equipped with the Caterpillar 3208 was rated from the factory at 2800 rpm. High idle no load from the factory was 3000rpm.

Re: Cross Bolts August 16, 2023 12:40AM
If I remember correctly a later 1466 and 86 run 2860 high idle.

Re: Cross Bolts August 15, 2023 09:53PM
A cast iron exhaust elbow behind the turbine, in a sport tractor? Absolutely no go.
Even if you're making it and apply the required or recommended bolts there, I wont trust this brittle cast stuff as far as I'm able to throw a piano. Probably in a case of turbine failure, the bolts themselves making a good job, but the whole elbow will break off. Either you deal with fabricating a new elbow out constr steel, and equipped with the bolts, or just lets this cast iron thing as it is, because it doesn't matter if you're having bolts inside the cat stuff or barely nothing behind the turbine.

Re: Cross Bolts August 15, 2023 11:45PM
It happens... we had to put the rule into place 15 years ago in a 3000 rpm class when the exhaust wheel flew out and hit a spectator.

(And I always said " you want to start an argument at a tractor pull run into a crowd and yell farm stock then run off") LOL.........

But all Joking aside we do need to keep the family in our prayers..

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,724, Posts: 229,854, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,084, Posts: 225,979.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro