Need advice on building an IH puller August 14, 2013 11:31AM
Hello all. First time poster. Hopefully you guys can help me out.

I'm pretty new to tractor pulling. Been around it all my life just never built one.

I'm wanting to build a 3000 rpm turbo tractor to pull in the 9500/10500 class.

Is an IH 706/806 a good platform to start with? Is the rear end gearing good enough or should I go a different route?

I'm wanting to build a DT466 to power the tractor. I have heard some blocks are better, ie roller motor. What's the best block to start with? Will this engine already be p pumped? What turbo should I expect to buy or at least a rough idea? I have also been told that I can mix crank, rod, and pistons to get more ci; which ones?

Where should Is the best place to look for trans parts?

Thanks for any help and I'm sure I will have more questions.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 14, 2013 11:48AM
Awww man everyones got one of them! Lol, just kidding, there should be lots of help on here

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 14, 2013 11:49AM
The farm has always been IH so it's the only way to go!

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 14, 2013 12:15PM
either one will work just be sure what ring gear it has before you start. if I was you go ahead and have the diff needled. turbo depends on class rules and pump you will use. precision allied atlas hyper d&r wipeout all have gears just to name a few. as far as a block any 466 will work fine at 3000 rpm . hope this helps

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 14, 2013 12:17PM
Really hoping to find a roller motor and start with it. What gear do I want for 3000? Turbo rules are 3 in 3 out. The pump will be a p pump just not sure of cc's yet.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 14, 2013 02:01PM
If your real searous, and ready to spend the money, go with the big lifter block, get the best cam, cylinder head, turbo and injection system money can buy. and now your just getting started. Limeted rpm classes are more costly than open if you wanna win.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 14, 2013 02:19PM
What block would be the big lifter? Would this also be the roller block? I am partnering with someone so the cost will be split and spread out over a year or two.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 18, 2013 02:57PM
I have a D&R 600 long block with Mondello head that dyno'd north of 1K HP@ 3K RPM. It already has all the good parts in it .Let me know if you're interested.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 14, 2013 03:39PM
Dixie binder is right. Limited RPM classes have gotten way out of hand as far as cost goes. Takes big torque and fast gears and neither are cheap. A serious 3000 rpm tractor will run with a good super farm any day of the week. If rules allow ice boxes (water to air) do it and don't waist your time with water injection.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 14, 2013 03:41PM
I am selling my DT 466 puller engine, Its a 467 big lifter block with a roller cam, ported head, ports are drilled for water injection, Hypermax head gasket, still has the AMBAC pump but I have all the parts to install a P-pump.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 18, 2013 12:24AM
Anyone else have any input? I have narrowed my search for a 93-94 dt466. Thanks for the offer gonzo but we have plans of going way bigger and want to build it ground up.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 18, 2013 12:44PM
A 466 flat tappet cam or small lifter will run with the big block deeres also. If you get the right camshaft, inj, pump and turbo and gearing it will suprize you.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 19, 2013 03:38AM
What is the right cam,pump,and turbo combo ?

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 19, 2013 03:46AM
That can be figured out, im more concerened with what the right rear end to start with is.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 19, 2013 04:08AM
If you can't find a roller block don't worry. We have roller lifters for the 1" and the 1.118 bore blocks. The lifters are drop in no machine work needed. We also have steel billet cams for the IH flat tappet, and roller. $700.00

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 19, 2013 04:11AM
No Limit i already have you info down and will be calling you soon. Thanks!

Brian, the reason we want to start with the smaller size of tractor is to have more movable weight. The lighter the tractor the more weight you have control over where it needs to be.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 19, 2013 04:18AM
not being a smart @## but why ask what rear end if you allready know you are going to use a smaller size tractor for moveable weight. you could use a 656 if you want, enough mony will make it hold up.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 19, 2013 04:20AM
What i need to know is what rear gearing to start with. The rear ends are for the most part all the same or at least take all the same gears. Just not sure what gearing would be best to use.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 19, 2013 04:09AM
A 706 or 806 rear will work good. but at that weight class u could use a 9 or 1066 no lighter than that is.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 19, 2013 04:22AM
a gas 706 ring and pinon id the faster gear set

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 19, 2013 04:24AM
do you know of any other models that would have that same gear set?

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 19, 2013 04:31AM
706 gas if it came ount on 34in rubber should be a 13/49 ring and pinion

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 19, 2013 04:44AM
Do any of the 92 and back engines have the p pump? Thats what i am really after. Wanting the p pump a plus head and would love to find a roller engine.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 19, 2013 05:01AM
look for one that has 468 on the side of the block it will be a big lifter block and i will will have roller lifters and it will have a 833 or 426 casting on the head witch both are plus heads they say the 426 head is better and don't worry about it having a p-pump. the pump shop will only charge you a couple hundred dollars for a core when they build a pump

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 19, 2013 04:25AM
But remember for durability sower rear end and faster transmission gears = less breakage

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 21, 2023 04:13AM
bought a 53 mcomick deering super w 6 .. someone had it kinda set up for pulling. understand nothing about this. but kinda interesting.
Thinking about hopping it up a little .... suggestions . Dont even know weight classes thanks

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 19, 2013 04:31AM
Zachp
Anyone else have any input? I have narrowed my search for a 93-94 dt466. Thanks for the offer gonzo but we have plans of going way bigger and want to build it ground up.

I could be wrong but aren't the 93-95 466's the ngd motors with the intake in the valve cover ? I believe you should be looking at 92 and back motors but like I said I could be wrong.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller August 19, 2013 04:33AM
i think some 93 school buses still had the old style

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller September 09, 2013 11:40AM
Ok we bought a tractor. Now i need help on finding a good ta delete kit. The tractor has a dt466 p pump plus head 5x22 injectors.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller September 10, 2013 05:09AM
Also, are there factory 20x38 inch wheels out there somewhere with a 9 bolt pattern? Or is that going to be more of a custom deal that we have to make ourselves? What all parts are needed for the TA delete? i havent had much luck at performance places finding this and only finding them at general parts places online. Anyone have any good leads where to start?

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller September 10, 2013 06:04AM
Call Allied on TA and wheels will have to me made or wait someone will have some on here for sale.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller September 10, 2013 07:14AM
Bad Medicine,
I just spoke with Dwayne at Allied. Im going to wait a few weeks until his stock is back up on the TA parts. I think you are right on the wheels, i will wait until some come up for sale. We have a set now but we were hoping for a little wider than what these are.

Sylvester,
Just purchased a tractor with an 856 rear, DT466 and 1066 sheet metal and front frame.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller September 10, 2013 07:10AM
If I were you I would build off a 706 platform. There is a guy up by me that runs a 706 with a 466 in 7000 hot farm and has lots of movable weight. The 686 rear end will hold up if you want to spend a lot of money. Im in the proses of building a 7000lb hot farm and I sold my 656 chassis because it would cost to much to get it were the 706 chassis already is.

Re: Need advice on building an IH puller September 10, 2013 07:27AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,758, Posts: 229,915, Members: 3,336.
This forum: Topics: 37,093, Posts: 226,014.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM