Transmission: Auto vs. Standard September 12, 2023 10:56AM
What do you guys prefer in a 4x4 super stock pulling truck? Limited to 500" with single carb and factory transfer case. I've always run a C-6 w/5500 stall with good results on the track but had to shift because of the low first gear and it wouldn't hold together long. Currently starting to rebuild the truck and am considering going to a sm465, if I stay auto I'll go to a Powerglide. Curious on your thoughts and opinions

Re: Transmission: Auto vs. Standard September 12, 2023 03:26PM
Torque converters are power killers.
Get the 465 and pro fab parts and a GOOD multi disc clutch.
And please get a SFI clutch can.
Well, actually flywheel can.

Re: Transmission: Auto vs. Standard September 12, 2023 05:59PM
If you would like to run and automatic with a converter, you will need to make more power than anyone with a manual trans setup in the class to be competitive. You can figure 10 percent loss minimum, but will be more than that. Been there, done that.

Re: Transmission: Auto vs. Standard September 12, 2023 10:19PM
There's a truck from New York that comes out this way with an automatic that is able to kick our ass! I know we have been on the end of the ass whoopin more than once

Re: Transmission: Auto vs. Standard September 13, 2023 05:53AM
Thank you for the input, my engine builder has been leaning me towards the Profab 465. I've been looking at the Crower clutches, do you like the pedal version or the non-pedal setup?

Re: Transmission: Auto vs. Standard September 13, 2023 09:05AM
Good question on type of clutch!
A pedal clutch works good.
A bit of a learning curve on full centrifugal, but once you get it dialed in, that is an excellent option too.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,954, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,037.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009