"Gone" Pro Stock Engine Run Away At Lufkin,Texas October 27, 2023 06:09AM
I just spent about 2 plus hours on the Outlaw Facebook page reading comments about the video of the "Gone" Pro Stock engine run away at the recent Lufkin,Texas Outlaw pull...There are now over 1200 comments and I'm amazed at the ignorance by some of the comments..Several were saying that the owners must be stupid not to have a air and fuel shut off on this tractor..These people seem to think that tractor pulling has practically no safety rules at all..The air and fuel shut offs were pulled but it kept on going for awhile..It was probably the worst run away that I've seen but it finally ended with no one hurt and no rods hanging out...It sure had me on the edge of my chair.

These arm chair pullers and spectators need to actually go in to the pits and look over all of the diesel and other pullers and look at all the required safety equipment..They need it explained to them that lots of this safety equipment has been required for many years and that new things are added as needed...

Re: "Gone" Pro Stock Engine Run Away At Lufkin,Texas October 27, 2023 09:02AM
How long can a pro stock run at full throttle with a full load of fuel? I have to think it would go through whatever is in the tank pretty quick with all the fuel being burnt. Are smaller fuel tanks a possible answer? No more fuel, no more runaway.

Re: "Gone" Pro Stock Engine Run Away At Lufkin,Texas October 27, 2023 10:24AM
That wasn't wide open. Otherwise the rpm would have run away till the rods come out.

Re: "Gone" Pro Stock Engine Run Away At Lufkin,Texas October 27, 2023 03:13PM
if air and fuel was pulled why did it run so long? something had to malfunction

Re: "Gone" Pro Stock Engine Run Away At Lufkin,Texas October 28, 2023 09:25AM
Maybe it wasnt running off on fuel?? Perhaps it was running on engine oil from somewhere? I highly doubt that the air or fuel shutoff failed. Just some things to think about instead of automatically "ASSuming" the owner or equipment failed.Think!!!

Re: "Gone" Pro Stock Engine Run Away At Lufkin,Texas October 28, 2023 03:18PM
I have two serious questions. Is it possible that if the dump valve is plumbed in to the return line to the tank that it could backfeed the fuel pump return giving it fuel?

Second question. This is the second runaway I’ve seen like this this year. I am beginning to think that we are moving so much air into the turbo charger that when the guillotine is tripped, the air pressure/vacuum is actually jamming it in the slide part way shut. The springs don’t have enough power to pull it shut and when it’s finally dead, the guillotine goes shut and everyone thinks it actually shut in the first place.

Any ideas?

Re: "Gone" Pro Stock Engine Run Away At Lufkin,Texas October 29, 2023 02:18AM
Thiughts, if the dump valve was istalled incorrectly, then yes this could happen. But if the dump valve was installed correctly, that would not be possible. As for the guiletine thing I do believe that the slide hanging up could happen.

Re: "Gone" Pro Stock Engine Run Away At Lufkin,Texas October 29, 2023 10:02AM
Old timer

I just want to clarify my dump valve question. Dump valve in the supply line between aviaid pump and fuel pump. Dump line from valve tee’d into return line from pump. Just wondering if 40-60 lb supply pressure would force fuel both ways in the return line. Some back to the tank and some backfeeds the injection pump. Simple check valve would make sure that doesn’t happen.

Re: "Gone" Pro Stock Engine Run Away At Lufkin,Texas October 29, 2023 09:40AM
I think “thoughts?” Is correct, they pull so much air in that the springs can’t overcome the vacuum and they only partially close or don’t close at all.

Re: "Gone" Pro Stock Engine Run Away At Lufkin,Texas October 29, 2023 06:30AM
I was in no way trying to blame owner for negligence or inadequate safety equipment, I was just wondering if anyone knew what actually left it run so long.

Re: "Gone" Pro Stock Engine Run Away At Lufkin,Texas October 29, 2023 11:57AM
Yes a properly plumbed fuel system will have a check valve in the return line from the injector pump to the tank return.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009