Drawbar Angle January 27, 2015 12:46PM
Most organigations limit you to a 15 degree angle on your drawbar so I'm presuming the steeper the angle the more advantage you have????

Re: Drawbar Angle January 27, 2015 01:01PM
If you are limited to 20" hitch height? how does the angle of the drawbar change that? the hook point stays the same in relation to the vehicle regardless of angle?right? someone enlighten me please?

Re: Drawbar Angle January 27, 2015 01:50PM
They made that rule for Doug Roberts when he had the Barnyard Beast. NTPA likes to give rules to name of puller that caused it.

Re: Drawbar Angle February 05, 2015 12:30AM
Don’t know about it being a Roberts rule, but that is when it came about when I pulled. When I built the first alcohol power “Barnyard Beast” with John Deere 4560 sheet metal we used 4010 cast rear end. We had used that rear end in the 5,500 Super Stock class as a diesel and never dreamed we wouldn’t have enough front end weight in the 8000 lb Super Stock class, but we didn’t. The faster you turn the tires the more it takes on the front. If the tractor got to high and hit the wheelie bars it would unload the rear tires and cost you a lot of distance. We raised the tractor front end up in the shop with a hoist till the wheelie bars hit and the hitch was about 16 inches, so most of the time we ran and 18 to 19 inch drawbar and kept the front end down some and the hitch was actually higher going down the track than a 20 inch hitch would have been when you get to high. We used an Engler drawbar and came up with another idea to put a new 1 inch front hitch pin hole 2 ½ inches lower than the one we had in the frame and run the hitch at about 45 degrees or more. Our theory was with the front wheels on the ground it made the 1 ½ minimum drawbar cross section required behind the hole about ¾ inches lower at the hole compared to the back of drawbar. The hook would lie on the back of the hitch at 45 degrees or more and that is where the draw bar stand measured you. For the first two years we ran it no one cared as they thought we were screwing ourselves because the hole was lower when you used a drawbar stand. Now if you were using a tape measure at back of hole that is a different story. I called it a forgiving hitch as if you missed your weight and front end was on the ground you were running a maximum hitch, if you missed your weight and your front end got to high you would lose about ¾ of an inch in drawbar as the hook transfer from laying on the back of the hitch to the back of the hole. So as you go to spin out at the end and front end starts to come down you started to gain back ¾ of an inch of drawbar. We had to weld the back of drawbar up about twice a year to keep that advantage as the hook really worked on that area. After a while everyone else figured it out and started doing the same and with cast rear ends it took some work to get the hook in as stuff got in the way. So when we built the last tractor two years later the rule had changed to 15 degrees maximum. I recommend everyone to run as close to that as possible and it is tough to do with all the different types of tires and air pressures now in use. Hope that answers some of the questions. Thanks, Doug

Re: Drawbar Angle February 05, 2015 01:58AM
Glad someone got on here and explained the rule and why it was made. Thanks Doug! I can see why Outlaws has done so well. It's called leadership and Outlaws has it with Doug Roberts. From a good puller in the day to knowledgable on building and rules and now running soon to be biggest if not already the best pulling association in the country. Hats off to Doug and the Outlaws and thanks for the best pulling on TV.

Re: Drawbar Angle February 05, 2015 02:50AM
Thanks for the kind words and glad you like are TV shows, but its our great pullers and promoters that make Outlaw what it is. We have a lot of great people from tech, entry, announcers, film crew, etc. that makes it happen. Its a lot of work to keep it all together. Thanks, Doug

Re: Drawbar Angle February 05, 2015 03:12AM
Thanks Doug for coming on and giving everyone a short course on the subject. Your explaination helps and as I said "A hitch is a hitch is a hitch it's not that simple" you explained it a lot better than I could have and as you see I didn't even attempt to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 03:14AM by farmall puller.

Re: Drawbar Angle February 05, 2015 05:08PM
That is why some are more successful at pulling they work at it and find the edge and try new stuff. You see that in Outlaws now as Doug is always wanting to be better than the same old, same old style of pulling that has been around for 50 years.

Re: Drawbar Angle January 27, 2015 02:14PM
Parks Rule. Bahahaha

Re: Drawbar Angle January 27, 2015 02:30PM
Jim I can tell you there is something to how a drawbar is put under a tractor as to how a tractor responses to the hitch height. I not going to elabrorate but I firgued it out years ago. A hitch is a hitch is a hitch it's not that simple. I've said to much so I be quiet now. Maybe sometime I see you I'll give you my take on the subject.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 03:13AM by farmall puller.

Re: Drawbar Angle January 28, 2015 05:27AM
Unless it's creating some tomfoolery with the hook not hanging free I don't see how it can. Physics says that the tractor only knows that the hook is X inches behind and Y inches below the rear axle.

Re: Drawbar Angle January 28, 2015 06:04AM
Deer Puller

This would be true if the chain was not at an angle relative to the hook point

Re: Drawbar Angle January 27, 2015 11:33PM
New one coming,,,,,,,,
Parks Rule. Bahahaha

210 diameter rule will be abolished !

Re: Drawbar Angle January 28, 2015 06:14AM
As long as the hitch point height (20 inches)and length from the rear wheel center (18 inches) is absolutely solid and cannot move or flex under load in any direction......I don't care if the drawbar is connected to the radiator or dashboard .. If the drawbar is tilted up at the rear and the edge of the pull hole is lower than the tail of the drawbar, now you've got sumthin to talk about.

Re: Drawbar Angle January 28, 2015 09:23AM
My friend physics works,limits,helps and controls,no matter what you think !!!!!!!! Do a trial,move the angle of the hitch compared to the height of hook point,angle makes a big difference in crow bar usage.Down south they use square cheater type hitches that support the hook point from up high and back to hitch point,advantage them!!!!!!!!!! And the guys that have that type of hitch,( not legal or safe most places) argue that it makes no advantage,yet they run 50% more weight up front than those with no such hitch. Center of gravity is effected with hitch angle. Angle ,-- fan dangle,physics always plays it's role.

Re: Drawbar Angle January 28, 2015 10:18AM
So the angle of the hitch pointing up in the back will allow the hook to make a steeper angle back to the sled which would be like having a higher hitch height???

Re: Drawbar Angle January 28, 2015 12:35PM
Farmall Puller must be so narrow minded it / he / she will say cause - my Daddy said so and. We. Already run cheating tractors

Re: Drawbar Angle January 28, 2015 02:37PM
You have some kinda problem "RITA". All I said was I firgued it out years ago and sometime I see him I'll explain it to him. So that makes me a cheater somehow. Jim after I cked your profile you are not the Jim I thought you was so maybe we need to have a phone conversation, That is if it's ok with "RITA".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 03:04PM by farmall puller.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,758, Posts: 229,918, Members: 3,336.
This forum: Topics: 37,093, Posts: 226,017.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM