Cheating, deception and redemption February 24, 2011 06:34AM
It is pretty interesting to me how the sport of pulling mirrors life in some ways. For instance, the growth of grassroots pulling, from a 3mph M to a 4430 Hot Farm mirrors the groundswell of growth in the tea party political movement. I see lots of new iron coming out this year in those classes as much as I've traveled in the past 12 months.

Another thing I see is how professional sports and the microscope athletes are under for using banned substances and when they're caught what the reaction is. There is tremendous pressure to perform, and the temptation is very real when you're performing on the stages where the eyes of the world are upon you. There are three ways we've seen this dealt with: 1) Absolute denial (Rafael Palmero, Sammy Sosa) 2) Admission (Jason Giambi) and 3) Silence about the obvious (Mark McGwire--by the way who I was a huge fan of until the "Im not here to talk about the past" bit. PLEASE.)

The funny thing here is this: to a man, each and every player who has come out and admitted their use of a banned substance and demonstrated remorse has been welcomed back by fans. Those who have played the denial and silence cards find themselves outside of Cooperstown looking in, when they seemingly belong in there. Which is the smartest and best route?

Time and again fans demonstrate when their heroes show some level of humanity and in turn show humility in making amends, we forgive them. Its in our nature. Look at Charles Barkley, no saint for sure, but he's brutally honest about who and what he is when he is on the national stage. Some of the stuff he's done in recent years would have gotten others fired, but he is good at what he does and his honesty and bluntness about himself good or bad, keeps him around.

While this may seem directed at one situation, it transcends one event. This stuff happens all year folks, except it happened at the one place where the microscope focuses ever clearer and with greater scrutiny. Clearing the air or fighting for your position because you know you weren't at fault makes a lot of idle chatter disappear. With the truth comes redemption, and the opportunity to show that change can be made.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 01:59AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Dear Ryan Salenbein February 26, 2011 01:56AM
Ryan, I assume you have a computer and internet access. I have a simple request for you.

Would you just post what happened from your perspective? That may clear up some things. It may create more questions in some people's minds. It may reinforce people's opinions one way or the other.

However, if you could post your own thoughts, at least the pulling world will have your side of the story in your own words.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 01:59AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Dear Ryan Salenbien February 26, 2011 04:54AM
THANK YOU.....finally some one on here waiting to hear from the man himself to talk about what happened and why! im sure Ryan will get to the bottom of this and let the pulling world out there know just what happened in Louisville. im sure this is a very difficult time for Ryan after the passing of his grandfather and all that went on at the pull. lets give Ryan the beneft of the doubt to get on this website himself and tell his story/ no more bashing no more pointing fingers about the cheat factor, lets give Ryan that much!!!!!!!!

Re: Cheating, deception and redemption February 26, 2011 06:04AM
Ryan supporter stated “finally some one on here waiting to hear from the man himself” and I think that’s a very unfair statement. I think everyone on here would like to hear the Never Satisfied Teams side of the story. All we know and all we’ve tried to talk about are the facts as we know them; the tractor was illegal, and that’s all we know for certain.

We’ve narrowed down the list of possible ways it could have happened, but there’s been little speculation about how, who, or what else got into their tank on that specific night.

I can only speak for myself, but I’ve been diligent in trying to give Ryan the benefit of the doubt and I believe he as an individual is innocent until proven guilty. The tractor was illegal and proven guilty, but I don’t know for sure how the water got ‘hot’. I do know that the owner and driver are responsible for their vehicle, but why the water failed the tests I don’t know.

I too would like to hear the Never Satisfied Teams side of the story. If it was intentional I’d like to hear the team (or the individual) come clean about it. As Bryan wrote in his excellent post, I think people are much more willing to embrace an honest and regretful cheater. I think we have an amazing capacity to forgive, we all know that we have made our share of mistakes at one time or another, and we seek forgiveness from others. I think a honesty helps all storms pass much quicker.

If Ryan or anyone else from the team decides to post their account of the events I'll make sure that the responses are appropriate and respectful and I'll make sure they don't have to deal with malicious replies from anonymous page viewers.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,721, Posts: 229,844, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,971.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro