The Effectiveness of Face Masks December 17, 2020 02:00AM
Lots of studies on the effectiveness of face masks in one place... including the links to the source studies:

https://swprs.org/face-masks-evidence/

Wear a mask, don't wear a mask... I don't care, it should be up to you. Don't mandate masks, don't mask shame. Leave it up to each and every individual in this nation. Get the government out of our business.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks December 17, 2020 02:22AM
if you wear anything less than a N95/KN95 respirator...respirator, and wear it correctly, its just a face covering.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks December 17, 2020 05:18AM
I completely agree Bryan. An N95 or P100 mask is a great choice for those with underlying conditions. I'd encourage anyone who's at a higher risk or anyone who has concerns to use the appropriate mask. Again, it's up to each one of us to decide what best suits our level of risk. It's not the job of government to make mandates and rules (remember most of these mandates are not laws, and many aren't even executive orders) without doing it through the legislature.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks December 18, 2020 11:49AM
Every country in the world have tried different things to stop spread, it is a worldwide problem.
Only thing that has halfway worked is what china does, LIES ABOUT IT!

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks December 18, 2020 04:39PM
you don't think we lie about it, no other causes of death this past nine months, ya really.

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks December 19, 2020 04:49AM
You're both right. I think China has vastly under-reported their numbers and I'm not very confident in our numbers either. We count different than pretty much every other country in the world. In fact the CDC says only 6% of the deaths are directly from Covid (which is about 18,000 deaths as of now) Its a subtle wording change of 'have died with Covid', rather than reporting how many 'died because of Covid' (which is obviously a much more difficult number to accurately pin down). The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Yes, there are people who have died of a car accident and then tested positive and are inflating the death tally... yes there are also asymptomatic people who have slipped through the cranks and didn't get tested and their cause of death just says natural causes.. Both are true. I think the US has probably erred on the side of of over-reporting (especially since there's a financial incentive for states to do so... federal funds for Covid care and deaths).

I really wish we'd let the science lead us, especially when it comes to governmental control like masks. If you look at the graphs in the original link I posted... masks don't seem to change much. The studies posted also seem to verify that cloth masks and cheap surgical masks are just a feel good measure but not effective in even slowing the spread.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks December 21, 2020 01:06PM
IF you fart and smell it with your mask on the mask you are wearing is good for nothing except maybe a dust storm

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks December 22, 2020 08:48AM
Lewis Conner
IF you fart and smell it with your mask on the mask you are wearing is good for nothing except maybe a dust storm

Except a methane molecule is about 380pm, a common virus is around 60nm, and a respiratory droplet is around 10um.

Size matters.....

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks April 19, 2021 12:46PM
I've been busy with work projects and I've been away from the computer for a week so I've got a lot of catching up to do on posts but I thought I'd post link to another study (this time from Stanford University) that shows that face masks are not effective with regards to COVID:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7680614/

Oddly enough, the The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) is a branch of the National Institute for Health. Unsurprisingly the legacy news outlets haven't reported on the study.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks April 19, 2021 02:54PM
Very intense article. Skim it and Extract the interesting common sense findings.
No surprise that mainline mass media not reporting on this. This does not fit their lying, controlling narritive.

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks April 21, 2021 03:08AM
I think there is certainly some debate around the effectiveness of facemasks for COVID-19 but maybe I can share some reason as to why this paper doesn't have a lot of traction. It was actually picked up by major news outlets and then quickly discarded as opinion and hypothesis generating but not credible.

1. Its not actually a study, it an opinion paper. Its a summary of literature that could be correlated to the wearing of facemasks. Many of his sources are circumstantial and not directly related to the reduction in transmissions. He actually cites several meta-analyses that do conclude they are effective. His arguments on the adverse health affects have some merit but again he's applying general theory of pulmonology and O2 reductions to the wearing of face masks. He cites that the measured O2 saturation while wearing a mask is well above the acceptable limits. His argument on the long term affects is based on people wearing then contiguously for weeks which does not happen in the real world. I think his argument on the psychological affects is loose but valid given that data he provided.

2. Stanford did not conduct the study. He simply works for the Palo Alto VA which has a loose association with Stanford and he's publishing his opinion. Stanford actually acknowledged they did not support his opinion.

3. The article was a single author article that was based on other papers but was not a comprehensive review of the literature and only contained a portion of data out there on the subject. Typically you have several authors on a paper to ensure the subject is fully covered and to keep people accountable. Also, although it's technically peer reviewed the only other person that reviewed the article was the editor of the publication. For the same reasons I stated this is considered less scientifically reliable due to lack of completeness and oversight.

4. The journal itself is Med Hypothesis which is essentially the "enquirer" of scientific journals. It is so bad that that it was actually delisted from PubMed for quite some time because of fraud and lack of peer review. Basically anyone could write whatever they wanted without review and oversight and they passed it off as scientifically valid. The impact factor of the journal is 1.322. In comparison the JAMA article I cited in the other thread has an impact factor of 45.540. This means on average the the articles in JAMA are cited as credible scientific evidence in other articles 45x more per year as compared to Med Hypothesis. While I don't believe that impact factor is everything it is a very good gauge of how important and credible the journal is.

5. The author himself. If you don't know who he is a quick google search is all you need to understand he's had his share of issues with scientific credibility. Although, he has been published in other very credible journals.

I think there a reasonable debate about the use of facemasks but this article lacks several basic scientific aspects to make it credible which often times gets reasonable theory buried.

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks April 21, 2021 06:42AM
TripleAlphaProcess
I think there is certainly some debate around the effectiveness of facemasks for COVID-19 but maybe I can share some reason as to why this paper doesn't have a lot of traction. It was actually picked up by major news outlets and then quickly discarded as opinion and hypothesis generating but not credible.

1. Its not actually a study, it an opinion paper. Its a summary of literature that could be correlated to the wearing of facemasks. Many of his sources are circumstantial and not directly related to the reduction in transmissions. He actually cites several meta-analyses that do conclude they are effective. His arguments on the adverse health affects have some merit but again he's applying general theory of pulmonology and O2 reductions to the wearing of face masks. He cites that the measured O2 saturation while wearing a mask is well above the acceptable limits. His argument on the long term affects is based on people wearing then contiguously for weeks which does not happen in the real world. I think his argument on the psychological affects is loose but valid given that data he provided.

2. Stanford did not conduct the study. He simply works for the Palo Alto VA which has a loose association with Stanford and he's publishing his opinion. Stanford actually acknowledged they did not support his opinion.

3. The article was a single author article that was based on other papers but was not a comprehensive review of the literature and only contained a portion of data out there on the subject. Typically you have several authors on a paper to ensure the subject is fully covered and to keep people accountable. Also, although it's technically peer reviewed the only other person that reviewed the article was the editor of the publication. For the same reasons I stated this is considered less scientifically reliable due to lack of completeness and oversight.

4. The journal itself is Med Hypothesis which is essentially the "enquirer" of scientific journals. It is so bad that that it was actually delisted from PubMed for quite some time because of fraud and lack of peer review. Basically anyone could write whatever they wanted without review and oversight and they passed it off as scientifically valid. The impact factor of the journal is 1.322. In comparison the JAMA article I cited in the other thread has an impact factor of 45.540. This means on average the the articles in JAMA are cited as credible scientific evidence in other articles 45x more per year as compared to Med Hypothesis. While I don't believe that impact factor is everything it is a very good gauge of how important and credible the journal is.

5. The author himself. If you don't know who he is a quick google search is all you need to understand he's had his share of issues with scientific credibility. Although, he has been published in other very credible journals.

I think there a reasonable debate about the use of facemasks but this article lacks several basic scientific aspects to make it credible which often times gets reasonable theory buried.

Outstanding analysis. I was listening to NPR by chance the other morning and the show I was listening to was discussing the media with regard to COVID among other issues. Interestingly enough they made an excellent observation about how the media handles stories that include research/studies. The speaker was quick to point out that news outlets may share a research story that concluded, and this is just an example not an actual story, that "three cups of black coffee a day may prevent dementia," when, in a month or so prior, they may have broadcast a study with an opposing conclusion...talk about confusing the public!

The speaker offered that, while many won't take the time or have the time to vet research, the media should at a minimum offer some info about that study beyond a blanket statement....number of participants in the study, length of the study, all the components that legitimize the data to a respectable level. It was surprising to hear such refreshing thinking from the typically liberal NPR. Again, the media has a responsibility to adequately inform the public, not to drive a narrative like some have in the past 18 months. We have been fed conflicting information since February of 2020 and they prey upon the general public to accept whatever is said as gospel. And it isn't. Beware of the okey-doke friends.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks April 22, 2021 10:48AM
The biggest study of all is the real world study & their effectiveness seems suspect judging pre mask mandates vs. Post mandates in same area. They certainly have not been the savior promised by those mandating them for sure. And never do you hear any discussion of adverse effects. The fact that a sweaty smelly piece of cloth would seem to be bacteria heavan. Or the fact that the body was kind of designed on a fresh air in stale air out principal. But lets say they have a marginal benefit. Suiting up in full NASCAR gear in your 5 point harness equipped pickup on every parts run would probably increase your chance of survival in event of a crash over your already mandated seat belt. Mandating carrot juice for breakfast & steamed broccoli for dinner every day might increase overall cardiovascular health. You get the point. How much control are we willing to cede & we've already ceded far more than I ever imagined I'd live to see.

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks April 21, 2021 03:19AM
This whole deal is still just a hypothesis.... Only thing that is proven is you may die or you may not, and we all die in the end.

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks April 21, 2021 05:45AM
The mask think is one of the biggest power and control things ever! They put fear into us Americans that if we get corona we are gonna die so we have these whack job corona-fobes wearing masks in their own cars driving down the road and we get the ones wearing a mask and a grinding helmet in Costco too and I’m like y’all need to get a grip!!!

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks April 21, 2021 02:31PM
Well, Dr. Jeff, what do you think the mainline media has been doing for the past 40 years - not just since Feb. 2020, Brian ?
They have been and are still 1 sided opinion staters, promoting lying propaganda and trashing whoever stands in their way.
This mask article likely has more truth in it than what you hear daily with the mainline 'so-called news' outlets.

The art of journalism - presenting facts of pros & cons, so the reader / listener can make an informed decision - has been lost in recent decades.
It is very hard to believe almost anyone anymore, as one quickly refutes another one.
Trying to find reputable, credible sources today, about anything remotely related politically, is a job in itself.

At least Jake's efforts to find and link the mask article has, at least, provided food for thought.

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks April 22, 2021 05:16AM
for heath
Well, Dr. Jeff, what do you think the mainline media has been doing for the past 40 years - not just since Feb. 2020, Brian ?
They have been and are still 1 sided opinion staters, promoting lying propaganda and trashing whoever stands in their way.
This mask article likely has more truth in it than what you hear daily with the mainline 'so-called news' outlets.

The art of journalism - presenting facts of pros & cons, so the reader / listener can make an informed decision - has been lost in recent decades.
It is very hard to believe almost anyone anymore, as one quickly refutes another one.
Trying to find reputable, credible sources today, about anything remotely related politically, is a job in itself.

At least Jake's efforts to find and link the mask article has, at least, provided food for thought.

Completely agree that media has a certain pull to it. Whether it's right or left or somewhere in between. CNN, FOX, OAN, NBC, CBS. Their job is to increase viewership and so they sensationalize stories.

Interestingly enough they didn't used to be that way and a Republican paved the way for them to be biased.

Also agree that most scientific journals have a good balance of fact and openly admit limitations (in fact it's a required section in most journals).

My post wasn't against Jake, in fact I've made it well known I appreciate his viewpoint and discussion. It was a critique of the article based on well accepted scientific foundations. It doesn't mean it's not valid in some ways or the article lacks any truth it just means that the limitations of the article could be reasons why it was not picked up more widely.

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks June 14, 2021 05:17AM
News is supposed to be presented to the masses and then its up to us what to take away from it and how to react. Not to be presented and then they tell us what we should think and how we should react.

Re: The Effectiveness of Face Masks May 28, 2021 04:48AM
Just another log on the fire, this time from the University of Louisville (not yet peer reviewed):

[www.medrxiv.org]

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,620, Posts: 229,677, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 279, Posts: 2,500.

Our newest member JD_8520