what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 13, 2011 09:23AM
Hey everyone I am new to the pulling world and want to build a pulling tractor. I have some friends into it and they are running 1066s in super stock. To be honest I just cant afford to buy a nice 1066 then build it. I have also seen some ih560s with dt466 swaps and cummins 6bt swaps. I know these 560s can be bought cheap but from what I have read the rearends and transmissions dont hold up to alot of power. Just looking for opinions of what I should build. All said and done I would like to be into something for around 10k. I can do all the work myself no problem just not sure what tractor is the best affordable starting point. I dont want to build a 560 if I cant keep the rearend togther. Any information or help is appreciated cause Iam new to all of this like I said.

Thanks !!

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 13, 2011 12:03PM
You are going to have a very tough time building any pulling vehicle for 10K. What organization are you planning on running with? Do you want a tractor or truck? I know you can build a street stock or altered stock 4x4 for 10-15K. Garden tractors are going to run you over 10K.

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 13, 2011 12:53PM
Minneapolis Moline would be your best bet.Thumbs Up

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 13, 2011 01:02PM
pss1175
You are going to have a very tough time building any pulling vehicle for 10K. What organization are you planning on running with? Do you want a tractor or truck? I know you can build a street stock or altered stock 4x4 for 10-15K. Garden tractors are going to run you over 10K.

I just want to run local fairs. Nothing crazy. I think I can build something decent for around 10k ish. Iam not looking to go run any circuit or anything. Just looking to have some fun at the local level.

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 13, 2011 01:22PM
706 or 806 be a better platform to start with rather than a 560 ??

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 13, 2011 01:38PM
If you just want to pull Farm Stock You could do it for less than 10K as long as you do all the work yourself and don't expect to win all the time. You could probably even build a Hot Farm for just a hair over 10K if you got lucky on finding good deals on parts from someone moving up in the classes. 706 or 806 are good rear ends to start with, much heavier than a 560 rear end. If you are just starting Farm Stock or whatever they call it locally is probably your best bet to start with.

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 13, 2011 02:28PM
Seriously doubt you could buy a tractor and then build a hot farm for 10K. The charger would range from $1500 to $4000 depending on what you buy, plus another 2-3k for the pump. Even if you didn't count the cost of the tractor, you would have at least 10k or over building a good running hot farm.

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 13, 2011 11:59PM
The cheapest tractor you can build is to stick a DT-360 truck engine in a 560. You would need to find pulls with a light turbo class, though, preferably with a 360 cube and 3000 rpm limit. If you are looking to pull in a 466 type class, start with a 706. I have one I have been advertising here for about a year. Everyone who has wanted it was just too far away from SW WI. No ta, no 3-pt. Just build your engine and put a big clutch in and go. And it already runs and drives which will save alot of time compared to a fence row find. I think a 5.9 cummins would fit right in, and a 466 will if you switch the frame rails to 66 style. Give me a call if you think it would fit your needs. 563-6O8-1233

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 14, 2011 01:13AM
kurtvtx
The cheapest tractor you can build is to stick a DT-360 truck engine in a 560. You would need to find pulls with a light turbo class, though, preferably with a 360 cube and 3000 rpm limit. If you are looking to pull in a 466 type class, start with a 706. I have one I have been advertising here for about a year. Everyone who has wanted it was just too far away from SW WI. No ta, no 3-pt. Just build your engine and put a big clutch in and go. And it already runs and drives which will save alot of time compared to a fence row find. I think a 5.9 cummins would fit right in, and a 466 will if you switch the frame rails to 66 style. Give me a call if you think it would fit your needs. 563-6O8-1233

if i was to do a 706 or 806 whats a better swap 6bt cummins with p pump or 466 ?? Iam looking for the best bang for my buck basically.

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 14, 2011 01:34AM
P-pump cummins can be had pretty reasonable, but adapter kits can be pricey. You need to be sure you can run the p-pump in your class, as well. Both engines have extensive R+D already done by others, and will make competetive runners. It is often said, though, there is no replacement for displacement....

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 14, 2011 01:10AM
FordPuller9000
If you just want to pull Farm Stock You could do it for less than 10K as long as you do all the work yourself and don't expect to win all the time. You could probably even build a Hot Farm for just a hair over 10K if you got lucky on finding good deals on parts from someone moving up in the classes. 706 or 806 are good rear ends to start with, much heavier than a 560 rear end. If you are just starting Farm Stock or whatever they call it locally is probably your best bet to start with.

I gotta check out the rules and see whats what in the classes. theres a few farmalls around and some 706 806 466s with 3lm turbo and rotary pumps that do very well around here. At least very well compared to the competion. Not sure what class a tractor like that would fit into. Farm stock ?? I know them guys have short money into them,granted they all hunted deals down like you said.

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 14, 2011 01:31AM
To start with, anybody that says that a 560 won't hold up to some horse power better take a look at Jerry Sipes tractor. That rear end with a DT-360 or DT-466 would be a very good start. Granted $10K is not a very big number to build anything more than an "also ran" tractor these days. Seriously, I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but you would be better off to find a pulling partner with another $10K and start building from there. Sharing the expences, the driving and all of the work is not a bad way to go. Wayne

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 14, 2011 01:49AM
ok so I guess i need to save more lol. Think a 560 w a 466 will live ??? There are some around here but are new combinations so reliability is unknow.

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 14, 2011 04:33AM
Hmmm, first thing is to decide the wt and type class you want to pull. Second thing make sure you have a hauler to handle such tractor. That being said what is currently pulling in this class and do you want to be just like them or be in the class with them. Keep a close watch on the classifieds on this and other sites and be ready to act when you spot an ad with a tractor that is close to what you want, buy the thing and then refine it to suit your desires. I know that " i want to build my own" but trust me in the long run you will have plenty of time, money and energy keeping it running. Best of luck and remember the most important part of tractor pulling is "HAVE FUN".

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 14, 2011 04:40AM
Personally I would start with a 706 and a 466 and keep on building year by year until you are threatened with divorce, this is usually a stopping point that makes sense for us. Winking

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 14, 2011 04:51AM
What weight may be the biggest factor in what you get. If you want to run under 6000 pounds, the 560 is your best bet. Get to 7000+ and they won't live long with a DT466 that runs strong. A 706 will easily make 7500, and get lighter with some more work, and can be made strong enough to run with virtually anything out there up to 10,000, maybe more. If you are typically hooking 12,000 or more, go ahead and get a 10 or 14 in a 66 or 86 series. Honestly, if you want to run a 466, putting a 706 rear behind it is the way to go, and I could sell you mine for about what it would cost for a 560. Call or text me.

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 14, 2011 02:56PM
Good advice. Heard it said many times that the most economical way to get into tractor pulling is to buy a "used tractor" or one that has already been built. The price is usually less than the sum of its parts. And the best time to buy the tractor is after watching it make a good run down the track. Tractors sold in the off-season may be missing some of the "goodies" it ran with in the previous season.

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 14, 2011 06:00AM
My suggestion is to read the reply from Bullet fan, wayne s and ol George carefully. They are offering very good advice. There is ALOT to consider BEFORE you start buying parts or complete tractors. Take your time, think it through. If a deal seems to good to be true, IT IS! There are alot of people in pulling that will take advantage of you.

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 14, 2011 09:10AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I have been into drag racing cars and more recently drag bikes. I have built some fast bikes and to be honest with young kids and all I should get into something alittle bit slower paced before my luck runs out lol. Tractor pulling has always interested me and Iam a diesel mechanic by trade so I figured lets give it a go. I guess I gotta figure out what class Iam going to run and go from there. Hunt around for something already turn key like someone suggested. I know I can save a good deal that way versus building my own. This is a good site for info,are there any others that are also good to check out ?? Thanks again everyone.

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 14, 2011 02:19PM
Everything here sounds good, and what I've learned is if you find a 666 or 686 with a D 312 in it you can use the front and rear engine plates off of the 312 on either a DT 360 or a DT 466. It is a fairly easy swap as not many custom parts are needed which save on $ and lets you invest back into the engine to get what you want out of it. Leaman Tractor Parts has steel double or triple disc clutch and flywheel set ups at a good price that would be wise to check into also. The 466 will also fit in with out adding to the frame rails but the front crank pulley is close to the bolster however if you remove it and build a custom front axle you will save on weight and have plenty of room for the extra 3" longer the 466 is versus the 312 or 360. Should also be able to get it down to @ 5800 -6000 or lighter depending on how much aluminum you use, hope this may be another option for you, good luck and enjoy the build just as i am!

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 14, 2011 03:15PM
why has nobody mentiond an 1800 oliver can handel 6to12000 pound run a cummins hercules perkins fiat and detroit and can be bought for nothing all kinds of gear packages factory in most places you can change the sheetmetal to white massy cat cockshutt allis and even deutz 354 5.9 8.3 348 360 478 339

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 14, 2011 03:37PM
no dummy
why has nobody mentiond an 1800 oliver can handel 6to12000 pound run a cummins hercules perkins fiat and detroit and can be bought for nothing all kinds of gear packages factory in most places you can change the sheetmetal to white massy cat cockshutt allis and even deutz 354 5.9 8.3 348 360 478 339

funny you mention that cause I was just searching around some forums and have been reading about olivers w cummins swaps. I have been reading up on doing a 6bt swap into a 1650 and seemed pretty extensive to get it to work. Are the 1800s any easier on a cummins swap ?? Or is there a better swap alternative than a cummins ??

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 14, 2011 03:35PM
49md
Everything here sounds good, and what I've learned is if you find a 666 or 686 with a D 312 in it you can use the front and rear engine plates off of the 312 on either a DT 360 or a DT 466. It is a fairly easy swap as not many custom parts are needed which save on $ and lets you invest back into the engine to get what you want out of it. Leaman Tractor Parts has steel double or triple disc clutch and flywheel set ups at a good price that would be wise to check into also. The 466 will also fit in with out adding to the frame rails but the front crank pulley is close to the bolster however if you remove it and build a custom front axle you will save on weight and have plenty of room for the extra 3" longer the 466 is versus the 312 or 360. Should also be able to get it down to @ 5800 -6000 or lighter depending on how much aluminum you use, hope this may be another option for you, good luck and enjoy the build just as i am!

how do the 6 series rear axles hold up ?? they are the same as a 560 right ?? which has a bad rep from what I read.

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 14, 2011 11:20PM
from what i hear they used to build light supers with the 666 - 686 rears. Talked to a good friend of mine before the purchase about what i wanted to do and he tells me not an issue. He is a very knowledgeable and reputable IH man so I'm taking his word, and like i said it is almost a bolt in unlike the 560 where there is alot of custom parts to be fabricated. I'm inside the rear on mine now and let me tell you it looks pretty solid to me as far as the bull gears and bull pinions go, so I'm not worried.

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 16, 2011 11:44AM
PRICED RITE

click the link

[www.pulloff.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2011 11:44AM by hogtown puller.

Re: what tractor to start with ?? -new to pulling August 16, 2011 02:52PM
i would go oliver all the way. they have a lot of options. 310 in a 88 or a cummings in a 1850. pulled agenst all of them. olivers set up right are hard to beat. my opinion

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,731, Posts: 229,864, Members: 3,332.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,984.

Our newest member WestonFarms