intercooler August 17, 2011 12:09PM
how many cfm of air does an intercooler need to flow on a superfarm tractor?

Re: intercooler August 17, 2011 01:28PM
I used the following forumal to come up CFM need. I took cubic inches times peak rpms, divided that number by 1/2 to determine flow for compression stroke. That gave me cubic inches. If I remember correctly there 1728 cubic inches in cubic foot. So I divided cubic inches by 1728 for the answer. example 466 cubic inch motor, 4500 rpm should = 606 cfm.
(466 * 4500 / 2) / 1728 = 606.7 cfm. Hope I remember my math correctly.

Re: intercooler August 18, 2011 02:24AM
I think you need to concntrate more on what a good superfarm turbo compressor will produce for air which is approximately 120 lbs per minute. if you convert that to CFM (lots of things involved here - air temp, pressure, and moisture content) you come out to approximately 1500 -1800 or so CFM. The best idea is to call a intercooler supplier that knows what they are doing.

Re: intercooler August 18, 2011 05:51AM
I agree with talking to a good inter-cooler supplier about the right one.

Re: intercooler August 18, 2011 03:27PM
Look at Frozen Boost and get the 2000HP model. That will be your best bet, make sure to get a good water pump and have plenty of ice. Most guys burn through 40 # of ice each pass.

Re: intercooler August 18, 2011 05:54PM
limited pro
Look at Frozen Boost and get the 2000HP model. That will be your best bet, make sure to get a good water pump and have plenty of ice. Most guys burn through 40 # of ice each pass.

It looks like nice stuff on there site. Good prices too. Have you dealt with them at all ?? Seen any of there stuff ??

Re: intercooler August 18, 2011 11:50PM
horsinaround9
limited pro

It looks like nice stuff on there site. Good prices too. Have you dealt with them at all ?? Seen any of there stuff ??

We've got the 2000hp model (Type 12) on our 640 Pro Farm. Havent got it dialed in yet and with 40lbs of ice in the tank its all melted by the end, might need to try 60 next time.

Its working great. Everybody told us we had to get the precision blah blah. I dont think im gonna spend $2,000-$3,000 on a piece of aluminum. Ill admit they are nice, but until We blow up at least 3 of these Frozen boost units I wont even consider a precision.

$500 gets you the frozen boost unit. It aint as pretty s the precision but it works.

If you are worried about it blowing up weld some reinforcement strps to hold the end takes to the center section better.

Buy two extra 3/4" NPT weld bungs and add them to the opposite end of the intercooler for dual in dual out water.

Then we used two Stainless Steel Aqua-Tiger Pumps (21gpm each) gravity fed from our ice box. As per suggestion we plumbed everything with 1" hose. You dont actually need the 1" hose, but the 3/4"NPT-1" Hose barb fitting has the right ID. Our stuff was from Banjo. Local sprayer supply shop had the pumps, hose and fittings.

We turn one pump on at the line and the other one comes on with the water injection. You might have to play with it though to meet your specs. Were only running a 2.75x3 charger so its pretty easy to light with one pump running.

Here is a link to the frozen boost unit [www.frozenboost.com]

Here is a picture of ours after i got it all plumbed.

Re: intercooler August 19, 2011 04:07AM
To hold 60LBS of ice the ice box would seem to have to be pretty big. How do you find a place to put it along with the cooler.

Re: intercooler August 19, 2011 04:27AM
See my picture in above post. Simply fill it full with ice, then fill it with water.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009