Iowa state fair August 17, 2011 04:04PM
As a fan of tractor pulling i hate to complain but the track conditions were not very good in des moines ! Racetrack hard with couple inches of loose dirt on top does not make a track....Tractor with disc just sat there no bad weather or time issues to deal with and the track packer was still loaded on semi trailer. I almost left early as the track was a joke but for $35 pit pass i stayed and TWD with higher hitch did put on a good show other than that the track conditions really hurt the show which should have been TOP NOTCH for all the good iron that was there! thanks jim

Re: Iowa state fair August 17, 2011 04:17PM
Yes,this is a common theme at these state fair race tracks.The good news is most of the same iron plus a little more will venture over to Wisner,NE this weekend for 3 sessions on a great track.Will be there.How many hooks did they have at State Fair?

Re: Iowa state fair August 17, 2011 05:45PM
That has became the same ole story year after year,and that is why we kept our money in our pockets and decited not to attend the Iowa state fair pull for the last two years,parking is an expense,getting into the fair another big expense,than paying a huge price to get into the pits another big expence,it doesn't take long to spend several dollars just to see a so so show.Not the quality of show they used to have their.As we have all heard we don't want you their anyway,so be it.

Re: Iowa state fair August 18, 2011 02:18AM
My guess is next year the track will be worked ahead of time,and an a power track will be built.

Re: Iowa state fair August 18, 2011 02:32AM
All race tracks are hard to work with. They will never be a power track. In years past they have worked the track and added water, and they track changed so fast in the 1st 2 classes it was a numbers game & by the third class it was hard. The sled just pulled it up in chunks and pretty soon it was junk. With all the rain the day before it was decided to leave it alone and try it that way. It wasnt a power track but it stayed even for each class and in most classes the top 5 came from both ends of the draw and with about 15 to 20 in the classes that is pretty fair pulling. The sleds did a excelent job with all classes between 300 to 333 feet. They had over 150 different hooks and they hooked them fast. It was one of the best Iowa State Fair pulls in recent years.

Re: Iowa state fair August 18, 2011 04:24AM
Yeah, it can be a good track, but was way dry this year. By the time the show was over, most gravel roads had more moisture in them!

Re: Iowa state fair August 18, 2011 12:41PM
I have gone to a lot of Iowa state fair pulls. This one was good for the most part. Good tractors and very well run show. Good time frame, have never been out of a Iowa state fair pull before 9:00 in my life. But the track was on the POOR side. A lot of tractors with a lot of power, but the puller fans never got to see the power. Next year, tear the track up put some water in it and build a power track, So we get to see the power and not just wheels smoking.

Re: Iowa state fair August 19, 2011 01:16AM
Been going to the ISF for over 20 years and have NEVER seen it a power track yet.
EVER.
It is just the way it is.

Re: Iowa state fair August 19, 2011 01:52AM
It was closer to a power track 20 years ago when they used to haul dirt in for the Grand nationals but the days of haulin in dirt are gone. Its a race track that dirt is dead been packed and ran over so many times no texture left to it.

Re: Iowa state fair August 19, 2011 03:09AM
I thought it was a great pull. It ran very fast and smooth, Alot of tractors n trucks for 5 hours of pulling. BEST pull of the day goes to Dominator Deere, Mike had an amazing run like he usually does. Very impressive, carried the front end perfectly and blew every1 away. I could have watched that run 20 times in a row. i hope it shows up on youtube or somewhere.

Re: Iowa state fair August 19, 2011 03:12AM
I have been watching the Iowa state fair pull on and off since the late 70's and I don't ever remember a good clay power track, sometimes they had a track that would pull the engine down but that was when they run 3in. bar tires and plowed up 2 yards off dirt in front of the sled. The only fix for that place is tear out that 50 by 50 concrete platform that never gets used and haul some clay in there and leave it.

Re: Iowa state fair August 19, 2011 04:01AM
That concrete platform has air conditioned rest rooms and all sorts of electrical power stuff in it. Would be a big project to move it, but that would be very cool if it got done!
I wish we could have seen Crazy Train pull, he is usually pretty close to the same style as the winning tractor! Front tires up and balls to the wall!
It was a good show for the track it was on.
Well run too!
Good job tech crew !!!!!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009