Tips for setting up my Oliver Conversion to pull.. August 19, 2011 02:26AM
Hey guys,

I've got an 1850 Oliver with a Cummins Conversion. 93 Dodge motor, baby H1c (54mm charger I believe), Cummins factory Air/Water aftercooler, and some pump tweaks. Prolly in the 200-230hp range I'm guessing.

I scaled it and ran exhibition at the pull I was running here on the 14th. She scaled at 12,200#. It's got 20.8-38 tires, filled above the rim.. According to the charts I've found online, I should then have about 3000# of weight I can drop. That'd get me down to the 9500# class. I'd like to pull it here in september at the brush pull in the 9500# farm class.. Tractor has working hydros, pto, etc. It's not a puller as per say, it's my errand tractor here on my hobby farm. (Plow snow, haul manure, carry wood, etc) Just lookin to have a little fun. When we ran it as an exhibition, dad ran er in 5th gear (6speed trans) using the hydra power to get it the last 30 feet or so.. Seemed to be running out of both power and traction.. I was no where near being a contender with the guys that had run in 11,500..

I'm thinking by dropping the weight, I'll probably have a major loss of traction out back.. Is it worth my time to even mess with it, or am I better off to not bother and just enjoy watching the pull? Smiling I know I can shave about 150 lbs by yanking the 3point arms, prolly 100 lbs by not running the fuel tank clear full, and 80lbs by dropping off the front weight bracket.. If I could hit 8500, I think it'd do fine.. But 9500, prolly not??? Or would the loss of traction not be so bad because of the ability to run 6th with more wheel speed?

-Matt Jorgensen

Re: Tips for setting up my Oliver Conversion to pull.. August 19, 2011 12:23PM
If it still has the cast centers on the rear wheels, switch to presed steel. Replace the cast iron grille with one made of wood, aluminum or fiberglass. You could drop a lot of weight there.

Re: Tips for setting up my Oliver Conversion to pull.. August 19, 2011 12:37PM
Very true on both counts. This tractor however is still 1st of all a farm tractor, so don't want to do that.. But, I'd like in the next year or two to build an 1800 Series A (checkerboard graphics) puller, and that will be all-out weight savings and power..

Just lookin to see if you all thought this thing would pull worth a darn, or wether it'd be a waste of time.. At the end of the day, I don't wanna be last place, but i'm just doin' this for fun.. Smiling

Re: Tips for setting up my Oliver Conversion to pull.. August 19, 2011 03:05PM
sounds like you answered your own question, if you want a farm tractor you have one, and if you want to have a pulling tractor and want to win/do good you need to build one. so dont dump money into a tractor that you know will never be an awsome puller because its still the farm work horse and put that money into a tractor that will be your puller and have fun workin and playin with that tractor.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,675, Posts: 229,776, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,949.

Our newest member Jason