Pulloff's Ideal August 21, 2011 03:30PM
Read the following on another site and like that ideal... here is what was wrote, btw i have never seen in mentioned before during any discussions regarding the topics of pulloffs.. here what was wrote, lets hear it.

" Posted on August 21, 2011

I think it would be better, if people insist on a pulloff, that maybe they should do like every dirt racing organization in america. Save the pulloff for the end of the night. Like a feature race. It would be easier on vehicles even though it would still be an extra run it wolud be easier on engines since they have had time to cool "

Re: Pulloff's Ideal August 22, 2011 05:07AM
On paper it makes some sense, but the problem is if you have 3-4 classes, that's 3-4 more sled re-weights and adjustments, etc. Plus the folks in the first class can't leave because they have to wait until 11-12 at night to have pull-off.

Re: Pulloff's Ideal August 23, 2011 07:36AM
Can see your point on sled weight, the assoc. can pay member not in pull off so they leave or hold all checks till next event or mail them out, put im sure some people wont like that idea.. But think of it your job, your employer dont pay after each day some wait a week, two weeks, and some even on pay every 15 day...

Re: Pulloff's Ideal; Only for Safety! August 23, 2011 10:17AM
I think floating finshes all the time & pulloffs all the time is a bad idea. Some tracks are not long enough or setup to allow floating finsh. I think always having a pulloff is very bad for the pullers. They need to have time to cool down, pull the filters to inspect, and to check there data logers.

I follow ESP and I have seen "Its only money" and "final desion" come back in the pull so hot they both went under 15 feet and that decided the 1st & 2nd place.

I think the officials in the hand book before the season begings should decide on a distance they feel is safe enough to stop a puller before the wall. Lets say 50 feet. So for this example, every track they hook at they would measure from the starting line to the (wall, guard rail, what ever is at the very end of track) take that number, lets say it was 360 feet. They would then set pulloff at 310 (360 total distance-50 safe stop needed= 310 feet automatic pulloff for every class. Then shoot to not have any in pulloff, but for safty reasons if you have to then have them run at the end of the show. Another example some tracks have lots of distance maybe 430 feet you still would subtract safety limit 50 feet setting full pull at 380 feet. But in this example everyone could still finsh up around 310 just if someone really gets her moving they can out pull everyone to win.

So pulloffs would only be a safty issue, not to keep the crowd. Some tracks like Pike NY are just to short and need the pulloff for safty. I could not tell you how many times I have seen a Puller out pull others getting into the pulloff but for various reasons they don't come back or they do and don't do very well. That just is not right, specially if the track is setup to allow the distance. On the other hand who wants to see a puller with all there time, money, and hard work have to slam there puller into the wall or risk it just to get that couple inches.

Set pulloff for safety, not for "A Good Show". If you have to have to, Bring them back at the end.

Just my 2 cents, well maybe 2 1/2 cents.

Thanks
Justin

Re: Pulloff's Ideal August 23, 2011 09:50AM
If you run pull offs all year, you will not have much running at the end of the year. There is no need to have pulloffs. Float the finish, keep the motors running, and allow the next venue to have a good turnout of iron. Besides, pulling off for a few hundred bucks does not go very far on a repair bill. If you don't believe me, ask a few of the pullers.

Re: Pulloff's Ideal August 23, 2011 11:16AM
Need to follow rule book !!!! Have seen pullers going beyond 320' (used to be 300' FP) which imo is crazy as most of the equipment is not meant to run that far,have seen winning distances 330-350' thats not fair to pullers who end up making a job out of the sport that most are not making money at!

Re: Pulloff's Ideal August 23, 2011 01:01PM
Looks like the sled should have been reset. Possible there are some tractors in the class that are that far out in front, should they be penilized for running well.

Re: Pulloff's Ideal August 23, 2011 01:09PM
gamehoggr1
Need to follow rule book !!!! Have seen pullers going beyond 320' (used to be 300' FP) which imo is crazy as most of the equipment is not meant to run that far,have seen winning distances 330-350' thats not fair to pullers who end up making a job out of the sport that most are not making money at!

In your expert opinion whats easier on the engine 330' or 600' ?Confused

It's the pullers choice to Pulloff August 23, 2011 01:52PM
Pulloff’s are part of the sport and always have been. Every single puller out there either bought or built their vehicle knowing that pulloff’s would and could happen. The better they make their truck or tractor run, the more likely they are to run a second time.

Are pulloff’s hard on equipment… yes. Thankfully it’s the pullers choice to participate in a pulloff. They can skip the pulloff, they can split the money, or they can come back, it’s 100% their choice.

I’ve seen events where a track changes, lets take this example (which all of us have seen) the first tractor in the class goes 320’, the last tractor goes 315’. The track has gone away all night and the last tractor made a monster pass. In a floating finish the first tractor wins, in a pulloff, it’s still anybody’s win. Infact it happened to Larry Philips in BG on Sunday afternoon.

Are pulloffs perfect? No, but I still think they are the best option we have. Floating finish would be great if all pulls were held on blacktop or concrete in temperature and humidity control buildings but until that happens I still think the pulloff is the best option out there. If pullers fear for their equipment or if they set there vehicles on kill then they need to make wish choices about where to pulloff or not. It’s their choice and if they choose to not run then they should be happy with second or third or whatever.

As for pulloffs at the end of the night, I’ve seen it done at events, and I seen pullers pulling infront of empty grandstands after being annoyed at the long wait for the sled changes.

The current system isn't perfect, but I think it's still the best option.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: It's the pullers choice to Pulloff August 23, 2011 02:35PM
Speed baby it's now all about the speed! Besides everyone knows the guy that goes the farthest the first time hardly ever wins the second time (pulloff Sad) even you know that Jake!Grinning

Re: It's the pullers choice to Pulloff August 23, 2011 03:10PM
What's interesting now is the people that wanted to pull and pull and pull and eventually bring out a long chain to determine a winner 25yrs ago, now don't want to pull in the pull-off!

Set the sled for 300' and stop them. This is a sport where men are seperated from the boys. If a single engine mod pulls with the unlimiteds and only goes 215', then tough, don't belly ache because you wanted to go 300'.

Besides, if the engine got hot on the first run...then there's a good chance the metal lost some temper so the next pull(even if it's weeks away) could still crap out.

Re: Pulloff's Ideal August 24, 2011 01:02AM
IMO two runs at 300' as engine is made to run that distance if your set up is good (not on the edge of melting down)as the 320-330' runs some engines have pumped all the oil up to the top of the motor and have heard guys say "my oil light came on or computer showed no oil pressure at end of run",and sorry to dissapoint you as I said before its my opinion never said I was an expert.

Re: Pulloff's Ideal August 24, 2011 02:36AM
Your motor has no idea how far you went. Time is the factor here.

300' in 15 sec is no different than a 330' run in 15 sec.

Usually a nice fast pass is easier on parts as the motor was free and didnt lug like a long 290 pull, scrapping for every inch. I would rather go 330 every night than make 2 300' passes in one session.

Re: Pulloff's Ideal August 24, 2011 07:02AM
gamehoggr1
IMO two runs at 300' as engine is made to run that distance if your set up is good (not on the edge of melting down)as the 320-330' runs some engines have pumped all the oil up to the top of the motor and have heard guys say "my oil light came on or computer showed no oil pressure at end of run",and sorry to dissapoint you as I said before its my opinion never said I was an expert.

Everybody is an expert on here come on hogger! lol......but seriously what your not taking into account is the run time is actually less on most 320' passes vs 300' passes. I know some experts will dispute that but it's true. Now where the durability issue comes into the equation is that engine was optimum on the first pass temperature wise, it will never be on a second pass. You can't "detune" a engine enough to compensate for the heat destruction that will occur in the second pass. This opinion is based on a turbocharged diesel setup. Hot = enemy always has been always will be.

Re: Pulloff's Ideal August 24, 2011 11:02AM
seconds matter....
gamehoggr1

Everybody is an expert on here come on hogger! lol......but seriously what your not taking into account is the run time is actually less on most 320' passes vs 300' passes. I know some experts will dispute that but it's true. Now where the durability issue comes into the equation is that engine was optimum on the first pass temperature wise, it will never be on a second pass. You can't "detune" a engine enough to compensate for the heat destruction that will occur in the second pass. This opinion is based on a turbocharged diesel setup. Hot = enemy always has been always will be.
that may be true for diesel motor but not for a mod or twd and time time it takes to run 330' may not be quicker than running 300' unless vehicle hooked all the way down the track, have seen it take longer to go 280' than 320' on certain tracks,again its all in track condition,and sled lots of variables,and never have said I was an expert as Im sure many of you that have added to this thread Im sure are lol Im just adding my opinion,and I might as well add this for more slamming but if the fp mark is 300' and some guys make it out the they dont have to come back if they are worried

Re: Pulloff's Ideal August 23, 2011 02:29PM
benn there
If you run pull offs all year, you will not have much running at the end of the year. There is no need to have pulloffs. Float the finish, keep the motors running, and allow the next venue to have a good turnout of iron. Besides, pulling off for a few hundred bucks does not go very far on a repair bill. If you don't believe me, ask a few of the pullers.

I'm a state level puller on a budget..I only run with associations that have floating finishes..Sorry,but at over $400 per run I cant afford to run twice at an event..I'm broke right now waiting on parts..

Re: Pulloff's Ideal August 23, 2011 03:57PM
Pulloffs are rediculous! You get maybe 100 more dollars than second place. To win maybe 1000 if your lucky. Hmmm.one sleeve one piston 1100.

Re: Pulloff's Ideal August 24, 2011 11:55AM
I thing like with anything a pulloff can be either a good thing or a bad thing. It all depends on the track and venue. I had never seen the Outlaw bracket pulling in there superfarm class and i really think that isn't to bad of an idea for a class with more than 15 vehicles and it is pretty fair for everyone

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009