Wouldn't it be awesome @ Bowling Green if..... August 21, 2011 03:33PM
One of these years, maybe to kick off the Saturday night session, they could have 8-10 vintage mods in a 9000 (or 12000) mod class?
To make it work, they may need to drape some tarps over the NTPA banners and have non-NTPA personnel handle the flagging duties (due to insurance and rules issues).

This year, they had Lloyd McVey's Super Banana, one of the Allison Team tractors, the City Slicker, and the restored Bosse Bros tractor on display. I have seen a tractor on display there before from a guy who was the OSTPA 12 open champ in mid 70's that I believe ran a radial (was his name Horman or something like that)? That's 5 right there.

If we could find another 3-5 vintage heavy mods and get them all in running condition, that would be a whale of a way to kick off the Saturday night session. Also, it would give a lot of newer and/or younger fans a chance to see where the sport came from. Off the top of my head, here are some vintage mods (mid 1970s) that would be neat to see, if they are still around sitting in a barn somewhere:

Ralph Chamberlain's Honker; EJ Potter's Double Ugly; One of the Keck/Hoffman Tank mods from the '70s; Dave Haley's Foxy Lady (I believe the Ferry's from Massachusetts bought it in the late 70s. Don't know where it is now). Maybe an old twin or triple piston mod (an old 2-3 motor Banter mod, if Dave and Ralph have one in a shed somewhere). There was an allison from Ohio that ran tough for a few years called the Diggin' Dozen. Also, a guy named Bill Myers had a packard mod. What about the original Judge or Jury? Do Barga's still have those?

Ideally, everything should be from relatively the same era. If we started getting mods from later eras, while that would be neat to see, it would mess up the sled settings (for example, while I would love to see Steve Jaske's Miller High Life mod again, I wouldn't want to see it pull against a mid '70s mod, at least not at the same sled setting).

Re: Wouldn't it be awesome @ Bowling Green if..... August 23, 2011 01:11AM
i wonder how many old mods are still around. seems like there must be more sitting in barns or hedgerows. i like the idea.

Re: Wouldn't it be awesome @ Bowling Green if..... August 23, 2011 04:02AM
I went to The Rusty Tailgate session at BG Saturday morning. They talked about getting some of the tractors running and having a vintage pull somewhere in the near future. I cant remember the name of the town where they were thinking of trying it.
Bob Boyd

Re: Wouldn't it be awesome @ Bowling Green if..... July 28, 2012 05:59AM
Not much of The Honker is left. It was sold off and what was left was scrapped years ago. I have the Fuel tank from it, I think that is one of the last surviving parts still around.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,721, Posts: 229,844, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,971.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro