Pulling and farming August 23, 2011 12:39PM
Just wondering how many of you pullers use the same tractor to farm and pull with? I realize that alot of are unuseable to farm with anymore because of alterations. But to the people that do. What tractor is it and what do you all change from farm to on the track?

Re: Pulling and farming August 23, 2011 01:22PM
I pull an oliver 880 and i use to farm. WHen i first started pulling that tractor i was in 7000 and 9000. The next year i changed tires and rims and i was able to pull 5500 and 7000. THen the next year i put on a narrow front end and i was able to drop down to 4500. at one pull i turned up the fuel pump a little. I did good pulling but when i drove the tractor home it died so i turned the pump back down and left it. but thats the only changes i have made since i started pulling. Now i take it straight off of the feild and equpiment and head to the pulls.

Re: Pulling and farming August 23, 2011 11:16PM
I pull and plow with a JD 4320. I change the front tires and weights to plow with it. When i had the pump rebuilt I had them leave it adjustable so I could still plow with it and not melt it down. If you dont believe me I have video of me doing both on youtube under my screenname- rt52town

Re: Pulling and farming August 25, 2011 01:05PM
But....there is where you guys contradict yourselves. Out of the field means how you use it in the field. Unhook and bring it in, not changing tires, wheels, turning fuel screws. I know...where do you draw the line. It's "competition", and over 90% of us are guys, and we don't like to lose, lol, so this will go on forever.

Beware August 23, 2011 05:56PM
Don't let people fool you. Pullers will say there stock I call B.S it dosent take a expert to see a tractor ain't stock. See it everytime sumbody will pull in with a lopeing 1066 that everybody seen the night before win 1st place in HOT FARM. Then they will pull the next night in farm stock and take first. All I can say is congrats you jackass you just beat a bunch of grease, manure and beat up actual farm stock tractors. My two cents worth.

Re: Beware August 23, 2011 11:32PM
1466 ih
1256 ih
1370 case
and 1070 case

all driven to the pulls

[www.youtube.com]
My name = Kyle Kerr

Re: Beware August 24, 2011 02:04AM
milner82
Don't let people fool you. Pullers will say there stock I call B.S it dosent take a expert to see a tractor ain't stock. See it everytime sumbody will pull in with a lopeing 1066 that everybody seen the night before win 1st place in HOT FARM. Then they will pull the next night in farm stock and take first. All I can say is congrats you jackass you just beat a bunch of grease, manure and beat up actual farm stock tractors. My two cents worth.

I agree! all you can do with those hot farm tractors in farm classes is try to kick them out of the class. Then sometimes if they get kicked out they wont come back to that pull. and you would think they would want to pull in hot for the cash cuz farm stock most of the time gets only a trophy.

Re: Beware August 24, 2011 02:06AM
a speed limit keeps the farm stock classes fairly even

Re: Beware August 24, 2011 05:17AM
A PTO dyno keeps them even closer.

Re: Beware August 24, 2011 05:44AM
I like the idea of a dyno for pure stock classes, but it's way too easy to cheat to be effective. A solenoid activated throttle stop that prevents WOT while on the dyno but not while on the track, or simply loosening up the PTO clutches or decreasing hydraulic pressure to the PTO so it won't hold any power are two ways I've seen this done. I'm sure there are more. As much as I hate speed limit classes, a speed limit, combined with monitoring rpm DURING the pull, are the only ways I can see to consistently even the playing field.

Re: Beware August 24, 2011 06:30AM
Speed limit classes may evern the field but my opinion is that they arent fun to watch or listen to the sled blowing the horn half way down the track. Farm stock is easy- working pto, working 3pt if available, limit rpm, cast centers if needed limit turbo. my 2 cents

Re: Beware August 24, 2011 06:43AM
timing gun/light. any tractor coming off the scale pulling farm stock gets checked to be 1% within factory spec timing then you know whos stock and whos not its the only way your ever going to put this hotfarm and stock to BED.

Re: Beware August 24, 2011 07:08AM
unless there is a speed limit, rpms on red one is 2850, a green or orange one is ~2400,

Re: Beware August 24, 2011 07:22AM
pump timing any??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Re: Beware August 25, 2011 02:10AM
Tell me what 1066 came from the factory at 2850 rpms? What Jd came at 2400? I plowed many hours with a JD 404 466 619 and non of them ran 2200 stock. All the horns you want before 150 ft. one past 150 and you are done only way to go.

Re: Beware August 25, 2011 07:47AM
IH 1066'S ARE AROUND 2630 RPM DONT KNOW EXACT NUMBER

Re: Beware August 25, 2011 04:25PM
paint a black stripe on the side, they get 2850 .....highest rated rpm at nebraska test lab

Re: Beware August 25, 2011 01:14AM
Speed limit classes aren't the most fun to watch, but it really is the only way to completely level the playing field. You can limit through rules all you want, and money will always find a way around them.

Re: Beware August 25, 2011 06:42AM
The best way to level the playing field is as mentioned above, with speed limits, but add tire restrictions, say 18.4 or 20.8x38 max for 9500.

Re: Beware August 25, 2011 08:54AM
I totally agree that the best way to keep out of the field fair is to have a speed limit. I have been beat by tractors going down the track in road gear at pulls without a speed limit, but Iwould beat them at a speed limit pull. I have experienced and seen this time and time again. A speed limit takes away the advantage the high horsepower tractors have.

Re: Beware August 25, 2011 01:46PM
Ive read all the post to this thread and gave it some thought and Ive come up with a way to level the playing field for everybody participating in a tractor pull class and that is, have one tractor that fits the rules and let each guy who pays a hook fee have a run with the sled on this one rule abiding tractor. Just make up the weight difference between the drivers with suitcase weights and maybe then the class may be a little more fair. But heck someone would complain that Billy leaned back in the seat to far giving him an advantage or that Johnny let the clutch out harder than Tom did coming out of the hole. I guess what Im trying to say is there is no such thing as a "fair'' competition. You cant always have the upper hand in the fight and if you did, your cheating. I believe in rules and sticking to them but its impossible to cater to every ones tractor when writing up a set.

Re: Beware August 25, 2011 01:52PM
I agree, it would save a lot of fuel too and then and the crybabies couldn't say the tractor was illegal. But you know people would be adding change and rocks to their pockets before they got on the tractors, dirty bastards.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009