National Anthem at BG August 23, 2011 12:42PM
I made my first trip to Bowling Green this year. I enjoyed the trip, even though it is a 9 hour drive (10 hours with the road construction on I-70 in Illinois and Indiana). Long story short, I will continue going to Bowling Green. The only thing that bothered me was when I seen people that did not remove their hats when our National Anthem was sung. And what a great job the lady did. I have attended the Dairyland Super National Pull in Tomah for the past several years and when our National Anthem is sung you don't see any hats on.

Re: National Anthem at BG August 23, 2011 12:51PM
That fine singing lady is only 16!

Re: National Anthem at BG August 23, 2011 12:53PM
Sounds like she could make a career of singing.

Re: National Anthem at BG August 23, 2011 12:59PM
She does and lives in the area. You have to be young to hit those 'High Notes'! lol

Re: National Anthem at BG August 23, 2011 02:03PM
That girl sure can sing! Actually I think there were two girls, and they both could sing.

As for the hats, I saw plenty during the anthem as well. I’m working at the event (we were the official photographers again this year), and I’m supposed to get pictures during the anthem/ceremony/invocation/etc… and honestly I feel very weird walking around and taking pictures when I feel like I should be standing reverently. I know I have a job to do, and I take that very seriously, but I don’t want to feel like I’m dishonoring our country. Apparently there are plenty of people out there that just don’t seem to care anymore.

I don't recall if the announcers made an announcement, but maybe they need to gently remind people to remove their caps.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: National Anthem at BG August 23, 2011 03:32PM
Hey you think thats bad you should be from Canada and watch what happens. They did tell us to remove our caps but your right many didn't and it would have been really nice if the guy in the infield would have shut off his engine. Not really whiniing but have noticed that they always sing yours first and ours second. We're the visiting team and your the home, it might help them keep their caps off and stand at attention. Still great pull and had alot of fun.

Re: National Anthem at BG August 24, 2011 03:53AM
I don't understand what you're saying, tractor pulling is not a team sport nor is it affiliated with any one country during any single pulling event. Do promoters from Canada play the U.S National Anthem prior to Oh Canada when you start a pull in Quebec or Montreal? Maybe we should start all pulls with the Afghan national anthem??? They need some help don't they?
Bonino

Re: National Anthem at BG August 24, 2011 04:05AM
Sorry... got a little off topic. The way I see it, many fans feel like they shouldn't remove their head gear for some reason, happens more and more often these days, but it's America. Freedom allows us to make that choice. Freedom was bought and sold on the backs of Americans who make choices and stand for what they believe in, this is just one of those choices.
Bonino

Re: National Anthem at BG August 24, 2011 09:41AM
Was at the ENDERLE pulloffs last september in Urbana Ohio. I very impressed to not only here the American nathional anthem played before the event started but the Dutch anthem also in respect to the LAMBADA team who represented Holland. Being of dutch heritage i was impressed and there was not a hat on or a sound made during both anthems. I stood proud for both of them. I guess B.G. is different. Unlimited tractors and unlimited alcohol. Get the anthem over so i can drink or im or i mite spill my drink if i stand up. Just my my take. P.S Im from Canada Lookin forward to the Enderle pull again.

Re: National Anthem at BG August 24, 2011 04:14AM
First off, thanks to you Rob and Krista for the sacrifice and service you and all armed forces provide every day so the rest of us sleep well. I don't think its a matter of which is first be it the "home or away" team, just that it's done and completed with reverence by all on hand. Furthermore, I think we could learn a little about pride and patriotism from our friends to the north, if only every event where the Anthem is sung could there be a fiercer brand of love for country displayed. Im not Canadian of course, but imagining the Star-Spangled Banner belted out in the same way gives me chills...

Here's what I'm talking about....
Oh Canada

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: National Anthem at BG August 24, 2011 04:44AM
Shouldn't have to be reminded to remove hats. Our changed society just doesn't seem to understand respect anymore. As for the singer, you should have heard the woman At greenville last evening. She was spectacular. JW

Re: National Anthem at BG August 24, 2011 08:43AM
Speaking of the National Anthem; it reminds me of the time some IDIOT hired roseanne barr to sing it at the world series (or whatever). It does my heart GOOD to know that, by her doing that assassination of the anthem, it completely destroyed her career. She thought she was REALLY funny till the walls of Jerhico came tumbling down around her. They should have strung her up a flagpole, by an ankle, and used her for a pigeon rooste also. IMHO, the IDIOT that hired her should be tarred and feathered and sent off to Afghanistan for target practice for the troops. Anyone else as ticked off as I am about what she done.??? If she happens to be on ANY program on T.V., I will IMMEDIATELY hollar profanities at her and click to another channel. She's as bad or worse than jane hanoi fonda or traitor kerry IMHO.

Re: National Anthem at BG August 24, 2011 01:05PM
As an active Duty member, I take notice to the anthem at a number of pulls. I've noticed more and more folks not stopping to stand while the anthem plays or even more annoying, not removing their hats. Really? How hard is it to stop and take off your hat for roughly a minute?

It's really not a matter of doing it for those who serve currently, but more importantly what our country's Flag stands for and the ones who came before and fought for what we have today.

I hear this "Well, this freedom I have becasue of that flag allows me to make to make a choice on whether or not I want to remove my hat or stand quietly and respectfully." That's a load of crap. We have this jacked up mentality about the things that used to be a standard/tradition across our country, and we use the excuse it's because of our freedoms that allow me to think and do as I please.

So, if you're reading this and your one of the ones who don't take your hat off or stop and respect the flag during anthem, do me a favor. The next time you're at an event, and the anthem plays, just take a moment and take a close look around. I bet you'll see the ones that served many years ago and you'll see the families of those who served. Believe me, you'll know who they are. Hopefully, that alone will make you want to stop and give that short moment of respect.

Still got some great pulling left in the season! Good luck to everyone the rest of the year!

Re: National Anthem at BG August 24, 2011 01:17PM
Very well put. The sad thing is the individuals that talk about their freedom to do as they please, are the same ones that expect someone else to protect or provide their freedom for them.

Re: National Anthem at BG August 24, 2011 01:59PM
I agree 100%. That was the most disrespectful thing I have heard and seen a person of popularity do.

Re: National Anthem at BG August 24, 2011 11:35PM
I also agree, it doesn't take long for the nat. anthem, take your hat off and respect the people who fought/ and fight for what we have here, it's only common courtesy, which sadly is lacking in this country.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009