cooling down a tractor August 23, 2011 02:25PM
I have been having trouble keeping my tractor cool for the second pull. The first hook seems to be fine, but the second there is to much heat and it turns into a dog. Is there any way to help this?

Re: cooling down a tractor August 23, 2011 02:43PM
Not a mind reader. stock- super stock- gas- diesel- alc- water in block-dry block- time between hooks-weight class? MACK

Re: cooling down a tractor August 23, 2011 06:55PM
I run a dry head and run water through the block only. If I Need to cool it down fast for a pulloff situation I leave on the electric fan and electric water pump and use a pump up weed sprayer with cool water and spray it through the radiator for a couple minutes. This helps to dissapate the heat from the radiator and cools it down rather quick.

Re: cooling down a tractor August 24, 2011 01:49AM
Don't know how well it works, but I once saw a mini rod puller that had a small shop vac hooked to the valve cover breather pulling cool air through the engine.

Re: cooling down a tractor August 24, 2011 02:24AM
Sorry, for leaving out details. This is a hot farm tractor, pulls 8500 and 9500. Water in the head and block like stock, have a water pump, not electric, but do have an electric fan. The water temp doesn't seem to get to high just is to warm to run in the next class.

Re: cooling down a tractor August 24, 2011 03:20PM
Add a electric water pump along with your electric fan will cool one down pretty quick. MACK

Re: cooling down a tractor August 24, 2011 04:42AM
If you do not have an intercooler, inject a small amount of water as you drive off the track and/or back for the pull off. This injection system would be separate from your regular water injection system. A small electric pump located and primed under the water injection tank. This would be activated with a toggle switch when needed. When the engine is not running make SURE this electric pump is turned off to prevent hydraulic lock from water in the engine cylinders. A light on the dash would help to identify this system is active. One injection line connected to your crossover pipe or more if needed to balance engine cool down. A computer system could be used to monitor this as you drive off and back onto the track.

Re: cooling down a tractor August 24, 2011 05:22AM
PS – A pressure activated switch mounted to the throttle would work better than a toggle switch.

Re: cooling down a tractor August 24, 2011 05:35AM
If you have water in the head and block, the addition of an electric water pump, run in conjunction with the electric fan between pulls, should be a noticeable improvement.

Re: cooling down a tractor August 24, 2011 01:36PM
Add the electric water pump and use a gas powered leaf blower after the run.

Re: cooling down a tractor August 24, 2011 02:17PM
i have a similar question but a little different. i am running a motor that i believe has a cracked block and dont want to fix it now. so i am running no water at all anywhere and wondering the best way to try and keep my tractor cool. i have pulled it like this a couple times and it gets hot at the end and i get a tow off everytime.
thanks

Re: cooling down a tractor August 24, 2011 11:47PM
Carry a fresh pail of fuel and drain out the hot fuel and make your second run on cold fuel.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009