Tips on Filling a Cylinder Head August 24, 2011 04:43AM
This is my first time filling a cylinderhead. I have bought a cpl bags of Embecco 885 and was wondering on the best way to do it. I am thinking of making a plate across the face of the head and pouring it in the thermostat hole. Should I warm up the head first or is there a trick to agitating it?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Tips on Filling a Cylinder Head August 24, 2011 01:14PM
I made a plate to cover the thermostat hole and filled the head from the bottom side. That is how it was suggested to me by a friend that did one for his IH.

Hope that helps.

Re: Tips on Filling a Cylinder Head August 24, 2011 02:50PM
Might want to consider laying head flat like on the block, then take out freeze plugs on the top between head bolt holes and filling that way with a plate over all but a little gap on the thermostat hole so it will fill all the way.

Re: Tips on Filling a Cylinder Head August 24, 2011 03:52PM
I read some instructions for the Moroso jacket filler once, I believe they recommended using an air hammer with a blunt chisel to vibrate the casting to let the air bubbles work their way out. Never tried it though.

Re: Tips on Filling a Cylinder Head August 24, 2011 04:27PM
I have done a couple cylinder heads. Plate the deck surface. Leave the freeze plugs in the head. If using thermostat hole angle cylinder head at a 45 degree angle and make sure mixture is not to dry. Being a little soupy if better, but not too much. Pour smaller increments into head and tap cylinder head with a deadblow. Repeat process until cylinder head is full. I do not recommend heating head. Make sure water jackets are clean and free of oil. I have found this process to work very well

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,738, Posts: 229,877, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,989.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM