NTPA Historical Question August 24, 2011 08:47AM
Back before the grand national circuit began (1977), how were national points earned? Was it just Class A or B pulls or all events. Thanks for any info.

Re: No help, but... August 24, 2011 10:52AM
Dan, do you still run the archive site? I misplaced the link for it long ago and have been wracking my brain to try and find it again. Thanks.

Re: No help, but... August 24, 2011 12:35PM
Yeah, it will be getting a major overhaul this fall. Lots more info coming.

www.pulling-reference.com

Re: NTPA Historical Question August 24, 2011 03:58PM
I was just a kid back then, but still have the Puller Magazines going back to 1975 (saved 'em).

Prior to 1977, there was no regional system set up. Pulls were simply Class A, B, or C, I believe based on purse level.
I do not know if a Class A pull gave more points than a Class B pull. If a puller wanted to compete for a national title, he had to go pulling down south in February and March, for there was a Southern Circuit then. The sites varied, but I remember reading articles in the Puller about events in Tifton, GA, Ocala, Lake City, and Eustis, FL. They even ran some events at the Tampa Bay Bucs stadium and Atlanta Motor Speedway.

I believe in the early 70s, NTPA was divided somehow into districts. I have an old Indy Super Pull program from '74 or '75, and if I remember correctly, the took the top 10 in National points, and the other 10 were from districts around the country (in the early days, each class at the Indy Super Pull had 20 pullers).

I'm sure there are guys who actually pulled then that can clarify or correct any misinformation.

Re: NTPA Historical Question August 25, 2011 08:01AM
"I was just a kid back then, but still have the Puller Magazines going back to 1975 (saved 'em)."

My Dad had all the old Puller magazines from back then in the early days also. I remember cutting the pictures out of lots of those magazines and taping them to the wall in my bedroom. I didnt realize I would regret it later on. Sadly the pictures and the magazines all got thrown away. It almost makes me sick now. I would love to look back through those magazines again.

Re: NTPA Historical Question August 25, 2011 10:31PM
Bobhardt:

Here's your solution:

NTPA Full Pull Club

Jon

Re: NTPA Historical Question August 26, 2011 08:37AM
Hey thanks Pulltracker. I might try that. I still wish I had the originals!
Bob Boyd

NTPA Historical Question - to Dan M August 29, 2011 12:33PM
Dan, even though I've been around NTPA pulling quickly approaching 40 years, I honestly don't know the answer to your question. I think they were all blended together into one championship circuit. I know it was a HUGE circuit back then.
However, ask Dave Grimm, especially if you go up to Essex Junction, on Labor Day. He may know the answer as that was about the time, as I recall, he became NTPA executive director.
You're not far from John Shaul who can probably provide the answer, too.
Thanks for all the great historical work you do for the sport of pulling!

Re: NTPA Historical Question - to Dan M August 29, 2011 01:06PM
Until they came with what now is Grand National. A puller had to make all the pulls (for the one with highest total has point champ).
There were A B C pulls based on purses.
I missed 6 hooks in 1974 in lss the hook points alone would have put me 1 point behind Kimber Wilson (KImber won title)
Finshed 11 in point race got into Indy super pull by being regon winer

Re: NTPA Historical Question - to Dan M September 01, 2011 02:43AM
Thanks to all that have sent info. This is what I have found out-

1970 the champions were decided from three pulls, Spencer, IA, Columbus, OH, and Bethany, MO.

1971 champions were decided from points earned from pulls from May 1, 1971 thru May 1, 1972.

1972 champions were decided from points earned from pulls from May 1, 1972 thru May 1, 1973.

1973-1976 champions were decided from points earned from pulls from the summer circuit.

Feel free to correct if any of this wrong.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,720, Posts: 229,839, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,969.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro