john deere transmision September 18, 2011 10:50AM
if i run a 7 1/4 in a 4010 how much power will it hold up to?

Re: john deere transmision September 19, 2011 12:27PM
About 600 - 650 HP, depending on your track type. The first weak link is the cast support for the topshaft bearing. Make a steel one to help that. Then your next issue will be the top shaft flexing, as well as the directional force of the stock helical gears (especially in the front gear set). After that the syncro packs will become an issue.

Depending on where you are dreaming of going, save your money and get a proper three speed with the upsized gears and shafts. Trust me, I have been there/seen it, and you will just be angry.

If this is a temp idea, know that you are playing with fire.

Have fun!!

Re: john deere transmision September 19, 2011 02:15PM
WHO would you recomend on john deere 3 speed parts? thanks

Re: john deere transmision September 20, 2011 02:12AM
There are several reputable builders, and this is probably not all of them. They are all good in their own right, and they are all similar. Most of these guys are listed on the builder's page of this site under "Links".

GMS (Brent & Dennis Payne) - OH (South)
TPP (Adam Beihl) - OH (East)
Beckett machine (Scott Beckett) - OH (Central)
Lemke's (Robbie/Dan Lemke) - WI
Roberts (Doug Roberts) - MO
Pro Fab (Larry Peterson) - WI
Urmson Transmission (Tom Urmson) - PA

If you talk with any of them, you will get the idea about ditching the stock parts. They will all be able to help you out with the technical details. Forget about what the cost is, you will end up spending it anyways, believe me. They will tell you the same. Having the tractor split two or three times for the same fix gets old (and expensive!).

Re: john deere transmision September 20, 2011 03:12AM
ENGLER 812 386 6254

Re: john deere transmision September 20, 2011 09:20AM
im running 7th gear now with 18.4 38 and looking to get more speed would my best option be 20.8 38? ( i cant run no bigger than 20.8 38)

Re: john deere transmision September 20, 2011 09:32AM
?

Re: john deere transmision September 20, 2011 10:14AM
i tried 8th n broke the top shaft

Re: john deere transmision September 22, 2011 10:04PM
These guys are shooting you square. I paid for 2 of the three speeds before I ever purchased one. Very little machine work and easy enough any machine shop should be able to do it for you. your other option is to put a 4020 ring gear and pinion in it....lots of machine work, takes a really good machine shop that is willing to mess with you...when you are done you still have all the weak points.

Re: john deere transmision September 23, 2011 09:17AM
I did this and yes it will get you a few pulls but ideally you want to build a good tranny with straight cut gears. From what it sounds you want to get some speed.

So I would call Carl at Atlas Tractor and he can set you up with something that should work as that is where we are having ours done this winter. We did the stock thing and it is a headache splitting tractor all the time to replace gears and shafts I much rather have fun pulling or the ability to drink a few beers afterwards then to have to worry about all the work to fix it again. We broke it twice this year and we could have paid nearly 1/3 of the cost of a custom built one if we did right the first time not to mention all the pulls we missed because of it being broke.. I would say you should consider 7.5 which would be close to direct when compared to a IH, 8th which in the JD is a overdrive already and then maybe a gear slightly above 8th so you can turn those wheels if you are running a light class. If you don't need all that speed then maybe 7th for those heavy classes.

Hope that helps.

Re: john deere transmision September 24, 2011 01:03AM
Did you break the high pinion and the mating countershaft gear both times? If you make straight cut gears and put them on the stock 4020 shafts will it hold up?

Re: john deere transmision September 24, 2011 09:02AM
7 1/2 gear in a john deere is no where near direct in an IH. Even 8th gear in a john deere is slower than an IH in direct. The 8th gear in a John Deere is overdrive but the ring and pinion and planetaries still makes the total ratio slower than an IH in direct.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2011 05:23PM by J&R Machine.

Re: john deere transmision September 25, 2011 12:03AM
Put half gears in 4020 trans with 4010 finals in my new superfarm and wrecked the whole top shaft, all the synchro's, etc. Made 3 phone calls, Scott Beckett (Beckett Machine) answered his phone. We had it back together in week with his 3 spd parts. We did all of our own machining for shimming the gears and cut/welded the shift fork. The guy knows his stuff, treats ya great, and isnt afraid to do a little extra for ya.

Van De Weert Brothers

Re: john deere transmision September 25, 2011 03:01AM
What ratio is an IH in road gear on say a 1066 or a 1466?

Re: john deere transmision September 25, 2011 12:01PM
IH has a few different ratio ring and pinions but I believe the most common one makes direct about 21:1 ratio. A 4010 has a 22.6 ratio in 8th gear. 7 1/2 gear in a 4010 would be 29.3:1

Re: john deere transmision September 25, 2011 12:15PM
Can a person just put in heavier gears in a stock trans or do I need an actual pulling tranny?

Re: john deere transmision September 25, 2011 12:22PM
it sounds like i need to leave it stock or go to 3 speed but its over my budget for this year thanks for the info

Re: john deere transmision October 17, 2011 02:10AM
Anybody know the ratio for the top 4 gears on a stock 4430 quad. D-2 C-4 D-3 & D-4 ?
off the top of their head. Thank you.

Re: john deere transmision October 17, 2011 02:59AM
Do you want to know finals or ratios in the transmission only? Some of those are the same gear like d3 and d4, only d3 is 27%slower beacsue of the two speed reduction.

Re: john deere transmision October 18, 2011 01:57AM
Final ratio at the axle in each if you know.

Re: john deere transmision October 18, 2011 04:10AM
IH has a final ratio of 19:1 with a 13\49 ring and pinion in direct

Re: john deere transmision October 19, 2011 01:39AM
MG1206
IH has a final ratio of 19:1 with a 13\49 ring and pinion in direct

umm no, no it doesn't

Re: john deere transmision October 18, 2011 03:55PM
D4 is 23.17, D3 is 29.4 C4 is 35.59 and D2 is 38.098 This is all finals for a stock quad range 4430.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2011 05:37AM by KTA.

Re: john deere transmision March 14, 2012 10:07AM
Would you happen to know the ratios in C and D range on a 4455? Thanks.

Re: john deere transmision March 15, 2012 09:05AM
The ratios would be almost the same only 3% slower.

Re: john deere transmision March 15, 2012 05:22AM
I got a question, in my puller i have a 4010 rearend with the synro removed and two levers below my legs one has Low range, nuetral, High range, nuetral and reverse the other side is 1-4 according to what range your in. i want 7th gear but the high is very diffiuclt to get to high range could my detens need adjusting??? if that explanation makes any sense. And just wondering how much do one of the 3 speed transmissions run???

Re: john deere transmision March 15, 2012 11:28PM
Can you explain "difficult to get into"? Can't get it to engage (and therefore can't get to reverse)? Jumps thru (wants to go from reverse to reverse)? or ????

Re: john deere transmision March 16, 2012 12:57AM
If you have only deleted the syncros but are still using the stock shift collar that is keyed to the shaft in it's stock form, there is a good chance the key has been sheared off and the collar is split and is now a slightly larger OD, therby not allowing anything to pass over it. Been there, had that. Depending on what HP you are running, it is probably time to ditch the original trans and go with a three speed.

There are several who build them, and I'm sure you will get many responses if you ask who does them. Check the links section of this site under Builders and see what you find. Here are some that I know of who make the trans for SBJD:

Beckett Machine in OH
TPP/ Adam Beihl OH
GMS OH
Lemkes WI
Tom Urmson, PA

As I said, there are likely more, depends where you are located. Mine came from Beckett Machine, works fine. Scott is a great guy who is more than willing to help you out. I am sure everyone else is the same in that regard.

Good luck!

Re: john deere transmision March 16, 2012 04:30AM
well i should say my sycro is still in the tractor but the shifting on the coulom has been removed. so the levers have been moved between my legs the left lever contorls the High low range and reverse with a nuetral inbetween each so high is in the center of the shifting (front to back) L,N,H,N,R and high is very hard to find.. maybe is there any way to interanaly move high to the low spot

Re: john deere transmision March 16, 2012 02:57PM
3 speeds will run around 5 grand + a couple more if have them installed depending on what odds & end parts you need.
Not cheap, but neither is the alternative if you're reaching your limits.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,766, Posts: 229,932, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM