Cleaning Oberg oil filter screens September 24, 2011 12:39AM
What the best way to clean the Oberg filter screens. Diesel fuel, soapy water , gasoline etc.?? Can I use a small brush without damaging the screen

Re: Cleaning Oberg oil filter screens September 24, 2011 01:40AM
Brake clean.

Re: Cleaning Oberg oil filter screens September 24, 2011 03:36AM
Gasoline. Take a 5 gal bucket put about a quart of gas in it, put filter in, and let it set.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2011 03:48AM by Forrest.

Re: Cleaning Oberg oil filter screens September 24, 2011 11:02AM
On our race car, we always use brake clean and blow it out with air from the air compressor, just remember what way the oil was flowing so you blow it out backwards with the brake clean and then air.

Re: Cleaning Oberg oil filter screens September 24, 2011 12:04PM
I took apart the filters, I have Oberg tattle tale filters. There actually is foreign matierial on both sides of the screen. Not sure how they work? Do they filter on both sides?? I assume the oil spins on its way down to the outlet??

Re: Cleaning Oberg oil filter screens October 07, 2011 07:53AM
ether

Re: Cleaning Oberg oil filter screens October 07, 2011 09:24AM
You have something wrong. The oil comes in one side, passes through the screen and exits the outlet. Sounds like maybe the bypass spring is a little weak (I block the bypass off and modify the channels inside to increase the surface area). I have been using Oberg's for over 20 years. The way I clean is to immerse the screen in mineral spirits, slosh it around (back and forth). If I am in a hurry, I use a fine paintbrush to gently brush across the screen. I take it out of the spirits and shake off the excess spirits, then spray it with carb cleaner and blow with compressed air, then put in plastic bag for next use. I have a filter for each motor and spare screens so I don't have to do it at the event. I change screen after each pass. If you leave the screen in gasoline or other cleaner too long, you will have a swollen, misshaped piece that won't fit anymore (learned the hard way). Just my experience. JW

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,776, Posts: 229,946, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,032.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009