custom wide front end October 19, 2011 01:30PM
hey need some pointers to building a custom wide front end, can anyone give me some advice, I ve heard good and bad on making the front end solid, but its just a pulling tractor so i don't see the problem. Is there anything that people have used like I ve heard of people using running gear out of a hay wagon to start with. thanks for the help

Re: custom wide front end October 20, 2011 12:07AM
you could use a running gear, or a combine axle. I'm told an IH 715 is pretty popular, but I think a JD 4400 axle would be a little nicer, unless you are running real heavy. I actually have a couple JD's, and a 715 axle from my combine derbies, if you happen to be near SW WI.

Re: custom wide front end October 20, 2011 01:51AM
Sorry Bud I am in western Pa but thanks for the info what are people using for steering just rack and pinion? anything else? just trying to get some idea thanks again

Re: custom wide front end October 20, 2011 01:51AM
Sorry Bud I am in western Pa but thanks for the info what are people using for steering just rack and pinion? anything else? just trying to get some idea thanks again

Re: custom wide front end October 20, 2011 04:00PM
If u know Bill Shaw.. ask him. He built a very sharp tractor years back.

Re: custom wide front end October 20, 2011 04:51AM
Ih b414 spindle and hubs make a good starting point-compact yet strong! have used VW steering racks with good success too!

Re: custom wide front end October 20, 2011 02:05PM
Depending on your tractor some use the hydraulic cylinder off the combine as well. This requires either working hydraulics of some form on the tractor or a stand alone electric pump.

Re: custom wide front end October 21, 2011 07:24AM
would you make it solid or pivot, heard someone say a solid front end could break welds and twist frames but i ve seen to many solid wide front end to believe this, but would like to hear your ideas and thoughts. Any pictures would also be great

Re: custom wide front end October 21, 2011 02:00PM
Im like jim go with the IH B414 axle and spindles thats what i use for my super farm and use a rack and pinion out of a 79 Cheverolet Chevette. Very easy to turn even with a small steering wheel

Re: custom wide front end October 23, 2011 10:25AM
ok when you say IH b414 do mean the small little utility tractor that keeps coming up in my searches lol and where do you get the hubs and ect. at ??? i never seen that kind of tractor truthfully.

Re: custom wide front end October 23, 2011 11:16AM
Or the 275! go to a wrecker and there is bound to be a few of them in the salvage line up. I only purchased the outboard parts of the front axle(spindle,tube,and hubs)hubs are 6 bolt ag pattern.

Re: custom wide front end October 24, 2011 01:33PM
In the United states???

Re: custom wide front end October 24, 2011 01:35PM
Any one know if 4020 steering arms will fit on the schwartz spindals or is the spline different? I know a guy may have to drill and tap the top bolt hole.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,759, Posts: 229,920, Members: 3,336.
This forum: Topics: 37,094, Posts: 226,019.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM