PPL January 02, 2009 04:28AM
What distance is a full pull in PPL?

Re: PPL January 02, 2009 07:47AM

Re: PPL January 02, 2009 08:03AM
Unless you are pulling at Waynesburg, PA and Joe K is the only one out. Then they change it 3/4 of the way through the pull.to like 303.745.

Re: PPL January 02, 2009 10:47AM
They set the pulloff distance after 5 pullers. I think it can be 300, 305, 310, 315, or 320.

Re: PPL January 02, 2009 10:56AM
Waiting till after the 5th puller in the class, doesn't that some times screw the first puller in the class if he or she keep their 1st hook?

Re: PPL kinda confusing January 02, 2009 11:24AM
I think its a bit confusing if you are one of the first five and the flag man stops you for being past 300 or what ever and then they set a the full pull mark in front of the guys that may or not have been truely done. I have yet to see this happen personaly but it seems like it could be problem.

Re: PPL kinda confusing January 02, 2009 02:28PM
If no full pull has been set, you don't get flagged until you reach 320.

Re: PPL kinda confusing January 02, 2009 03:14PM
True but what if the flagman doesn't have 320 marked out is it a guess? I can't remember where it was and I don't want ot bash anyone but I saw this happen 2 years ago where a person pulled and got flagged at 318 feet. Then they made the pull off 320 feet. Confused

Re: PPL kinda confusing January 03, 2009 02:13AM
Well I'd never say that it was never messed up, but I believe the white chalk extends to 320 to prevent that.

Re: PPL January 03, 2009 06:49AM
It should 310 like the NTPA, then there is no confusion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 06:50AM by American Thunder fan.

Re: PPL January 03, 2009 07:19AM
Why should it be like NTPA's? Maybe they should all be 300 like it always was. I would like to see floting finish line,

Re: PPL January 03, 2009 08:54AM
Floating finish would be neat

Re: PPL January 04, 2009 01:11AM
Floating finish results in melted down engines. The finish line should be clearly defined before the class starts. When it gets set after a few vehicles have pulled, someone is bound to get "robbed". The reason for the variances in track length is because of all of the amateur sled operators that can't get the sled set right. (Yes I am referring to some of the biggest names in pulling sleds) Most can't read the track, it is just as important for the sled operator to read the track as it is for a puller to read the track.

Re: PPL January 03, 2009 01:47PM
NTPA full pull rule NOT confusing, that's a good one!!!!

Re: PPL January 04, 2009 02:04AM
The sled operaters have a tough job, the track changes through out a class especially the big ones. A puller reading the track to get one good run and a sled operator trying to read the track before a 30 or 40 hook class are to different things.

Setting the Full Pull after some tractors have pulled sounds like a bad deal to me. I think the NTPA has this one right (they had to get something right) with there 310' track. The 310' track gives the officials more to work with and lets the crowd see a few tractors in a pulloff but not most of the class. I was at Tomah a few years ago when they pulled off most of the superfarm class in the Saturday afternoon session, that was no good. This rule is a good way to keep that from happening again.

Re: PPL January 04, 2009 07:00AM
Guess you weren't at BG on Friday night. When 20 out of the 40 fwds made the pulloff. Same thing almost happened on Saturday in the twds. Only 12 made the pulloff but still, that is too many for a pulloff.

Re: PPL January 04, 2009 09:25AM
NTPA has fixed that. At the supernational level any class larger than 25 will be run on a 320' rule.

Re: PPL January 04, 2009 09:55AM
That fixes nothing. There's Tomah, BG and Chapel Hill. If one believes the sled operator's job is so tough, then making it 320 doesn't change anything.

Re: PPL January 04, 2009 11:03AM
If they run it the way the rule is intended it will fix the issue because the sled operators are supposed to still use 310 as their full pull marks.

Re: PPL January 04, 2009 12:04PM
Shouldnt the sled operators be using the 300ft mark as the full pull dstance instead of 310?

Re: PPL January 04, 2009 04:55PM
Not if the goal is to have a pulloff and one with no more than 3 vehicles. Ideally, then, the best vehicle pulls to near 310 ft. There may be other vehicles that go past 300 ft, but only 3, at most, will make the pulloff

Re: PPL January 04, 2009 05:06PM
It does. The problem at pulls like Tomah and Bowling Green is that with classes so large, the top pullers in the class may not be among the first 5 or 10 pullers. So the sled operator and track officials adjust the sled setting to 310 ft based what they've seen and what they anticipate the top pullers might do. Then, when the top pullers do run, they blow past the 310 ft mark. Having the finish set to 320 ft will reduce the likelihood that a pulloff with a dozen or vehicles will result.

Re: PPL January 04, 2009 07:24AM
I agree totally that the sled operators do have a tough job. One that resembles the job of a road commissioner. However, when you follow pulling close enough to see that the sled setting is way off after the first two tractors and no change gets made, what is the excuse for that? These sleds see the same tractors many times throughout the season, they should know who runs strong and who doesn't. It just seems to me that there are too many sled drivers and not enough sled operators. Very few of them have the desire or initiative to get it right. This is part of what leads to the track getting lengthened after a class has started.

The variable finish line is the way of the NFMS many of us will witness next month. On this very website it has been posted time and again that the fans do not want a floating finish. Set the mark before the class and leave it. Make the sled operator do his job, and may whoever makes it past the mark be declared the winner. The sand pile should be there for the purpose of safety only, and not to force people into seeing how much sand it takes to destroy an $80,000 engine.

Re: PPL January 04, 2009 01:15PM
The full pull mark should be set before the first truck or tractor leaves the track. The sled operator should know if his sled setting is good. Each sled operator would like to stop the first puller in the 285-300 ft. Then by setting the full pull mark at 310 or 315 work out well.
Changing the full pull mark during the class is unfair to the first puller in the class. For example, the first pullers distance is 298 and the full pull distance is set at 300 he would more than likely keep the hook. The second puller goes 296, the third puller goes 299 and then the fourth puller goes 311. Now they change the full pull mark to 315 would the first puller have keep his hook if he had known the full pull mark is 315? (probably not)

Lets say the first puller in the class gets flagged at 310 but was still gaining distance. They say "full pull" ( 310 ft) then later in the class the full pull mark gets changed to 320. Does the first puller in the class still have a full pull even thought he was stopped by the flagman at 310? This is the problems I have seen in the past with changing the full pull mark during the class.

Re: PPL January 05, 2009 04:18AM
PPL sets the mark after 5 pullers. For the first 5 pullers. The Flag man doesn't stop them unless they are flying past 320. If the first puller goes past 310. They don't yell full pull. The PPL pulls I have been at, the announcers explained it very well.

Re: PPL June 15, 2017 03:34PM
I was under the impression that NTPA had gone to a 330' rule for all GN pulls. Every one over 330' is in a pull off. Setting the sked after five hooks doesn't make any sense to me. Plus a pull off evens things out if the track does change. Floating finishes suck!

Re: PPL June 16, 2017 12:45AM
Just curious how you came across an 8 year old thread to comment on?

But I too like pulloffs.

Re: PPL June 16, 2017 07:31PM
I have no clue? Googled the forum and this came up. Explains most of my confusion

Re: PPL June 17, 2017 01:42AM
Grubby
I just finished my NTPA event the 330 rule is in effect for all levels of NTPA state-SN it's an insurance requirement

I was under the impression that NTPA had gone to a 330' rule for all GN pulls. Every one over 330' is in a pull off. Setting the sked after five hooks doesn't make any sense to me. Plus a pull off evens things out if the track does change. Floating finishes suck!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,783, Posts: 229,968, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,048.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009