Advice on Hooking engines crank to crank on mod tractor November 07, 2011 02:59PM
Wanting to hook two naturally aspirated engines crank to crank on a mod tractor and I would like some advice on if the engines should both fire number one TDC at the same time or if the firing order should be offset possibly 180 degrees from one engine to the other or if it really matters at all when each engines fires compared to the other engine. Advice would be appreciated.

Re: Advice on Hooking engines crank to crank on mod tractor November 08, 2011 12:13AM
Will idle better timed 1 to 1. Imo.

Re: Advice on Hooking engines crank to crank on mod tractor November 08, 2011 02:27AM
We run them. We set the idle on each motor then just hook the motors up. Some people say 1 to 1 some say 180 out we line the splines up and go pulling. We have run like that for years with no problems.

Re: Advice on Hooking engines crank to crank on mod tractor November 08, 2011 12:16PM
put one on number 1 cylinder and the other on number 6 makes both run like one motor, thats the way we always ran them

Re: Advice on Hooking engines crank to crank on mod tractor November 09, 2011 12:39AM
I ran mine one to one with no problems alwalys sounded like one motor

Re: Advice on Hooking engines crank to crank on mod tractor November 09, 2011 01:24AM
We have like new SCS-Coupler for a BBC Crank to Crank would like to sell it and couple of spares for it two.

Re: Advice on Hooking engines crank to crank on mod tractor November 09, 2011 02:37PM
what do you have to have for your SCS coupler? Would you happen to know what the spline count is?WE time both engines the same but with the Lenco coupler, the splines are pretty course and if you have to rotate one of the engines a little to get the coupler slid on, you have changed the firing order by a few degrees. maybe that doesn't matter but we are trying to get the two engines as close to firing the same as possible.

Re: Advice on Hooking engines crank to crank on mod tractor November 10, 2011 01:41AM
Since V8 engines fire every 90 degrees, no matter whether you couple them both at #1 TDC, 180 out, or ninety out, each engine is still going to have a cylinder firing simultaneously with the other engine. In order to split the firing pulses of each engine, it would seem to me that you would want them phased 45 degrees apart.

Re: Advice on Hooking engines crank to crank on mod tractor November 11, 2011 02:50AM
It has been stored away for past couple years, I'll get them out and count everything up. post email and I'll send some pictures.

Re: Advice on Hooking engines crank to crank on mod tractor November 11, 2011 05:26AM
to SCS Coupler..........Please send pics and price to stevenickel@hotmail.com

Re: Advice on Hooking engines crank to crank on mod tractor November 09, 2011 11:53AM
realistically, it doesn't matter....... however, technically, since a v8 fires at every 1/4 turn of the crank, if you set both engines on #1 TDC and then turn one of the engines 1/8 of a turn, you have a more even rotation. A cylinder is firing every 1/8 of a turn....... I myself do not go to the trouble of timing my twin natural...... but technically that will give a more even and balanced rotation.

just my $0.02

sean

Re: Advice on Hooking engines crank to crank on mod tractor December 04, 2011 04:34AM
DOES NOT MATTER!!!!Most multi-engine pullers run a clutch between their engines anyway,so if one dies it doesn't pull down the rest.With this setup you cannot,in no way "time" the engines.

Re: Advice on Hooking engines crank to crank on mod tractor December 04, 2011 08:21AM
The OP was talking about coupling the engines directly. No mention of a clutch.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,752, Posts: 229,904, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,090, Posts: 226,006.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM