Turbo? Minirod? December 04, 2011 02:59AM
Im wondering if anyone out there has messed with a blow through carburator. My dad has a small wheel mini rod 26x12x12 with a 2.3L Ford Engine that we turbo charged, it does run on alky. We set it up with a blow through carb and are having issues getting the fuel pressure to over come the turbo pressure while not over powering the float and the seals in the carb. Our biggest issue is at idle the fuel likes to pour through the carb into the intake. We are very close to getting it to work, we set a return line from the carb back to the tank so we can set the fuel pressure and float a fuzz higher at idle to compensate when we get the rpm up. But when we get it up the turbo pressure tries to force everything back down the return line. Im thinking possibly a auto shutoff/check valve in the return line that closes when pressure starts to build? Also we want to put a inter cooler on it and were wondering if anyone out there had pictures and could explain how the Lucas Super farms, and bigger tractors use the ice type of cooler? We appreciate any help.

As for the mini rod question i was wondering if anyone out there could help me with some info. Im working on building a new chassis for a n/a economod mini rod. I realy like the open tube concept similiar to what the Baurs use. Ive heard They use a 1.25" tube for the main rails and the tubes that are in between are smaller? is this correct? Also wondering if any one could help me with some dimentions, length, width, the chassis im currently replacing is a beast. Im trying to save on weight and it seems to be extremely wide and long. Does any one have contact info for the bauers or someone with a similar type of chassis? Last thing i know most use chrome molly but im thinking of steel its cheaper and im not putting the power or the weight to it. Any input?
Thank you for any input.

Re: Turbo? Minirod? December 04, 2011 03:27AM
They make fuel pressure regulators that will change fuel pressure to go up with boost so u may want to look into if that would work with ur setup.

Re: Turbo? Minirod? December 04, 2011 05:20AM
The problem you're having is the fuel bowl atmospheric vents and the fuel delivery nozzles are both seeing boost pressure. When the boost comes up, it will try to blow the fuel back out of the bowls and back to the tank.

As far as the fuel delivery pressure, the way I have seen it solved is to run a strong, metal fuel tank. Then you use a pressure line from the crossover pipe and run it to the top of the tank. If you're running relatively low boost this isn't terribly dangerous but if you're trying to cram 50 psi in it, BE CAREFUL. Pressurizing the top of the fuel tank to the same pressure as the manifold equalizes the resistance the pump sees from boost pressure. You set the pressure where it's not flooding over when the engine is idling, with no boost.

I don't know how the boost pressure will affect the delivery nozzles, they may still work fine because the airflow across the venturi should still generate a pressure drop, but I've never tried to simulate a blow-through carb setup on the flowbench. You will have to keep the bowls filled with fuel to the proper level in order to find out though.

Re: Turbo? Minirod? December 04, 2011 06:18AM
We have a aeromotive fuel pump and regulator that adjust fuel pressure 1 to 1 with turbo pressure. Our problem is keeping pressure low enough at idle not to overcome the float but high enough to supply the thirsty motor at high rpm down the track. One thought was switching from a two barrel to a 4 barrel to have more fuel available? Im worried if we do a suck through and run trhough a intercooler our fuel will condense back to droplets instead of a good mixture. One of our problems is also the air temp going to the motor hence why im thinking a intercooler. Also in our rules we are not allowed to have pressurized fuel tanks.
Thank You for the ideas

Re: Turbo? Minirod? December 04, 2011 10:04AM
Don't some of the fuel injection guys use a lean-out valve at idle so that it reduces flow to the injectors so it'll idle better, then close the valve before they begin to accelerate so they have the amount of flow they need at WOT? I thought I overheard someone talking about that once.

You could use something like that in your supply line to the carb, drop the effective fuel pressure until you're ready for it, then either manually close the valve when you begin accelerating or get creative and set it up to operate with your throttle lever.

Re: Turbo? Minirod? December 04, 2011 08:07AM
Easiest solution is to inject the 2.3, then you can put a inter cooler on and not have to worry about it, and injecting is way easier to work with. Froozenboost.com has all kinds of intercoolers for a good price. Aluminum wysong rails on the economod? or advanced chassis outta ohio

Re: Turbo? Minirod? December 05, 2011 05:20AM
Thanks for the input. we thought of trying fuel injection but havent given up yet on the carb. we like doing things different. The way it runs now theres alot of potential just need some new input we are running out of ideas. We have heard it can be done just havent heard of any one doing it in this application
Thanks

Re: Turbo? Minirod? December 05, 2011 06:47AM
I have a friend that runs a drag boat with a blow-thru carb at about 20 psi and it works well. I can find out who did his carb if you would like.

Re: Turbo? Minirod? December 07, 2011 05:16AM
yeah if you could that would be great.

Re: Turbo? Minirod? December 07, 2011 08:39AM
C&S Carbs: 636-723-4996

[www.candsspecialties.com]

C&S is the one my friend uses on his drag boat.

Also: Quick Fuel Technologies 270-793-0900
[www.quickfueltechnology.com]

I have a higher quality pic, just couldn't attach it here.

Re: Turbo? Minirod? December 05, 2011 08:13AM
Sent you an email about this. Let's talk.

Re: Turbo? Minirod? December 06, 2011 07:27AM
We thought about a carb on ours but went ahead and injected it, but instead of an intercooler we inject water ahead of the turbo, cools fine.

Re: Turbo? Minirod? December 06, 2011 08:00AM
As for the chassis we built one using one inch od tubing and 3/4 od for the bracing in it, and have another with wedge rails similar to a wysong built by breeze machine, his # is 417-399-3898.

Re: Turbo? Minirod? December 07, 2011 05:19AM
did you use steel or chrome molly? i was thinking of using steel to keep cost down and im only running a n/a chevy 350 so i think it would work? would you happen to have a picture of the frame?

Re: Turbo? Minirod? December 07, 2011 02:46PM
Its steel, and I will take a close up pic of it. All I have dont show it very well.

Re: Turbo? Minirod? December 13, 2011 06:27PM
if you could that would be great. my email is ddpullingteam@hotmail.com
thanks

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009