Farm and pull w/ same tractor??? December 04, 2011 05:33AM
I'm sure most of us started out this way- I'm gonna build a pulling tractor that will kick butt on the track, but still be usable on the farm. Whether to convince a wife, or to convince ourselves that this is not just a toy, but a useful machine. So has anyone actually achieved it? I tried with a 460 with 301, but by the third year it would take a couple hours to put it back to farming, and I was looking at doing more to be competitive, pushing it past the point of no return. Guys think they can with a too hot to farm class, but to be real competitive you really do need to be too hot to farm! Are the antiquers able to be farmable and still competitive? Just killing time and wondering if anyone has found the elusive setup that works well for both.

Re: Farm and pull w/ same tractor??? December 04, 2011 06:53AM
While I don't farm now, I am not afraid to take my AC 210 out my buddy's field and do some recreational tillage. Chisel ,and moldboard plowing. Last year I pulled a 3 row corn picker with it. Only thing I changed was the drawbar, and took rear weights off to have access to my hydraulic couplers. The key is to not demand all the power your tractor is capable of while in the field. My biggest worry was damaging a rear tire! Nice bald road worn BFG radials can be tough to replace. This post will likely get lots of replys!

Re: Farm and pull w/ same tractor??? December 04, 2011 07:34AM
I used my 1466 to plant with for 3 or 4 years after I started pulling it. Cut up to much now.

Re: Farm and pull w/ same tractor??? December 04, 2011 08:27AM
Depends upon what your rules are. If you're pulling a true "out of field" class, it would be no problem to farm with the same tractor, probably without even having to change much back and forth. Since most "farm stock" classes have gone way beyond that, many of which are just glorified profarms, allowing water and basically whatever the market will stand, you are going to have to have a pulling tractor to compete and a working tractor to work.

Re: Farm and pull w/ same tractor??? December 04, 2011 08:39AM
All depends on how much time you want to devote to it so you can justify it with your wife or yourself. You could spend a day or two changing everything around, from the tires to weight brackets, 3 pt maybe even the motor. However, not to worry in time you will get sick of doing that and it will be only on the track. FWIW, I know this from experience.

Re: Farm and pull w/ same tractor??? December 04, 2011 09:52AM
it would not be so bad if did not have to give it a bath between field and track. then it,s that darn hook and unhook.etc.

Re: Farm and pull w/ same tractor??? December 04, 2011 09:54AM
The average Nebraska 3000 rpm tractor should be able to go to the field. Yes probably have to change a few things as in put a few parts back on and maybe remove a weight bracket if its in the way. I used to take mine right from the track put the 3 point back on and use it with the same pump,lines, injectors and leave all settings the same. It was allot of fun to use like that ............ BUT you had to use your head a bit and be careful doing certain things. This is on a tractor that ran high 4 TA ahead in the 9500-10500 classes. It was my only tractor so it got used for everything ....... winter or summer. Pushing snow with it was a blast!!!

Re: Farm and pull w/ same tractor??? December 04, 2011 11:26AM
You don't think much of the 3000 class tractors in the area do you?

Re: Farm and pull w/ same tractor??? December 04, 2011 11:55AM
NOPE!!!!!!

Re: Farm and pull w/ same tractor??? December 04, 2011 12:22PM
When I pulled farm stock w/ my "good" 1206, it wasn't any problem going from the farm to the pulling track, then back again. But, I was about the only true 'farm stock' tractor in that class, had no mods or upgrades, just switched drawbars & put a weight bracket on the back, so I always got my backside handed to me. Didn't matter, I still had fun, and did get 2nd in points one year.

Re: Farm and pull w/ same tractor??? December 04, 2011 12:21PM
Well lets see..................................... I built a LEGAL ACCORDING TO THE RULES AS VOTED ON AND WRITTEN. Then when I ran high 4 TA ahead which was beating everyone including "the good ole boys" who pay others to make their tractors run and still couldnt get the job done so Terry at the awards banquet in front of everyone refused to give me the season champion trophy and recognition for my accomplishment .........Instead I got banned from the group. Nope .......... dont have any like for them or the ones who wanted help and I gave it to the to help push them to the top where they could be and they crap on me . yeah no dont like them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2011 12:25PM by KBacker.

Re: Farm and pull w/ same tractor??? December 04, 2011 09:29PM
We got a 4440 that we use to plant beans, cut hay, and run dump cart. that we have been pretty successful running in farm stock all we do is polish the stack and turn up the pump.

Re: Farm and pull w/ same tractor??? December 05, 2011 02:14AM
KBacker: When ever you go up against the "good ol' boy group", and hand them their axx's, and do it ON YOUR OWN, when they've spent trillions (kinda like the government would do), and you spent pennies.....................IT JUST DON'T SIT VERY WELL. AND.........if you do it with an OFF COLORED TRACTOR..............THAT, makes it EVEN WORSE. NOTHING will ever change in that department. THEY are still chiseling wheels out of stone instead of incorporating E=MC2. They prefer the Homer Simpson "DOHHHHHHH!!!!" approach to everything. They are the ones that do things the SAME way every time and expect different results.

Denying you your accolade in front of everyone was B.S. IMHO. Remember: HE WHO LAUGHS LAST LAUGHS THE BEST.

Re: Farm and pull w/ same tractor??? December 05, 2011 05:26AM
I have a JD 8.1 commonrail dozer motor that I think would do well in the farm stock class the only problem is that I have a computer for it but no throttle position sensor to run it. I think with those cubes you could run nice size charger combined with the convenience of a computer you could turn it up and down lickity split.

Re: Farm and pull w/ same tractor??? December 05, 2011 11:46AM
we used to put the loader back on when running farm stock but got tired of it, and your right it is REALLY fun moving snow with a flame out the pipe! not real cheap on the auger fuel wise either! lol

Re: Farm and pull w/ same tractor??? December 05, 2011 12:56PM
I have a JD 4320 that i pull and farm with it isnt so extreme i cant still work it plowing, it can be seen on youtube under my screenname rt52town

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009