Powder coat December 12, 2011 06:55AM
Where can a person get a good powder coating kit, dont want junk. Wanting to do my own, so what brand kit does everyone use and how do you like the results?

Re: Powder coat December 12, 2011 07:59AM
Didn't know it was do it yourself. You need oven and other stuff to cook it, kind of big process for do it yourself I think.

Re: Powder coat December 12, 2011 09:41AM
I have a cheap set from Eastwood.. and an old double oven someone gave me.. and it works.. but it takes some practice.. some colors are easier than others.. and making sure your product gets to the correct temps..
I'm interested to see what others are using.. as I'd like to set up to something better also...
Bryan

Re: Powder coat December 12, 2011 10:12AM
[www.columbiacoatings.com]

Re: Powder coat December 12, 2011 12:48PM
I would recomend a Nortson prodigy. But u don't want a good gun. U want junk
It

Re: Powder coat December 12, 2011 02:44PM
As reasonable as the powder coating rates are around central Iowa, I don't know why someone would WANT to do their own.
Leave it off in Hubbard and work on something else for a day or two, and go pick it up.
Heck, if it was cheap and easy, OCC and Paul Jr. Designs would have their own powder coating stuff. They don't.
Heck, my brudder in law is tighter than two thumbs up a toads rectum, and he gladly pays to get powdercoating done.

Re: Powder coat December 12, 2011 10:36PM
It's a little like a home vasectomy kit.....yeah, you probably can get it to work but you might just mess it up so badly you'll need a new one. Just call someone who is local and is reputable. In the end you will be so much happier. There is no real rocket science to it but you do need some specific equipment and more practice than you might have spare time for.
We generally charge by the square foot or piece depending on the complexity of the part and amount of prep required. If you would like please call me I might be able to help you ask your local coater the right questions.
Rob Bonino
270-348-1873

Re: Powder coat December 13, 2011 02:32AM
The trouble is, it is a 3 hr drive to the nearest powder coater so time you drive or ship the peices, down wait in line to get it done, have it shipped back I figured I could do it my self and it would get done and ready to bolt on the next day.

Re: Powder coat December 13, 2011 03:00AM
This is my Multi- Million dollar set-up LOL.

I have a Eurotec static shaker gun system . Just uses the two size box style powder boxes that you can buy from Tiger Drylac. We bought it off of a company that went out of business.

We built a cabinet that we can hang the parts in that we put a fan in the bottom to suck the access dust out. We have two electric lab ovens that cook the parts most are 200 degrees for 10 mins. We can do 24"x24"x34" in our ovens. We are looking for bigger but it is hard to find electric with any size. There was a guy on E-Bay that builds them for around $1200.00

The big thing is prep all of our parts are bead blasted and cleaned ahead of time. We have done outdoor signs and Metal Art for 7 years and our first stuff just looks like the day it was done.

You can't beat powdercoating nothing looks as good and is as easy. All of our stuff cost us about $2500.00

Re: Powder coat December 13, 2011 04:09AM
speaking of ovens? couple winters ago my brother and I decided to form our own acrylic aircraft windshields figured it would be a one off quick do it once kinda thing? first our mould had coating issues ala softening finally progress to tightly wrapping pool table covering over it! now for the oven we used plywood wrapped in fiberglass insulation,did I mention this was supposed to be a one off? for heat we fan fed heat from 3- 5kw furnace elements after every failed attempt the plywood would become more encouraged to burn thus adding extra heat but also threatening to consume windshield! shop was taking on that sugar shack ambiance! if I remember right we needed at least 370' f to soften the material properly! so after pretty much vanquishing local supplies of that thickness acrylic, we had 2 and possibly 3 good ones. So you can pretty much build your oven out of pretty much anything?

Re: Powder coat December 14, 2011 10:14AM
Down on the reservation we use oak burning in circle of stones for our powder coating furnace.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009