6000 mods December 12, 2011 02:44PM
Who is building one of these for 2012? Could be interesting to see how it works. If it goes well will and they branch to regional will it kill the heavier regional mods????

Re: 6000 mods December 12, 2011 02:46PM
What heavier regional mods?
None in region 3.
Might as well adopt the 6000 unlimited rules in region 3 and 5 now and save about 5 years building the class back up from the ashes.

Re: 6000 mods December 12, 2011 03:21PM
How many bar rollcage do the unlimited 6000 need a 2 or 3 bar?

Re: 6000 mods December 12, 2011 04:46PM
2 hoop.
BUT, if you want to jump up a class, better have the three hoop on.
You will learn all about the world of CMS, and titanium.

Re: 6000 mods December 13, 2011 12:29AM
Doc whiner wouldn't like that..

Re: 6000 mods December 14, 2011 02:40AM
I think in the short run it may help RN II as some tractors will add weight and run RN/state as there won't be many hooks in the 6000 lb class the first year or two. I know that is what we plan to do and I know of one other tractor that will do it some in RN II. As was mentioned most will run three hoop cages so they can weight up to run other classes.

S'no Farmer

Re: 6000 mods December 13, 2011 01:26AM
You will have Bauer, Jostock, Feiss, Shramek, not sure about Slagh, and there were a couple of others that escape me right now. The 6UNL is a GN class only. Too many restrictions at the RN level to figure out a combo. There could be quite a few if some of the older stuff out there would diet and go two with 14's at least for the first couple of years until everyone figures out how to put 4 motors on. JW

Re: 6000 mods December 13, 2011 02:16AM
Jostock will not be building a 6000 mod!!!

Re: 6000 mods December 13, 2011 12:08PM
Heard a few guys are having knee and hip replacements just to save weight on the seat a couple others are gonna quit drinking beer to make weight one other mod driver said he will only eat life-savers and ice chips 24 hours before sounds like they are getting serious about this class.

Re: 6000 mods December 14, 2011 01:42AM
My bad...Bob might not be building, but I bet he will run the class, just as some others will. JW

Re: 6000 mods December 14, 2011 06:35AM
so all your telling us is there are mods that are going to loose motors to run the 6000 pound class. wooo really exciting not!!!!

Re: 6000 mods December 14, 2011 11:16AM
You will see some of that but you will also see some tractors that will run a very high power to weight ratio. Tractors running two Hemis with big blowers and three Chevy with 1500 less lbs and in at least one case three Rino engines. You may see four Chevy at 6000 lbs that is a lot of H.P. per lb. I'm not sure you can expect a lot of guys to spend a bunch of money on this class until it gets more hooks.

S'no Farmer

Re: 6000 mods December 14, 2011 12:09PM
less engines, tractors wont hook up, and all you will see is chevy, chevy, hemi, chevy, hemi....... sounds about as exciting as firestone, firestone, firestone. But I guess all knowing Bauer and Berg get what they want. I also find it funny how when the meeting after the enderle was over this class hadn't been discussed. Guess they want a certian board member with an allison to get in the way.

Re: 6000 mods December 14, 2011 01:22PM
YOU REALLY DONT KNOW MUCH DO YOU

Re: 6000 mods December 14, 2011 01:59PM
He sure doesn't know much!
I keep hearing about a 2 engine deal with screw blowers, and spark plugs screwed in thru the valve covers.
I think the 3 Rhino deal may be too much engine and not enough moveable weight. Luckilly the jockey is not large.
I think there has already been a ton of money spent on vehicles for this class.
And just for "sounds boring" Berg had nothing to do with this class.

Re: 6000 mods December 14, 2011 03:47PM
Well I know enough that evey mod fan can count. And when they are use to seeing many different engine combinations and 4,5, and 6 engines on a tractor why would they want a class of just 2 or 3 V8 engines. I guess if I want to watch a real mod show there is always PPL.

Re: 6000 mods December 14, 2011 04:34PM
I think the class will be great but they should maybe give the twin Allison guys a weight advatage maybe 6300lb or 6500lb Being the v8 guys have them way out powered otherwise I think its a step in the right direction!

Re: 6000 mods December 15, 2011 01:02AM
What the h--- is your problem? Somebody pee in your Cheerios? Go watch the PPL mods, then we won't have to hear your negative bs. I don't understand people not taking responsibility for their own emotions. What is it to you if an organization starts a new class? Be responsible and watch it or don't. No one owes you anything in the world of truck and tractor pulling. I suppose, just for you, ten to fifteen new pullers should just go out and spend a hundred thousand or so for the three hooks this year. Get a life. JW (meant for sounds boring).

Re: 6000 mods December 15, 2011 01:21AM
JW that is what my problem is with this class. Yes to start out it my be fairly in enxpensive to get into but the 3 rhino engine tractor is going to kill this class before it starts. light weight chassis, light clutches, bellhousings, everything will have to be light. So then the pullers who want to run this class will be spending upwards of $100,000. And then what class is the ntpa going to drop cuz they would never double book a mod show. I turely hope this doesn't kill the 7500 mod, but I'm afraid that is what will happen.

Re: 6000 mods December 15, 2011 01:20AM
to sounds boring, you sound like a Nascar fan.

Sounds Boring... Really??? December 15, 2011 03:11AM
I think one of the reasons this class came about is to add some excitement as the weight to power ratio will be quite high. I must say that I was disappointed when I heard about the class the day after the meetings and the mod committee was not asked for input but I'm still glad to see the class.

You say if you want a real mod class you will go to PPL? Have you looked at their mod class lately? It is mostly 4 engine Hemi tractors with a few Turbines. I have some good friends in the PPL class and they are great pullers and a good organization but you talked about this new class not having different combos??? I agree that having three Rino engines in the class will not bode well if they get it to work and I would guess that they have a pretty good idea if it will work or they wouldn't spend the money to build it.

They have hooked every class you can think of to their sleds and have been running a very similar tractor for a few years so I'm guessing that they have hooked their tractor in it's lightest form to their sled to see what happened! More power to them if they have the desire to make it happen, it will be fun to watch.

S'no Farmer

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 15, 2011 05:54AM
Sounds boring, if you look at this class from across the pond(which is basically the same but 1000 lbs lighter) you will see there is a good mix of powerplants. From the v12s to the hemis, and the industrials, hell there was even a radial in the pulloff. The only downfall i see is if these tractors weigh 5,000 lbs, and run two hemis, there really shouldn't be a problem in getting three on a tractor if someone put some thought into it.
[youtu.be]

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 15, 2011 11:04AM
it's actually 5500 lbs .. and there is hope: The twin Hemis usually lower the hitch (and many others running a longer hitch) to keep them under control. 3 Rhinos at 6000 lbs will be quite a task to get dialed in at 6000 lbs. I would suggest that with two up to date Hemis you'll have enough power to run a "normal" hitch. But at 6000 lbs the variety is dead.
You can still buy those radials "out of the box" for like 10.000 US $ and with good mechanical skills can build a competitive tractor for the 5500 lbs. At 6000 lbs you'll be just too short on power.
Basically the same for the Griffons.
I could imagine a twin Allison at 6000 lbs though... not going to be cheap, but possible.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 15, 2011 11:21AM
i think this class will be good to watch.to me the mod class and unlimited are to close together.id vote anyday for the 6000 and unlimited,and only those two.look at the 6000ss,when that was gettin started it was the talk of the boards for two years,and i think because it was different.how can the 6000 mod not be a shot in the arm for the mod division.personally i think it was a big mistake doing away with the 5500 mod years ago....

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 15, 2011 11:36AM
In my opinion is was PLAIN stupid to make it 6000 lbs. The guys who made that limit were either not up to date in available rear end / light weight tractor technology or simply wanted it to be a three Hemi class only.

This is, what it could have been like:
(and if you don't have your pants wet by 5:32min, I feel sorry for you)

on the local level

What you'll get now is another Hemi only show.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 12:07PM by Sascha.

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 15, 2011 04:34PM
the first video is awesome..nowhere and i mean nowhere in the states is there variety like that..and hasnt been since the days of the 5500 mod classes..

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 15, 2011 07:25PM
The sad part is, a question about a 500 hp Farm Stock tractor would probably raise the attention of 1000 people. This topic... 800 even though it's been going for a while.

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 16, 2011 01:03AM
If this is done right, the class is actually 5800 pounds because there is supposed to be 200 pounds moveable weight. So, certify a scale, remove the 200 pounds and weigh the tractor. If it is 5800, you can put the 200 moveable back on and pull. But, if scale games are played and the 200 rule is not enforced, then yes, I have my reservations about the class also. Don't be surprised to see a 4 motor tractor compete in this class, though. You can say all you want about control, but, trust me, if a puller is dedicated to making it work, it will. Might take some some time, but look at all other classes that people have said, "Oh, that can't be done." For example, look at minis, not that many years ago, Cepek tires were not dependable at all. Now, there is not one mini on GN that runs anything but and very seldom is there tire related control issues. To recap, if the rules are followed, it should be an exciting class. And if the 7500 goes away (don't think it will entirely), well, that is simply change--costly change for sure. JW

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 16, 2011 10:30AM
Sascha is right, bring up some turbo limit on a hot farm or something and there be a million hits. sad, but true. most fans in the stands these days don`t farm and will watch anything, but if you ask a fan at any pull that has all classes running, 90 percent of the time they will like unlimited mods or minis or someting other than say, SF/PS. Call me crazy but Chicks dig horsepower and noise.!!!! not slow and silent...........I will be in Gordyville, so go easy on me!!!!

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 16, 2011 11:20PM
200 lbs of moveable weight enforced will make for a little variety and might prevent triple Hemis with big blowers running full hitch hight.
A twin Hemi / good triple Chevy should make a decent combo for some time to come.
Our best guys run about 2700 lbs - 2800 lbs on the nose at 5500.

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 17, 2011 12:42AM
What would a Mod with twin Dt 466 weigh could you get it in the 6000 class? Also would a 903 cummins on on alky with all the goodies be competative in this class?

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 17, 2011 01:47AM
We have several 600+ cui Alky engine powered tractors in the class.
Some guys used a big 800 cui semi engine with stock 4 valve heads, others just simply put a typical DT 466 Alky SS engine in.
When running well, they get into front end weight (lack of it) trouble.
A twin DT 466 has a hard enough time to make weight in the unlimited. I think in ""race ready" trim with fuel system, turbos and clutch they are around 2200 lbs, so two of them would give you 4000 lbs + the need of a crossbox.
A single Allison (with clutch) is in the 1800 lbs range, a Griffon around 2200 lbs, V8s are in the 850 to 1000 lbs range (depends what blocks, size of blowers, ...) the big radials I believe are around 2650 lbs.
So given you can run a 2650 lbs radial at 5500 lbs, even on HPs (and then there is not much of a chassis or rear end left- can you say fragile?!), at 5800 lbs you can theoretically place 2950 lbs of engine, clutch & crossbox in your 6000 lbs class.
So the 903 cummins would for sure be an option - as well as most other semi engines (and there is nice stuff out there)

Weight savers (and often neccesary) compared to the typical 7 mod are:

Aluminum carrier and diff in rearend OR smaller rearend altogether (Here they often use Deutz rears - size is a bit alike the F106)
Sheet metal rear end housing in ROUND shape, so you don't end up with a bunch of oil volume.
5 gear aluminum MAN/Mercedes planetaries
single layer aluminum rims / wheels
used tires showing some cord
aluminum brake disks
For the brake system better check into stuff made for race cars
Carbon fibre fenders (ok, can be costly if you make them huge - but they don't have to be)
Carbon fibre also used for cover plates, intakes / scoops
sheet metal exhaust systems
external starters
small LiIon Batteries on board, no starter battery on board
Hollow axles and drive shafts
Be prepared to use plastic bolts where possible and legal

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 17, 2011 03:51AM
Can't wait until Tomah, you all might be in for a big suprise as far as what, who, and how many will run.
Tim

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 17, 2011 08:27AM
Oh boy, please please please tell us who!!!! I hate surprises.

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 17, 2011 09:25AM
I will be at Tomah and i am excited about this class. I remember the 5200 mods and they were exciting, and that was 25 years ago. This could be a very interesting mix!!!

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 17, 2011 05:30PM
I think it will be a fun class,look at how populur the Light Supers are,so i tend to think the LM's will catch on fast.
I do kind of think they should of made he weight a little lighter,thats good for me as a fan,but can understand the
puller wanting the extra pounds...Maybe i am just from the old school days when we had 5-7-9 and UNL classes
and quite a few ran all 4 classes and several ran 3 classes..But back then we wasn't dealing with the HP these engines
are making today..Used to be some wild rides back in the 5 mod class when the twin engined blown tractors ran,sometimes
they won and sometimes a single blown engine or a twin engine injected or carberated engine won..Here in Ohio we have
had the OMTPA's Club 6500 mod class for several years now and it's a pretty decent class,a little heavy in my mind,but thats
just me and my 2 cents...Randy..

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 18, 2011 03:43AM
ofb,im with you on this class.personally i think the unlimited is ho hum,yea theres lots of power and noise,but they dont pull the sled any farther than any other class does.to me the unl class is ok to watch,but i think the unpredictability of a light class would be far easier to be interested in.like you stated the wild rides and who knows what to expect is exciting to b e a fan of.i can see the numbers being huge for this class in a few years too..ofb,maybe we are old school,but those were the days that will always live in the fans mind..

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 19, 2011 11:02AM
Glad i'm not the only person stuck in the "Good Ol Days "..I remember helping Milt Bergman add engines to his singgle Allison with Olds V-8's added for the heavier classes.I swear on my life that me and a friend lifted a engine up that set on a channel iron frame a size smaller than the c-iron on the engine.He was in a hurry to make it to the next class abd he clamped a pair of vise grips to the 2 C-iron pieces to hold it,hooked up the drives and we asked about putting in the bolts and he said the vise grips would be fine..He was right and they held that engine on..I'll always remember that story and have heard the same story from others...

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 19, 2011 03:32PM
you know whatever happened to his tractor that had,like 7 or 8 motors on it.if i remember he rode out front and sat under a motor.they were stacked on top of each other..

Re: Milt Bergman December 19, 2011 04:16PM
Thats the same tractor back in the earlier days,was called Rambunctious and had 6 Olds engines,not sure what CI,i'll post a early pic..I don't remember him running more than the 6,but he had room between the rear wheels for another engine,so he might have?.Later on he put on a single Allison and added the V-8's for the heavier classes..Then later on he ran twin Allisons stair stepped and kept on from there souping those up with turbo's etc..I remember him making a lot of wheel standing passes with the twin allisons,strong tractor in it's day..I have asked several times where he and the tractor are today and no one ever replys..It was like he dropped off the radar..His son also had a twin Allison in the later years that ran real good also,it was called 'Rambunctious Too"..I also found a pic of the tractor with a single Alison and a V-8 in back.Randy.

Re: Milt Bergman December 19, 2011 05:19PM
thanks ofb.i remember when he switched to the allison with the v8.watched it quite a few times with tnt in the civic arena in pittsburgh,im guessibg early 80s..the 6 engine tr would be a neat restoration to do..i imagine he got some good rides sittin out there on the nose..another mod i always liked was carl schnelers playboy,there was not another mod that sounded meaner than it,when it was cold..i see its still going strong too...

Re: Milt Bergman December 20, 2011 02:14AM
We were at Anthony and Jill Schmeising's wedding two years ago and we sat with Milts son. He said that the twin Allison tractor was still in the shed and that he always says that he is going to get it back out on the track but never seems to have the time. Milt was at the wedding also and looked great. BTW there was an Allison block in a pickup truck in the parking lot of the church :-) .

S'no Farmer

Re: Milt Bergman December 20, 2011 12:26PM
Heres another photo of Rambunctious. Was it the first 6 engine tractor out there? I think it was if i remember right.

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 18, 2011 08:02AM
The light mod class was sure fun to watch in the late 1970's-1980's..A few that I remember were Harness,Utz,Reed,Stull,Austin,Schneller,Sporhase,Rittinger,and others...Loudmouth Lime sure took some wild rides..

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 19, 2011 02:34AM
Yes, NTPA Grand National mods were great back in that timeframe (87'-89'). Remember when Tim Engler won all 4 classes with the Mission Impossible tractor. He added and removed alot of motors that year!

Re: Sounds Boring... Really??? December 17, 2011 09:50PM
Sascha. LOL got me at 6:03 The class needs to be light in order to keep it on the edge............... Top Video

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,766, Posts: 229,932, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM