Cutting off Axles? December 17, 2011 02:31PM
How are most cutting off stock axles.. We've done it a few different ways.. but Just wanted to see what others are doing..
Thanks,
Bryan

Re: Cutting off Axles? December 17, 2011 03:01PM
Clamp a chop saw to axle and cut it off. MACK

Re: Cutting off Axles? December 17, 2011 03:45PM
Just did a 460, Chop saw with extra clamps on the axle. Pull the trigger and push the handle. Worked really good.

Re: Cutting off Axles? December 17, 2011 04:14PM
if u have a bigger size grinder with a 6 or 8in cut off wheel i found wrks the best might use a couple wheels
but wil save u half the time u can also use a normal size grinder with 6in cutt off wheel spin the axle every so often
grinder wil take half the time of the chopsaw and wil not get nearly as hot always had good luck doing it thiss way
hope this helps

Re: Cutting off Axles? December 17, 2011 04:21PM
go buy a portable band saw

Re: Cutting off Axles? December 17, 2011 09:41PM
band saw won't touch most axles-case hardening,will need to grind at least the outer layers before using bandsaw on the rest!

Re: Cutting off Axles? December 18, 2011 12:00AM
I have done this several times and i have used a demo saw. the big ones like a still chainsaw with about a 12" cutoff wheel. takes about 5 minutes an axle on a tractor with big axles. works great!

Re: Cutting off Axles? where's Sven? December 18, 2011 12:48AM
looking forward to his opinion on this important matter??Beer

Re: Cutting off Axles? where's Sven? December 18, 2011 04:22AM
Sorry, vas a sleepin in, had Christmas party and had to sneak out of the sheep pen while Ole was feeding them!
Me an Ole yust cut sum off last week.
We had the gas powered cut off saw ideea two. But we didn't wanna buy another saw, so we took the arbor off the Deeewalt cutoff saw and bolted her up to the Johnsered after we took da chain and bar off. A handy hint two know before you do this is to empty out the chain oiler BEFORE yew git started!
Anyway, dis time we yaked up one side of the trakter, and fired it up and put her in road gear, and let out the clutch. Another handy hint,maybe use a hydraulic bottle yack, or something not too tipy, like a handyman yack,,,, they tip over too easy. Me an Ole know dat now, but we didn't BEFORE.
Anyway, back to axle cuttin,
With the axle a turnin in road gear and the throttle at aboot pto rpm, start the saw and figger out what way the blade is spinnin, time for another handy hint, do NOT check for direction of cutting blade with your finger. Ole says it isn't the best way to get to meet the cute nurses at the emergency room. but when yew see what way the glove pieces and skin and blood sprays out, yew will know for SURE what way the blade is spinnin.
Anyway, yew want the blade a turnin the opposite direction of the axle. Now, the way ours came out, It was a lucky thing I was behind the axle, cuz when she fell off the high lift jack, the tractor took off like a shot!
Time for another handy hint, if yew are a doin this inside, have the tractor heading towards a door and maybe have it open. That there is actually 2 handy hints, ours was pointin to a wall. The overhead door guy comes Monday, we have a place for a new door in the shop, but less space for a work bench.
Anyway, that was working faster than the way we used tew do it with the lectrik cut off saw.
Also, Lena is a bit put off by having her chicken house run over and chickens runnin scared all over the county!
Another handy hint, is to hook up the kill switch to something in the shop that can't move. Seems a bottle of whiskey isn't heavy enough to pull a kill switch. Guess we should have tied off to the anvil the whiskey was a sittin on.
Well, Doc Sutter got Ole all sewed back up, but he can't point so pretty good anymore, the end of his finger got sewed on crooked, and he has given directions to three tourists and they are all still lost.
So, we gat the tractor drug back out of the chicken house, and we yacked it up onna udder side and we even used jack stands and a big stump to hold her up so she wouldn't fall off. Fired things up and started to a cuttin off the other axle. Now it is time for another handy hint, PAY ATTENTION! See, what the deal is, you want to cut the axle off on the outside of the wheel! Well, we wasn't paying attention so pretty good, and that saw went right thru that axle, and with it a turnin in road gear at aboot pto rpm that tar was really a spinnin!, well, when we cut thru the axle, that tire took off like a shot!
Luckilly we was outside doing this since Lena wouldn't let us back into the shop till we got this project done.
Only thing is, when the tire took off, it went right down the driveway, and right then Abe Shoewinkler and his wife was on their way home from the Amish church in their buggy, and that tire hit their buggy broadside. Spliinters, wheels and horse turds flew everywhere! After everything settled down, Abe and the wife was OK, so their son Jonah came over with the big wagon and we loaded everything up and they went on home.
Me and Ole took the gator out in the field to git the tire and that thing was over a 1/4 mile away!
Hope tew see yew all at a pull next summer.
Anyone know where to buy a used axle for an 806 Farmall?

Re: Cutting off Axles? December 18, 2011 03:05AM
Tried a band saw and it barely made a mark. Ended up setting a chop saw on blocks and it cut through pretty quick considering. Clean cut also.

Re: Cutting off Axles? December 18, 2011 03:28AM
I think the technical name for "a chainsaw with a cutoff wheel" is a Target Saw. But that's pretty much what they are and I've heard they work very well for that.

Re: Cutting off Axles? December 18, 2011 03:29AM
I have cut John Deere axles off with a bandsaw before but it really trashes a blade. I usually have the axles out of the tractor and put them in the lathe and machine them down to get under the hardness and then the bandsaw works ok. I usually turn them down enough to get under the keyway and then make the hole in the weld on hub .005" smaller then the axle. I then heat up the hub until it will slide on then weld it.

Re: Cutting off Axles? December 18, 2011 04:21AM
I cut axles off in my bandsaw all the time. But then again it is a good metal working bandsaw with a good blade. I take them out of the final drive and slide them in. It makes for a nice staright cut and is super fast. I just cut a set of 4630 axles off and it probably took 5 min to cut them both after they were in the saw. A good blade of the proper tpi makes all the diffrence.

Re: Thank You Sven December 18, 2011 05:10AM
Thats some funny stuff Sven.

Re: Thank You Sven December 18, 2011 02:58PM
Sven rules!! We cut them off with a Stihl gas saw, while they we're on the tractor, 2.5 min per side. Weld plates on and you're done.

Re: Thank You Sven December 19, 2011 04:37AM
Thanks Sven...
We have done the chop saw before.. but never tried the band saw.. Just figured it was going to be too hard..
Thanks guys..

Re: Cutting off Axles? December 19, 2011 07:30AM
Chop saw or Gas Demo Saw both work. Have plenty of spare blades handy. Watch the feed rate and don't bind the blade. Safety gear is a must and a fire lookout. The method I prefer and use Axle out Carbide chop saw takes about as long to get it clamped as to cut the axle. I prefer to have the Hubs be press fit and V'd so I can make as close to 100% weld penetration as possible. I then chuck the welded assembly and face off the end of the axle and Face off the hub so that I know the wheels will run true.

Re: Cutting off Axles? December 19, 2011 03:27PM
LOL @ Sven.
We use lathe + parting tool and come back and face it off nice and smooth.

Chris Watson
Watson Motorsports
Batavia, OH

Re: Cutting off Axles? December 21, 2011 10:37AM
Just finished cutting my axels,6 in cut off wheel on a 4 in hand grinder. Works pretty good,but you haft to take your time, be sure to wear good leather gloves and eye protection. Dixie.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009