oil used for pulling torque amplifier December 25, 2011 08:14AM
What oil does everyone use for pulling in a IH transmission with a pulling T/A

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier December 25, 2011 08:45AM
Call cenpeco. They have oil for CAT steering clutches that is hydraulic oil without lub improvers. We run hyd oil and mineral spirits. I heard atf too. Where did you get your TA? Is it stock? 5 6 7 disc? If you bought a pulling TA ask the place you got it from.

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier December 25, 2011 08:47AM
We run distilled water with a touch of baby oil. Don't cheap out on the distilled water though, and make sure to get Johnson & Johnson baby oil

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier December 25, 2011 02:29PM
About 80% diesel fuel and the rest 40 wt engine oil.

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier December 25, 2011 03:37PM
Why dont you guys just run Hy-trans?

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier December 25, 2011 06:20PM
I've been told hy-tran is too slippery, its been recommended to use the mineral spirits with hydraulic oil or the caterpillar hydraulic oil. I believe the cat oil is called T04 and the # is 8T-9568. I'd have to check the container but I think that's right. This oil has worked great in both a five and eight disk ta.

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier December 26, 2011 03:49AM
What about Cat's 30w or 50w TO4. Would the 30w be better than the 10w or Would the 50 be too thick? I read they made this oil for powershift transmissions. So wouldn't the heavier oil be better for the loads this will see.

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier December 26, 2011 10:13AM
I belive thinner oil is better. Harder on you pump, but the idea is to have your discs bite not slip. You can shim your pump to blow all your gaskets out with the thinest oil so pressure is not the problem. We have never made it a whole year without changing our ta discs. The mineral spirits makes the ta hold, but kills the discs. Sounds wierd I know.

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier December 27, 2011 01:13AM
i know of one guy who runs atf and gasoline. Extremely sticky he says

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier December 27, 2011 11:28AM
hytran is the only way to go. if you have a good high quality torque, shim the torque properly, set the pressure, make sure the spool travels all the way in both directions, and set the dump valve correctly, you should not have a problem. haven't had a bit of trouble with my torque, still shifts like it did the day we put it in 3 years ago. but everyone has there own opinion and this one is mine.

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier January 03, 2012 01:06PM
do not even use the dump valve !,,its a ta killer,,throw the linkage in the trash.not need for tractor pulling.if you get on a gear bind,just shift to low, easy and never worry about the adjustment,,hytran is the only way to go, 400 psi and it will hold for a lot of yrs

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier January 04, 2012 03:11AM
What hp can hy tran handle. What about the gears

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier January 04, 2012 05:04AM
Also for the guys running 8 disc allied ta's, what kinda HP are you putting through them and how are they holding up?

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier January 04, 2012 08:24AM
We were running the 8 disk this past season and that part heldup fine, we broke the high side constant mesh which in turn tore out the low side. I believe Jeff said it wrecked the carrier. Fixed the cm gear and finished the season using high. Last time on dyno was making 1050 hp and 2350 tq running 3 or 4 teeth over road at 10500.

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier January 04, 2012 09:18AM
what cubic inch and class do you run in if you don't mind telling. what the part number you had on the cat oil correct?

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier January 05, 2012 03:15PM
was that the correct part number for the cat oil

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier January 05, 2012 06:24PM
That should be the number that I responded with, can't check at the moment though. Running a 640 profarm with a 3x? charger.

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier January 15, 2012 11:44AM
BC35, do you have a way I can contact you, I have a few questions on a ta if you wouldn't mind.

Re: oil used for pulling torque amplifier January 16, 2012 02:17PM
You can pm me here or email at bcasey0134@gmail.com

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,957, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,040.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009