AC pullers from yesterday January 08, 2012 03:50AM
Just returned from gordyville and didnt see very many orange tractors. The tractor from indy i think it was kochs i recognized. Twenty year ago i remember seeing a bunch of them. Wondered if anyone remembered some of the good ones and there names. Thanks.

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 08, 2012 07:35AM
Two good ones from Alabama were Leon Haneys D21 called Cujo and shirley and keith haney had JR it was a 180 both are still pulling tractors have changed alot tho. The Allen Moore in Kentucky had old rags it ran really well as a D21 and when they put the agco sheetmetal on it but havent seen them pull for few years tho.

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 08, 2012 07:55AM
From the old videos I've seen, Bob Williams ran a D-21. Haferds, then Dennis Wuertz ran the Buckeye Thunder D-21. Isn't the Ross/Englehart D-21 still pulling? Shramek (the dad) ran the Menace (D-21) 20-some years ago.

Re: AC s from Indiana January 08, 2012 07:59AM
I remember going to lots of pulls with my dad around Indiana back in the 70s and 80s, and at least in the Hoosier state, there were lots of them.

Starting light, there were guys like Dave Chrisman, Merrill Smith, Terry Wood, and Dennis Lucas with the WD-45 (this was before he and pulling partner Harold Volland built Re-Pete, which was a second Oliver 88 to go with the one Volland pulled for years).

In the 7SS, who could forget Danny Bobb with the 190. This was an NTPA Champion in the early 70s. Marvin and Dennis Bobb also pulled a stout D-21 in the heavier classes. The Cates Bros, Norm Green, Bob Mitchell, Al Koch, John Lancaster, Harold Wilson, and Brad Howell all had a lot of success in the heavier classes. The Hunleys from Austin, IN also had some success both in HSTPA, and in Kentucky and Tennessee. Later on, Mark Gettinger started doing well in the late 80s with his Equalizer D-21.

The 70s and 80s were a great time of pulling in Indiana, and if one were an AC fan, there were lots of guys to cheer for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2012 08:01AM by The Original Michael.

Re: AC s from Indiana January 08, 2012 08:24AM
Do you remember a Hunter guy? think the town he was from was norman indiana.

Re: AC s from Indiana January 08, 2012 08:48AM
Yes. I remember Ray Hunter from Norman, IN. He ran a D-21 SS in the heavy classes. I think he quit pulling around '75 or '76. I remember my dad talking with him at a few pulls.

Re: AC s from Indiana January 08, 2012 09:01AM
Funny thing i just talked to a guy yesterday from that area that said some of his family was looking for his old tractor. Thought maybe it had went to texas or oklahoma. Said they would love to get it back.

Re: AC s from Indiana January 08, 2012 09:32AM
max simpson and keith haynes would have to be near the top of a list,dennis and allen brabec too...

Re: AC s from Indiana January 08, 2012 10:29AM
So would R.C. Mathis from Ankeny Ia.

Re: AC s midwest January 08, 2012 11:38AM
john tentis 210 the orange lion, Krenskis 180's, orlin schnewins orange crusher 190 from minnesota, dick and mike klingbiles 2
d-21's from south dakota.

Re: AC s midwest January 08, 2012 01:08PM
I would add Dave Sinks, Orange Crush from Bridgeport, NE in the 70's and Arnold Baker, from ?, Kansas in the 80's.

Greg

Re: AC s midwest January 14, 2012 11:05PM
Whatever happened to that Farmer's Revenge tractor out of Nebraska?

Re: AC s midwest January 08, 2012 01:44PM
John's 210 sold on his estate sale a few months back. anyone know who purshased it?

Re: AC s from Indiana January 09, 2012 12:35PM
Rick Avara D 21-8030 Paul Bungenhagen, Bernie Platts 190XT-7000 Cox and Harrison D21 I know these have already been listed but Benny, Don, and Herb McKinnon were something special in their day. Went to Pleasant Hill to the fair when I was a kid and a McKinnon won every class. One year at the Greene Co fair Don full pulled and broke the front spindle so they jacked the front axle up and tied it to the frame rail with a big chain in the pull off he won. Also I have to say during my first trips to Louisville -1978 John Lancaster's old 210 was a brute. She always had trouble making that 2nd run in a pull off though. The same with Brad Howell, what a great looking clean tractor his 7045 was, and could run with anyone if he didn't have to pull off. Our family farmed with Allis Chalmers for years, we are green now but still love those AC's.

Re: AC s from Indiana January 15, 2012 02:46AM
I also remember a D-21 called the widowmaker. who pulled it.

Re: AC s from Indiana January 15, 2012 08:29AM
Mark Schlagle (spelling) puled the D21 called the Widowmaker from Conersville area.

Re: AC s from Indiana January 08, 2012 11:37AM
If you drive by Bobb's place, they had 4 AC pullers around their flag pole about 3 weeks ago. I think they still have an AC they pull with around here some. Then there is Dave Christman's 180 from Edinburg, Indiana.

Re: AC s from Indiana January 08, 2012 12:35PM
They have had them out there for a year or two now. The narrow front on the D-21 looks kind of neat.

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 08, 2012 11:34AM
I see Brice Terry finished third in the finals with the Hy Strung D-21. Its an awesome looking tractor!

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 08, 2012 12:35PM
cant forget benny mckinnon and old faithful

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 08, 2012 11:34PM
don't forget the guy to win the points on a ac- gordon outride

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 09, 2012 01:44AM
Kenny & Sue Bryant with the D-21 Allis-Challenger from Jamestown,Ohio.

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 09, 2012 11:48AM
I have some pics of a Tractor you guys have not mentioned yet. The tractor is a AC-185 owned by Dean Steinke the picture was taken in 1983 in Dean's hometown of Eaton, Ohio at the Fairgrounds. Hope you enjoy them.

Dean's Special 1st Pic

Dean's Special 2nd Pic

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 09, 2012 01:55PM
Those side shields were still hanging in his garage last time i was there. He is a great guy. still pulls altered farm on a d-21.

No one has mentioned Doug Huffman and his Ironhorse 210. That thing has made a lot of passes down the track!

Phil Overdorf from Tipton has Max's old 'mean ole allis' too i think.

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 12, 2012 02:01PM
Well, I guess I need to try to represent the east and Ontario. But, you're making me have too remember back a long ways. Yes, A-C's were rather popular back then, in those areas, too.
Pete Smith "Alley Cat" 180, Gary Giles 190 Sweet Talkin Allis (he now owns D-21 Old Blood), Bob Raycraft D-21 Mama's Thoroughbred. 2 180's, an orange and a black one from Vermont. Jack McCooeye 180 from the Ottawa Valley (eastern Ontario). From southwest Ontario at Brantford was the '73 NTPA 9 SS champion, Gord Oughtred on the 220. Then he built D-21 strictly for pulling. Then Pierre Beaudry from Quebec bought it.
That's what I remember at the time, but I think there are others, too.
In Ohio was Kevin Pasek's D-21 Born to be Wild. Also, Bob Williams D-21 Double Trouble that went to Ahoy with Hileman's Ole Red mod.

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 13, 2012 10:11AM
Doug (can't remember last name) from IL that had the All Business CIH also had a LSS Allis called Monkey Business. Loved those names. Anyone know where Monkey Business is now?

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 13, 2012 11:06AM
It is still here in IL. I can't remember the guy's name that owns it but he pulls some still in ITPA.

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 13, 2012 11:46AM
I would love to know where Pete Smith's Ally Cat went too????? I live about 6 miles from his old farm in Dundee N.Y. everytime i drive by that farm i look in the old shop were he worked on the Ally Cat .........Damn I miss them Old Day's

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 15, 2012 05:06AM
Back here in the East we had a couple good running AC's here in the 70's and early 80's. Marlin Brubaker ran a D-21 called Father's Dolly and was very tough in any class he ran here in SS. Also Dale Smoker ran either a 180 or 190 SS. Jim Brubaker ran a 180 or 190 and a D-21 also but the D-21 may have been Marlin's tractor. I know Leon Oberholtzer who currently runs a D-21 called The Persuader got his start back in the 80's I believe on a 180, 190 or a 210. Don't remember which model. All were good runners back in the day and had many wins. Today we have Leon still and Dave Becker has a component D-21. Rich Lustik ran a D-21 for years called Super Steeler which is still running today as Super Allis up in NY. Dambach brothers had a D-21 also called Fire Fox. I may have forgot someone but these are the ones that come to mind (whats left of it) Smiling

J R
Eastern Extreme Pulling
www.easternextremepulling.com
EEPPULLINGVIDEOS

Pro Pulling Magazine
Hook Magazine

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 15, 2012 06:23AM
Well, I was working in my photo negative and remaining photo albums from the early years, searching for photos for customers and "the PULLER".
So, I gleaned out some more tractors. But, some of them were just mentioned by "J R" - Thanks.
Also greatly appreciate "Long time puller" adding a nice list, many of whom I've never heard of.
I hope Dan M. of Pulling Depot has / will have them all in his history. It's awesome what Dan is doing to preserve pulling history.
My list of more to add (maybe some have been mentioned) until the mid 80's:
NY - Bill Gabel 180 Father's Pride. Yes it still pulls today in WNY Pro Farm circuit.
From an '82 NTPA pull in Stittsville, Ontario is an 180 diesel Dog Gone Allis. Anyone know who it is?
PA - Rich Lustik's D-21 Super Steeler in chrome was immaculate. Probably the best looking D-21 puller ever on the circuit (although today Mike Schultz from IA with Black Jack is right there, too.)
PA - Dale Smoker 180.
PA - Leon Oberholzer 180, then D 21 Persuader.
Ohio - Bill Hirt D21 Runnin Bare.
Ohio - Haferd Bros. D21 Buckeye Thunder til 85, then Neil Gettinger's.
Michigan - Mark Bingham 180 Orange Flash.
IN - Harold Wilson D 21 Sledhandler.
IN - Bob Mitchell D 21 on alky.
IN - Duane Cates D 21 bought by Mark Gettinger.
IL - The personable Terry Wood, an A-C engine engineer, sharp but nameless 190 D in 5SS. Terry still makes a contribution, at times, here on the board.

Keep them coming if anybody else has some to add.
We should do a MM list, too.

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 15, 2012 07:04AM
Dave,
The Dog Gone Allis was Mac MacPhail from Perth Ontario.
The Jack McCooeye 180 you mentioned in earlier post became Dog Gone Allis in 1980.

The black and orange 180's from Vermont were owned by Mike Reed, Pied Piper Orange, Pied Piper Black,
and also Pied Piper D-17. Mike also had a D-21 for awhile.

Q.

Re: AC pullers from yesterday & other stuff January 15, 2012 01:23PM
Thanks "Que Fan" for the correct info.

Mac MacPhail's Mod, I believe, was the only type chassis I've ever seen. He used an industrial pipe, about 10" diameter and welded it to the adapter plate to an old tractor rear end, possibly a Co##shutt 40, which certainly was very popular in the day. 2 little front wheels on a narrow front end. Then mounted 2 Dodge 440 carbureted motors with an automatic tranny, all cooled by a front radiator. Turn those 24.5 45 degree angle tires (BFG?) for the 7 & 9 Mod. Known as "White Lightning". Mac was a White farm tractor/implement dealer. Yep, that was fairly common tractors on the state circuits, even some still on big NTPA circuit, in '77.

But that was a time of big time transition in the NTPA big circuit. The next two issues of "the PULLER" Legend series will feature two well known pullers on the cutting edge of that new 'powerful' technology. And then the April issue will be the same theme, but with SS power, May featuring an innovative Mini puller and conclude the 2012 features in June with FWD.

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 15, 2012 08:23AM
dambachs was previously bill waltons

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 14, 2012 12:37PM
His name was Doug Leach (not for sure about spelling, but they pronounced as "leek") he was a teacher at rend lake college

Re: AC pullers From Midwest-High Plains January 14, 2012 01:03AM
Here are some old AC pullers that I remember in the Midwest-High Plains area in the 1970's thru 1990's..
Some of these have already been mentioned..

Iowa

Ken Brabec D-21
Brabec Brothers 180 plus 8030
Wes Gielau D-21
R C Mathis D-21
Arlin Jensen 190XT plus D-21
Roy Becker D-21
Proctor Brothers D-21

Missouri

Dohrmans 180 plus D-21
Dave Marino D-17
Mark Henke D-21
Jim Dameron D-21
A F Yarick 190XT and 180
Shrameks D-21's and 7045(Brad Howells)
Eugene McNeely WD-45 and 190XT (40 plus years)

Kansas

Francis Arganbright D-21-came from NE,later went to OK,and then to AL Koch
Jerry Hedtke D-21
Kevin Honeycutt 7060 4 charger only pulled a couple of times
Arnold Baker 180-national champ one year
Don and David Allison 190 plus D-21
Elmer and Doug Gluee D-21
Gene Sutherland 180
Al Potocnik D-21

Oklahoma

Ned Schreck D-21
Butch Mason D-21 (From Arganbright)

Texas

Someone pulled a 180 from Paris,TX? and there may have been a D-21

Colorado

Merle Luther? D-21

Nebraska

Dave Sinks 180
Tim McGuire D-21-went to Arganbright

South Dakota

AC dealer in SE part of state had a D-21-Mike Klinginbile?

Minnesota

John Tentis 210
Larry Sass ? pair of 180's
Don Krenske 180

I'm sure that I've forgotten a few..

Re: AC pullers From Midwest-High Plains January 15, 2012 06:34AM
I was woundering if any one had any pics of the old Orange Teaser tractor

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 16, 2012 12:45AM
from ohio gary karlen who has aftermath a component but started as a d-21. he also had the his dream her nightmare d-21 before that. gary sold his dream her nightmare to mike shearer who campained it in the 90's before selling it. and before mike shearer had the nightmare he had a a.c. 180 with the name orange blossum special that was ran in the 80's i think

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 16, 2012 02:44AM
I remember back in the late 70's Dale Haley brother of mod puller Dave Haley had a D-21 super named what else Haley's Comet

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 16, 2012 02:44PM
does anyone no anything abt this ac

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 19, 2012 03:10AM
Sunkist 180 was built by the Engles Bros Dave and Duck from Seymore Ind.Two other AC pullers that have not been mentioned are Steve Smith Smith Farms D21a past NFMS winner in the 12000 PS and Dave best ONE OF THE BEST 220 a 2nd place finish in the 10000PS at the last real (NTPA) Indy Super Pull.

Re: AC pullers from yesterday January 19, 2012 03:50AM
Wisconsin in the '80's and '90's had Rich Garb with the Orange Crush 180, Brabec's old 180 Country Dude came to Henry Walski for a few years when he replaced his Oliver 88. Mark Ruf had a 220 he pulled Badger State super farm with in the late '80's. On the ATPA circuit in the late '90's the Mann Bros. from Indiana were tough along with Ken Mckillip's Smoker 180.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009