new look January 17, 2012 08:34AM
Jake - that new look is fine - but this small font size starts to hurt my eyes on a common 1980 x 1080 screen after a very short while.

Re: new look January 17, 2012 09:07AM
You're just getting old.. haha.. OK on mine at 1600x900... I like the updates... Looking good guys....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 09:07AM by JDGnut.

Re: new look January 17, 2012 10:39AM
Mabye.. just wondering wether it is the font size or the contrast with the "red-ish" side bars. Typing this I need to get very close to the screen.. which I usually don't have to. Well.. maybe I just need glasses...

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 10:42AM by Sascha.

Re: new look... Font-Size: em vs. px vs. pt vs. percent January 17, 2012 01:44PM
Thanks for the feedback about the new look. It’s funny, the fonts are actually bigger on my screen than they were with the old layout. I’m not 100% sure, but I think it’s how I defined the font sizes; in the old layout I assigned the fonts point sizes, in the new layout they are sized by percentage. It’s interesting how the fonts render differently on different browsers and resolutions.

I’ll play around with it more and see if I can make it a little more consistent.

I’m still ironing out some new design features, graphics, and layouts and I’ll be tweaking the page for the next few weeks to get things a little more refined.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: new look... Font-Size: em vs. px vs. pt vs. percent January 17, 2012 02:41PM
Looks good!

Re: new look... Font-Size: em vs. px vs. pt vs. percent January 17, 2012 04:25PM
The fonts are very small on my laptop

Re: new look... Font-Size: em vs. px vs. pt vs. percent January 17, 2012 10:32PM
Hi!
The new background really helps!
I think the only thing to be adjusted now, is the font size when you type a message. Strangely enough, all other fonts are bigger than these....

(Of course for those with lower resolution screens, it looks bigger - but considering 1920 x 1080 screens sell for like 100 to 150 bucks now, they should become pretty popular soon. Also on Lap Tops with high resolution you face the same problem. This on one of those new Ultra Books... ouch

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 10:34PM by Sascha.

Re: new look January 28, 2012 04:53AM
The posts don't all fit on the screen for me and there is no scroll bar to move side to side, so I miss some of the words at the far right of the posts.

Re: new look January 28, 2012 06:34AM
Interesting, there should always be scroll bars to read the entire message (the only thing that should go out of view is a really really big photo). Could you do me a favor:

- Press Prt Sc and capture a screenshot of your window when the words are getting cut off (you might need to hold the fn button.
- Open Paint and paste a picture of the window (hitting ctrl v also pastes)
- Save the file on your desktop as a .jpg and then simply attach it to a message.

It would really help me figure out what is going on.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: new look January 28, 2012 06:53AM
Jake Morgan
Interesting, there should always be scroll bars to read the entire message (the only thing that should go out of view is a really really big photo). Could you do me a favor:

- Press Prt Sc and capture a screenshot of your window when the words are getting cut off (you might need to hold the fn button.
- Open Paint and paste a picture of the window (hitting ctrl v also pastes)
- Save the file on your desktop as a .jpg and then simply attach it to a message.

It would really help me figure out what is going on.

What is the fn button?

Re: new look January 28, 2012 07:06AM
It's the function button on your keyboard. You may not have one, it's just depends on how your keyboard is layed out and where your "prt sc" key is. Find the "prt sc" key first and try pressing that and then open Paint and paste.

Computers make our lives easier!

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: new look January 29, 2012 08:10AM
Seems to be ok on my laptop. I was having the problem on the computer at work. Probably just some goofy setting on it.

Re: new look January 29, 2012 10:47AM
I'm really glad it's working on your laptop. If you can figure out the "prt sc" thing on your work computer I’d still love to see the screenshot so I can try to solve the issue so nobody else has the same problem.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: new look January 29, 2012 09:45AM
Jake, have you tried to set your own screen to a lower resolution to simulate his problem? Probably quicker than guiding him through sending you a screenshot.

Re: new look January 29, 2012 10:44AM
Yes, I’m getting a scroll bar at the bottom when I adjust resolutions or even shrink the window down.
I always try to test my site on the highest and lowest resolution my computer has. That's what makes the problem so strange.

With my new laptop I also plug into my TV to test the colors (screen angle on a laptop can really mess with color tone).

My wife is a Mac user (but I love her anyway) and I always try to look at the site on her Mac Book Pro, Ipad, and Iphone (thankfully her department at school uses Mac so she gets to borrow all those things, we couldn't afford Mac stuff otherwise). I found a minor problem with the header on the Ipad/Iphone last week, but I think I have that solved.

If anyone has a Droid phone and has issues please let me know, it's the one device I haven't viewed the site on yet.

Thanks for the font screen shots by the way. I’m trying to figure out why the font in the reply text box is smaller than the rest of the fonts. They are using the same size font and they appear to be the exact same size on my screen, but they are definitely much smaller on your screen.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: new look January 28, 2012 05:14AM
On my MacBook, the fonts, where I'm reading the post or typing one, are both much smaller than your previous system. Definitely have to wear reading glasses now in the new system! OK - The font I'm typing now, if it gets any smaller, I'll need to use a magnifying glass along with my reading glasses to see it! But, hey maybe its a Jake strategy to reduce the particiaption (of us, or at least some of us, yahoos - lol).
The color differentiation in 'threads' does not work well when their is only one thread per new topic. Especiallly when scrolling down the page scanning relatively quickly what the topics are or looking to followup from a previous viewing, to find the always moving topic. I like Fonda's setup, in this aspect, much better.
But, thanks a whole bunch for providing this pulling community service!!!

Re: new look January 28, 2012 07:09AM
Dave,

Regarding the different color threads, are you referring to how alternating topics are white, then grey, then white, then grey, etc… Do you think there should be more contrast between the colors? More space between the topics? A horizontal line dividing the topics?

Regarding font size, I’ve spent a lot of time looking at other Professional “news” sites like CNN, Foxnews, MSNBC, ABCnews, etc... They have teams of web programmers that layout those pages. I’m no programmer, and I’m definitely no web-designer so I’ve tried to model my site after those professional “news” types of sites. I just looked at some of those sites on my wife’s MacBook Pro and in general their fonts appear to be a little smaller than mine. I’m not a Mac guy so how do their fonts look in comparison on your MacBook?

One of the hardest things with a website is there are no real size standards. There are multiple browsers, screen sizes, and screen resolutions and they all render things differently on different computers. I guess that’s why the real programmers make big bucks.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback, I’m trying to make the page as user friendly as possible and as close to a professional “news” page as possible all on a budget of $0 and no formal training. Thanks again for the ideas and pointers.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: new look January 28, 2012 10:39AM
Jake, CBS news stories accessed via my MacBook are about the font size of your threads, ABC is larger & really a nice size whereas NBC is relatively small. So based on that, you are at the average. Good job for not having the formal training! If that is the size you select, I can live with it. If it is the very small size I'm currently typing, then 'yecch'.
The grey / white alternating is a good idea. When a new thread is only one line, its white and sandwiched between 2 sizable gray threads, then the white one can be rather hard to detect if cruising down through the topics rather quickly. But I'm also noticing that the lightining - mainly what environment I'm in, a bit about the computer monitor backlighting - all may have an effect upon 'quick visibility and deferentiation of topics'.
Thanks for your concern, listening and continuing to try your best at providing an interesting pulling community 'sounding forum'.
However, are you giving and receiving enough 'dad' time and hopefully not at the expense of 'dear' time. Don't let this computer thing rob your time away from the family!
P.S. - I said "post message". Fortunately your system threw it back in my face to fill out the "author and spam code" instead of trashing all my work to worthliness.

Re: new look January 28, 2012 12:49PM
I like the new layout also. The font size is right on my laptop. New threads are in bold print and threads that have been read are in regular print. I have my text size set to larger and the zoom at 125%. The threads are seperated by altering blue and white backgrounds.

Trouble viewing threads January 29, 2012 04:56PM
Jake,
I've been having trouble viewing threads when I'm signed in. Sometimes everything is ok and other times like now the only way I can read the responses is to sign out. When I'm signed in sometimes I'll get a message that says "Sorry, the message you have requested could not be found" when I try to read a thread and there is nothing else there, then I get redirected back to feedback. Also noticed that if a topic has three replies and I click on it I might only be able to see one post and not all of them. It does this on both my laptops and on my droid and it seemed to have started sometime around Gordyville, this is when I first noticed it cause I couldn't read some of rocky's results. Any ideas?

Re: Trouble viewing threads January 30, 2012 12:22AM
Another registered user noticed something similar. I think it has to do with one of the template files that control how you read messages. If you login go to “Control Center”, then under “Options”, “Forum Settings” what are your settings for “Message reading display options:”?

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Trouble viewing threads January 30, 2012 12:38AM
The message reading display option is set to multiple messages per page sorted by time.

Re: Trouble viewing threads January 30, 2012 12:47AM
Try changing it to “Multiple Messages per page, threaded” and see if you still have the same problem.

The other registered user that had issues changed his settings from “Multiple Messages per page sorted by time” to “Multiple Messages per page, threaded” and it seems to be working.

I think there is an error somewhere in the “sorted by time” template but I haven’t been able to replicate the problem yet.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: new look January 30, 2012 10:52AM
I view the site via my android phone almost exclusively. The only complaint I have is that there is little space between topics or between ads on the for sale page. Sometimes I have to try 3 or 4 times to select the right one. This is probably a function of me having fat thumbs though. A quick zoom in solves that problem. Otherwise it looks/works great on android.

Re: new look January 30, 2012 12:27PM
Chuck,

Thanks for the info about the Droid. I have the same fat fingered problem with my wife’s phone. Thankfully the zooming is so easy on those little phones. I’m too cheap to pay for a data plan of my own, but I’m amazed at how cool it is to have the entire internet at your fingertips.

Thanks again for letting me know that the page works on the Droid.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: new look January 30, 2012 01:51PM
This is unzoomed on my Galexy Nexus. Like Chuck said, works good zoomed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 03:59AM by Dick Morgan.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009