Replacing straight shaft with TA January 26, 2012 08:08AM
I am currently in process of installing an 8 disk ta in my transmission. There was a straight shaft. I got a steel quill housing and quill shaft also. I am just wondering if there is any surprises I may find. Is there any special tools or adjustments I will need to check during rebuild? Also is there suppose to be a snap ring on quill shaft to hold my constant mesh gear in place on quill shaft. There looks to be a groove for one but I do not have one. I do have the MC valve and pipes for that also. They was not ever removed. Any info will help me greatly in this learning process. Thanks.

Re: Replacing straight shaft with TA January 26, 2012 10:11AM
Lots of Keystone required.

Re: Replacing straight shaft with TA January 26, 2012 10:38AM
Well thats required with everything

Re: Replacing straight shaft with TA January 26, 2012 11:52AM
Keystone's nasty.

Re: Replacing straight shaft with TA January 26, 2012 01:25PM
keep in mind your working on a TA, a few keystones can't hurt

Re: Replacing straight shaft with TA January 26, 2012 02:11PM
Okay okay Keysone is covered now. Fridge is fully stocked. Now any good info that can help me please?

Re: Replacing straight shaft with TA January 26, 2012 04:15PM
When you install the TA with that many discs It helps to shove the quill and CM gears up into the clutches first and then lower the assembly into the transmission.. I hold the quill in place with a long bolt and a large washer and wingnut. Make sure to check for endplay and shim accordingly..

Re: Replacing straight shaft with TA January 26, 2012 06:46PM
If it is an 8 disk from Allied the disks are already lined up on an internal hub, you can't actually see the individual disks like on previous 5 or 4 disk units. You do have to line up the oil holes on this new type of hub with the holes that are on the quill shaft (should be an instuction sheet in the box which shows this). So line up the holes and slide your assembled quill into it, then I use a bolt I believe 5/16x2 1/2 with a couple washers up to a 5/8 flat washer, to hold the quill assembly to the ta to drop it all in the trans housing like gonzo said. The ta endplay should be shimmed to .010 to .015 or so, remember to loosen the bolt holding the quill otherwise you won't get any endplay, I set the dial indicator on a heavy piece of bar stock across the bellhousing. As for the quill housing, yes there is supposed to be a snap ring inside for the cm gear.

Re: Replacing straight shaft with TA January 27, 2012 02:02PM
You boys are thinking small time, the keystone is just to keep you lit, while the pills and coke do the real work of making the job go smoother. I always find a little crush and snort to help with any job. But man, try and keep someone around to drive if @#$%& get's bad. I nearly lost my damn hand after I run a grinder through my wrist. You wouldn't believe how funny that @#$%& is, when you're really tweaking. You gotta keep at least one sober person around to know when it's time to go to the hospital. WOOOOO!!

Re: Replacing straight shaft with TA January 29, 2012 03:03AM
Really????? You don't get out much if you think that is funny.

Re: Replacing straight shaft with TA January 29, 2012 05:32AM
Yep, not funny a'tall.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,766, Posts: 229,932, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM