Limiting the final drive ratio to limit cost February 05, 2012 01:37PM
It would be alot cheaper if they limited the final drive of the tractors instead of limiting the HP's. Then it would not be how much power you can get. It would be who can get the power to work with the gear. I think it would be somthing to look in to anyway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 02:51AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Limiting the final drive ratio to limit cost February 05, 2012 01:48PM
how do you propose to police and verify the final drive ratio? sounds unpractical to me.

Re: Limiting the final drive ratio to limit cost February 05, 2012 02:08PM
Jack 1 tire in the air and slip there slip cover back to watch there drive line and turn the tire. Take's about 5 min's. You could just check the top 2 or 3 some would be harder to check but they could put an inspection hole in to see. There's been alot a talk about trying this from some big named guy's it's just an idea.

Re: Limiting the final drive ratio to limit cost February 05, 2012 02:41PM
NASCAR and NHRA have final drive limits. But that is racin` not pullin`......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 02:52AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Limiting the final drive ratio to limit cost February 05, 2012 04:33PM
NASCAR regulates (with an iron hand) every part, nut, bolt and screw. The cost of running a team is still somewhere out in space. Limits are necessary but will never suit everyone. Open or unlimited classes will always draw the most attention from the fans. Limited classes level the playing field and hopefully lower the costs for those wanting to compete. I enjoy all levels, but that's just me!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 02:52AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Limiting the final drive ratio to limit cost February 06, 2012 09:55AM
I remember banter's trying to get this final drive limit in the rule's year's ago before the cost got to far out of hand. You can see what happen. This would be a great rule to try in one of the state classes to see how it fair's out.

Re: Limiting the final drive ratio to limit cost February 06, 2012 12:44PM
It would never work. People would just build engines to turn more rpm in order to get the wheel speed back up. It would be like nascar restrictor motors where they actualy turn the engines faster so even restricted they can make similar power to what they normaly do unrestrcted. Running9000-10000 for 500miles is pretty tough on parts and costs a lot more than making the same power at 7500-8500.

Re: Limiting the final drive ratio to limit cost February 06, 2012 03:50PM
and if it is I'll quit.

Re: Limiting the final drive ratio to limit cost February 06, 2012 11:47PM
Both wheels have to be turned togather to check Ro. One wheel off the ground will turn drive line faster. MACK

Re: Limiting the final drive ratio to limit cost February 07, 2012 01:01AM
Mack I think you are backwards on that. If the engine were driving the wheel with one off the ground you would be right, but If you turn the wheel you would have to spin it around twice to get the final ratio. At least thats the way we always figured it.

Re: Limiting the final drive ratio to limit cost February 07, 2012 01:31AM
Final Drive Limit + RPM Limit = Speed Limit. NO THANKS!

Re: Limiting the final drive ratio to limit cost February 07, 2012 04:06AM
My take on these rules to keep cost down is if you can't afford to move up to another class you shouldn't move up. Tractor pulling never has been or ever will be an inexpensive sport.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009