Drawing in fans January 12, 2009 10:39PM
I want to tell a little story that happened at Murfreesboro, my son went with me to the Pull. He had came down with Mom and Dad on Friday night last year. This year he was with me for both nights, I had him taking pictures for me. He came back into the arena excited he had gotten his picture taken beside a tractor. I asked which one, he showed me the picture. It was of The Fast and the Furious. I asked who took it, he said, "I guess the man who owns it. And yes it was Don Slama, I went and thanked Don, for being curtious. Pulling has a fan for life now, I never thought I would see my son as excited as he was over that. And when I got home I find another picture of him with another tractor. It is Marty Chandler's tractor. Marty I want to Thank you to.

As pullers we all need to be this interested in the younger fans, my son has grown up around Tractor Pulling but this is something he will never forget. And has made him a fan for life.

By the way Don if you read this I need your E-Mail adress and I will send you a copy of the Picture you wanted.

And also this situation has made me a new friend in the Pulling World in Don Slama, Thanks again.

Eric Prewitt
The Prewitt Pulling Team
Public Relations for
The Pulling Radio Network

Re: Drawing in fans January 13, 2009 02:42AM
Eric,

My e-mail address is either sallyslama@yahoo.com or cjackson329@yahoo.com.

Thanks!
Don

Re: Drawing in fans January 13, 2009 04:04AM
Great story! we must never forget that we are in show business and every body that comes to our events should be given all the attention you can afford them, more reason why the pits should be open to every one, I have had numerous times when a fan will approach with questions or maybe a personal story to share! always enjoyed the smiles as they walk away especially the kids whom i'm sure will have a cool story to tell their buddies!keep up the good work!

Re: Drawing in fans January 13, 2009 05:59AM
Eric, You are exactly right. Last year we were at a mid-south hook (one of the few I got to go to) and I noticed a puller return to his hauler after run. His tractor broke and he was P.O.'ed and for good reason. But when he jumped off the tractor throwing his helmet down and cursing, he didn't see the little guy standing at his trailer with one of his pics wanting him to sign it. The little guy dropped his head and started crying. My girlfriend picked up the little guy and carried him over to trailer. I was once that little kid too and god knows how many pictures I have picked up at Chapel Hill over the years. I know it costs a little to buy the hero cards but to see the look on a childs face when they pick one up is Priceless! But you are right, it only takes a second to make a child's day...........

Re: Drawing in fans January 13, 2009 08:47AM
Last year at Tomah I brought my son with me. He has been to pulls in the past but nothing this big. Johnny Evans and Tim Howell were so great with him it was unreal. Johnny let him climb aboard the Turbulant Toy and the smile on his face was amazing. Also Scott Tedder let us huddle under his tent in the rain after session 5 and let my little guy climb aboard Mr. Twister and we have a great pic of that. It is people like Scott, Johnny and Tim that make pulling events great and to you guys if you read this THANK YOU VERY MUCH IT WAS THE HIGHLIGHT OF HIS WEEKEND.

Re: Drawing in fans January 13, 2009 10:36AM
Several years ago me and my 5 year old son went to Tim Englers shop to pick up some part, and Tim took my son a gave him a personal tour of the tractors and cars in his shop. Tim also gave my son an autographed picture of Tim's misson impossible. Years later my son still talks about the visit to Englers shop. Thanks you Tim Engler!

Re: Drawing in fans January 13, 2009 12:53PM
Eric,
You and your son are welcome. I didnt know who the young man was but when i saw him taking a pic of my tractor i asked if he would like for me to take one with him on it. It was like he was in shock and i could see it by the way his eyes lit up. Glad to hear that i was able to help make last weekend fun for him.
Marty Chandler

Re: Drawing in fans January 13, 2009 03:29PM
Thanks for sharing your stories. I'm sure there are thousands of stories similar to each of these. Thank you to all the pullers who take the time to interact with the fans both young and old. It may not seem like much at the time, but I'm sure you've made a lasting impression for a number of people.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009