IH Lower Lift Arm Pin Removal - Help! February 18, 2012 08:47AM
I'm trying to take off my 3-point arms on my 1066, and I'm finding that getting the front pins out of the lower arms is not a 5 minute job. I've heard the usual heat, beat, repeat approach, but it seems that the real key is getting some leverage to pull or twist them out after heating. I tried drilling out and tapping the grease fitting hole to thread in a rod to use with a slide hammer, but the pins appear to be through-hardened and drilling was tough. Tried slipping my sawzall down in between and sawing through the pins, but again, difficult with hard material. Thought about trying to weld a large nut or something else on the end of the pins to get on with a big wrench, but I can't move the tractor right now and my welder cord doesn't reach.

Any tried and true methods that people know of that I haven't already thought of? Thanks.

Re: IH Lower Lift Arm Pin Removal - Help! February 18, 2012 09:48AM
What I finally did on mine was to heat and air cool the pins three or four times until they became soft enough to drill and tap the zerk hole 1/2"x13. Screw a piece of 1/2"x13 threaded rod into the pin, put a 3" or 4" long 1 1/4" pipe spacer over the threaded rod, then washers and a nut. Heat the yoke while tightening the nut, pulling the pin. It is advisable to get the yoke hot and the pin out as quickly as possible to minimize heat soak into the torsion bar, which could fry the seals and cause an oil leak, or make the threaded rod soft and cause it to pull in half. Then you get to redrill and retap the hole before you can make another attempt. Voice of experience there. Make your new pins out of cold rolled stock with the 1/2x13 threaded hole as an installed feature to save yourself some trouble next time.

Re: IH Lower Lift Arm Pin Removal - Help! February 18, 2012 09:48AM
best move either the tractor or welder and weld something on that you can get a good hold of! but then i have never worked much on ih so am sure others will offer something better!

Re: IH Lower Lift Arm Pin Removal - Help! February 19, 2012 01:43AM
The best way i have found, use a 5 inch 3/8 arbor cut off wheel, cut the pin on both sides of the arm and then pull the arm out of the way. the outside can be knocked out with an air hammer, the inside can then be heated and removed with a pipe wrench. Have done several this way and works good.

Success February 19, 2012 11:14AM
I tried the suggestion to anneal the pins, then drill and tap. After heating and cooling a few times with the torch, the drilling and tapping went fairly easily. Then I used some big 1" washers as spacers over the pins, then ran in a 1/2"-13 grade 8 bolt with a nut and a 1/2" washer up against the big spacer washers. From there I literally just cranked the pins out with the nut. No additional heat needed. I was pretty ecstatic. Since I only had a handful of spacer washers, once those bottomed out, I took the bolt out and used a piece of threaded rod on my slide hammer handle to tap them out the rest of the way. Pretty painless.

Thanks to those who replied with advice. Hopefully this post will help someone else in the future.

Re: Success February 19, 2012 01:03PM
the fastest and easiest way is to weld a big nut on the end and spin it out with
a big impact wrench. SIMPLE!

Re: Success July 22, 2018 02:18AM
Remove Wheel - Drill and Tap pin to 3/8" x (13 - Install dent puller - Remove pin. Replace with new.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Website Statistics
Global: Topics: 38,698, Posts: 229,797, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member CBeard