other farm show news February 19, 2012 02:48PM
besides insanity selling did anybody hear any other big news at the farm show?? any cheating this year?? what rumor did you hear???

Re: other farm show news February 19, 2012 03:15PM
Maybe you heard these too, but some big news-

-Brian Schramek confirmed the rumor that he was building another Orange DSS, and that it would have new style sheetmetal on it. Geen Pro is for sale.

-Sullivan's are selling the memorial truck and are building a modified.

-Larry Shope's Pro Stock is for sale and he plans on retiring.

-Another confirmed rumor... Gettingers Alky Super is indeed bada$$! They made two perfect passes Saturday night to win it.

Re: other farm show news February 19, 2012 03:36PM
Sad to here that Larry is retiring. He's been strong for a long time. I will miss the Iron Dragon.

Re: other farm show news February 19, 2012 11:29PM
Longs are building a mod also.
Heard that there was a problem with the hitches on the european tractors.

Re: other farm show news February 20, 2012 01:24PM
Mod Fan
Longs are building a mod also.
Heard that there was a problem with the hitches on the european tractors.

what was the problem with the hitches

Re: other farm show news February 20, 2012 08:09PM
From what I read at some places the hole was to small for the chain. They had to make the hole bigger.

Re: other farm show news February 21, 2012 04:35AM
Yes, I did hear that the hole was too small for our hooks here in the US. I also heard a rumor that there was an issue with drawbar length as well. From what I've been told their drawbar was only 17" long, which does not meet the 18" minimum here in the US. Again, this was an unconfirmed rumor.

I also heard the rumor that the committee was aware of the drawbar issue, but decided to let the European tractor compete as is. An additional rumor was that Jeff Hirt did not agree with the committees' decision and he verbalized his displeasure and the committee asked him to leave.

Again, these are all rumors and murmurings that I heard, and I don't have confirmation or facts from any parties.

If I hear any facts or recieve confirmation I'll post it here, until then lets keep the speculation to ourselves.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: other farm show news February 21, 2012 04:49AM
Well if in fact the hitches were illegal they should have been fixed. There is no reason to get mad at a competitor within the rules for speaking up about the infraction. Typical farm show decision, we want him to run whether or not he is legal. I will continue watch this issue because it raises some suspicions as to the credibility of the officials to safely tech a vehicle when the rules are up for negotiation. There has been issues in the past few years regarding fuel samples, traction control, etc. that the committee made damn sure were removed or DQ'ed the driver for breaking the rule. This is a situation the farm show needs to watch carefully or they may end up with a lawsuit soon. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the farm committee needs set rules! No exceptions. To me it is illegal to let a tractor run for money with set rules against others who dont have to follow the rules. This is my opinion as a puller looking in from a distance and not just a fan or disgruntled puller from the farm show. If you don't agree with my comments let me know what your take is on this issue!

Re: other farm show news February 21, 2012 06:36AM
Rules are rules the hitch could have been fixed,it was not a correct decision,Jeff Hurt had every right to have a say.

Re: other farm show news February 21, 2012 06:48AM
If you're even going to consider speculating then you are going to put your name and contact info on your post. At least be man (or woman) enough to not hide. Until then, stop speculating. We have no confirmation if the rumors have any truth to them.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: other farm show news February 21, 2012 08:14AM
You brought up the rumor so Quit Speculating yourself. I gave my thoughts, but in the end YOU started the rumor. Lets not get carried away.

Re: other farm show news February 21, 2012 08:37AM
First, I didn't speculate, I simply stated the rumor I heard. Please direct me to where I posted my opinion either way.
Second, I posted my name, and all my contact info is readily available.
Third, I didn't start the rumor, I heard it in different forms from numerous sources and reported on it (and made sure to let everyone know that it was simply a rumor).
Fourth, It's going to show up on the internet sooner or later and it's best to get out in front of it and control it rather than let people speculate and let the rumors grow.

The speculation of IF the rules were bent is a waste of time until anyone has any facts. I won't stand for anyone anonymously disparaging the Hirt family or the Farm Show committee.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: other farm show news February 21, 2012 10:56AM
Jake I agree, I was wrong to speculate. I am also sure details about this rumor will emerge, I just hope there was no rule violations this year. This could all be nothing, just went on a rant I guess, lol. Thanks for the great site.

Re: other farm show news February 21, 2012 06:46PM
What's the actual drawbar length in the US?
Time for some serious talks between ETPC and NTPA regarding "uniform rules" and work through all this.
Since every country but the US is metric, the rules were "rewritten to metric" and in most cases the numbers were "rounded" as you can't really buy a 1/8" bolt here - unless specially ordered.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2012 07:10PM by Sascha.

Re: other farm show news February 21, 2012 09:22PM
Just got the numbers... 45 cm vs 18 inch
The ETPC hitch is 7.2 mm or 0.28 inch shorter
Question now would be, since the tractor, except the engine was build in the the US, what length the hitch in the New Born Deere actually was.
How much it matters... humm... ask your wife.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: other farm show news February 22, 2012 05:47AM
Is it really that big of a deal for one event to let someone run with a drawbar that is 5% out of spec, after they've travelled halfway around the world to put on a show for you? What's the worst that happens, they beat you and you have an excuse to cover the bruise on your ego. As long as they agree to have it changed for the next time they make the trip over here, I don't see a problem. Causing a big hullabaloo makes me feel like we have some poor sports here in the U.S.

Re: other farm show news February 22, 2012 06:35AM
I am not on any side of this, because it would be a TOUGH call to make. But on the flip side to your question (Is it really that big of a deal for one event to let someone run with a drawbar that is 5% out of spec, after they've travelled halfway around the world to put on a show for you?) , you really could say the same thing.

Before you travel all the way across the pond, is it really that hard to get NFMS list of what will be teched when they get there and triple check your tractor before it leaves????

I am glad they ran because I was a paying spectator and both added to the show.

I wonder if a solution for the committee would have been to have them pull 100 light to offset the drawbar??? Since this is really an unorthodox situation where 2 competitors traveled across the ocean to compete and knowingly doing everything to be 100% legal.

Tough call though.

Re: other farm show news February 22, 2012 08:37AM
Not sure how it was this time, but I remember, when we pulled in the US, since we couldn't be aware of the little differences. sending our rules over to the US let them check through them and ask "Are we ok to run if we are teched by or association with up to date clutch inspection, etc" and when the reply was positive we didn't even bother about wondering about the legality of any part of the tractor. In the end you don't make such a trip for the money (the boat wouldn't even leave the north sea on price money) but for the experience and to get some international recognition into this sport. Europe and the US combined are probably the biggest market one can ask for and if we want to get the manufacturers "on board", one way would be to show them Tractor Pulling is not a backwoods hick sport, but actually has quite a respectable following in the international farming community (= THEIR customers).
We need to get UNIFORM rules worked out and work towards international competition TOGETHER - and not start a war on 5%. Just make sure next time this is fixed (and I am sure, now people are aware of this it won't happen again) before the hook drops. Stupid stuff like a hitch can be fixed in a day...

Re: other farm show news February 22, 2012 06:13PM
18" hitches over here have standard for 35 years. I find it hard to believe those guys wouldn't know the most basic rule in just about every pulling org., even antique pulling, in the USA. Sorry boys, the guys were trying to stretch the rules and got caught. End of story.

Re: other farm show news February 22, 2012 08:00PM
Question would be, by how much it was too short. If we are talking the 5% that are in the conversion than "trying to stretch" the rules would involve some action (and this would be a typical case of no action in time by neither side). If it was more and also illegal by the ETPC rules, then somebody should have a problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 08:01PM by Sascha.

Re: other farm show news February 23, 2012 02:33AM
I thought that chasis was built in the good old U.S.A. Why would the hitch be shorter than when it left? Or where is the old hitch, they could just slip it back in or go get one from Engler.

Re: other farm show news February 23, 2012 03:23AM
Since these tractors will be at the event in Kansas City, I wonder if they'll have their hitches fixed for that event?

Re: other farm show news February 23, 2012 06:14AM
Get serious
18" hitches over here have standard for 35 years. I find it hard to believe those guys wouldn't know the most basic rule in just about every pulling org., even antique pulling, in the USA. Sorry boys, the guys were trying to stretch the rules and got caught. End of story.

why would they? Do you know the rules they've had in place for 35 years? when you built your tractor did you think " I should set this up so i can legally pull at ahoy someday?

You guys are complaining over a 1/4" short drawbar at an invitational event in which these two tractors came to help put on a show? And they are silly enough to invite a 10 pro over to run against their 510 inch motors......

gosh who needs to "get serious"

Re: other farm show news February 23, 2012 07:39AM
It's AAAAAAAAMAZING what some guys will cry about (aboot for you wisconsinners). They'll cry about a hitch being a 1/4" too long, but yet, they think nothing of it if THEIR hitch is an inch too high.

Re: other farm show news February 22, 2012 07:42AM
If it was only the hitch why not just swap it out with someone else ? It really would not have been that difficult. Rules are rules if you let one guy have a little the next guy will expect the same and once the ball starts rolling it just goes.

Re: other farm show news February 24, 2012 06:19AM
I am not an engineer but what I think is; a drawbar height can make some giant differences in tractor pulling. An over length drawbar could make some difference. But a short drawbar it seems to me would hurt your chances of making your best pull! (Just saying?)

Re: other farm show news February 24, 2012 07:08AM
One advantage to the short drawbar is as your front comes up you lose less hitch height compared to a longer drawbar. The shorter the drawbar, the less hitch height you lose, the less height you lose the more you keep the downward pull of the chain and it effectively acts as a taller hitch (compared to a longer drawbar given the same front end lift). Hope I didn't write that so it's too confusing.

The rules have a minimum because the shorter you go the greater the advantage. If the chain was horizontal to the ground the length would be insignificant, but since it's hooked low on the pan and comes up at an angle it's a different story.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: other farm show news February 24, 2012 07:17AM
I think you got the basic concept, Jake. The theory I subscribe to is that the shorter drawbar pulls down better. What I mean by that is that the shorter drawbar pulls more on the axle, which puts the power to the ground better because the sled is working more on the axle instead of trying to lift the front end. It takes more force to lift the front since the shorter drawbar doesn't provide as much leverage.

Re: other farm show news February 20, 2012 12:09AM
Very, very sad to hear that Larry is retiring the Iron Dragon. One of the best pro stocks out there.

Re: other farm show news February 20, 2012 12:52PM
I am real sorry to hear bout larry retiring. Have a tatoo of his tractor on my right arm. He is the real king of the pro's

Re: other farm show news February 21, 2012 10:06AM
Gaeton Yelle bought Larry Phillips' Extremely Insane. Very excited to see this tractor in NY. Hopefully he will have better luck with it than the Stray Horse.

Re: other farm show news February 21, 2012 10:22AM
wonder what kind of money he is asking for that tractor?

Re: other farm show news February 21, 2012 12:25PM
does anyone know how much larry might be asking for the "IRON DRAGON".

Re: other farm show news February 21, 2012 01:41PM
I never heard how much he was asking. It may surprise you since it is still an ag chassis. Would make a great light pro!

Re: other farm show news February 21, 2012 02:03PM
IT will be a sad day to not see shope pull the iron dragon i can remember it in the early 1980"s at local pulls on a truck with ed ilinfelds 4430 sad to see those ag tractors gone

Re: other farm show news February 21, 2012 03:29PM
Any one hear where Sullivans truck is going.. and Yes i know they are building a 3 engine Mod.. Old KV Chassis waiting on a Massy Harris Hood..

Re: other farm show news February 22, 2012 01:38AM
Rick Austin (Dirt Flirt) bought the Chevy Colorado from the Sullivan's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 01:38AM by Milesbeyond300.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009