New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 22, 2012 04:43AM
Poll
381 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Does the Farm Show Pull need a freshening?

I've posted a new opinion article on the farm show. I started writing a similar article last year, but after numerous conversations this year it really solidified some of my ideas.

The article isn't a review of this years' show, but rather a question of whether the overall show should be reviewed and possibly revamped. It's the first article in a multi-part series and I'll get to more specifics regarding classes etc… soon.

Please also take a second to submit your vote in my unscientific poll. I hope you enjoy the article and I'd love to hear your comments.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 06:01AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS February 22, 2012 05:05AM
Jake-

I appreciate your take on the NFMS and look forward to reading some of your thoughts! I agree with you that the NFMS could make some very subtle changes that would make a difference in the total outcome of the show. As you and I have talked about before, it is in my opinion the grand daddy of them all and I love the idea of one day being a part of the announcing crew at the Farm Show. I will be posting my opinion to the blog in the next day or so as well and I look forward to seeing if our suggestions may be similar.
Miles

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS February 22, 2012 05:05AM
Just read the article and couldn't agree more. One thing that needs changed at NFMS in my opinion is that they should give each class 2 hooks like BG does. It's not really fair to the fans or pullers to give one class 3 preliminary hooks and the finals while another class gets only 1 hook. Not sounding like a know it all, but to me it doesn't seem very fair. Also, in the article you mentioned about the need for more variety, the NFMS committee should definitely consider a Light or Limited Pro Stock class. The fans would definitely enjoy the class as you would have a good variety of different brands (IH, John Deere, CaseIH, Case, Ford, New Holland, Allis Chalmers,etc.)

Again, great article and it was definitely right on the money.

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS February 23, 2012 02:56PM
Should add smoke pipes for modifieds and 2wd, fumes were terrable, many many people went to outer halls during those classes. Ticket prices are too high also.

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS February 23, 2012 03:36PM
@ burning eyes: smoke tube multiplied by alcohol fumes equals GREAT BIG BOOM. That raw fuel mixed with air in the tube would be a bad deal if a spark made its way in.

I do agree about the fume level at times. I was on the second level shooting photos at one point and had to get out of there; first time Ive had to do it without being on the upper level. I call it an abnormality especially for the mods, they have not been like that in my memory. The fumes have been there of course, but not to that level.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS February 24, 2012 02:09AM
Look at the amount of power a supercharged engine makes today compared not even very many years ago. New technology in injection and superchargers, I feel, has been immense. So the after effects will be, too. There are times in the outdoor events, I even get those odors by being downwind.

What Jake is expressing himself and relaying for others, I feel, can be said for any given pull. Choose which ever one you want. What is really so different about this year's versus last year's? Versus a few years ago - that only a few vehicles have gone by the wayside and a few new ones, or at least owners of those previous vehicles, are now part of the program.

What keeps us all going back is it's a new year. A certain number of pulling vehicles will have had upgrades, be it cosmetically and/or performance, perhaps even an all brand new one. We want to see them. We want to be part of the excitement of raw horsepower, see our pulling friends and have a good time by making memories we can cherish for hopefully a long time.

Louisville, well, I only make it down once every few years. Various reasons why. Actually would like to be there every year. But the fumes are a concern, that can flair up my allergies, although where 'they' put us to photograph, is probably about the best place to minimize the fumes we ingest.
It has been talked about for years that Broadbent should / is to be replaced with a new facility. May I suggest a possible design. Let's base it in concept like a drive through the center dairy free stall barn. For those of you not familiar, this means the feed truck fills the feed bunks the length of the building in the middle, under the roof's peak. The cows have their comfort stalls on either side of the feed alley.

So let's build a new pulling stadium in Louisville or wherever. Comfortable spectator seating on each side. A track, in the center, 300' long would be ideal by a proper legal width for insurance purposes, too. A big overhead walk alley at each end for spectators to cross from one side to the other. Some sort of transparent glass separates the crowd from the pulling track. The track area roof sections could open up via compressed air cylinders and be aided by exhaust fans to help push the smoke and smog upward. Hopefully no smoke tube to deal with anymore. Thus no fumes aggravate the spectators and hopefully have little effect upon the puller of the moment. Hopefully the facility can accomodate numerous other activities throughout the year.

There are three areas that speed up any given pull, timewise. Some pulls have this down pat already, some are pretty good but could improve and unfortunately there are still some that literally haven't even entertained such thoughts yet.
1) Have enough tow tractors and operators that know what they're doing. Pullers, then make certain you thank these volunteers, especially if he or she has done a good job for you.
2)The Line Up Person is such a key position. Get the next puller's engine started in time and very near to the sled so that minimal time is expended to get hooked to the sled. I realize, the higher the horsepower the engine, let alone multiple engines, is not as conducive to this suggestion. It's always interesting to study the times posted on the NTPA results sheets that "pulltracker" does termed "# Seconds / Green Flag".
3) Track maintenace crew. One crew with only a blade of some type and a roller just does not cut it for expediancy. They are many facilities that know how to do it quickly and proficiently with two crews. But there are a lot of places that are in between.
It still amazes me how many promoters or pull committees do not attend any other pull(s) to see how 'they' do it and hopefully learn something in the process.
Jake had to defend himself recently about "favortism" when photographing. We all have a job to do. Even though I / we may have a certain class or color of brand that is a personal favorite, it does not interfere with providing coverage to be fair to everyone. Also remember, when 'shooting' at a double track and being on the side, rather than in the middle, that track maintenance equipment is always there to contend with to obtain proper photos
of the vehicle on the far track. There are times I come up with no photo, despite playing the mind game of when will the puller leave the line, where will each of the 2 or 3 maintainence vehicles be on the track. I may move to a different location trying to pysch out these factors, but, that's no guarantee that I will drive a proper photo. You may have intrepreted it to be favortism as you view my website, but, I wanted you to realize another dimension of obtaining hopefully another high quality action photo that will look great for PR purposes.
After all, that's what we are all there for, to further publicize the sport we love!

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 22, 2012 06:26AM
i agre that the show needs some facelift. i would like to see the lite supers get 2 hooks and maybe bring in the 4.1 or the lite pro stock class. the diesel fwd was better than last year, but last year was sooooo bad that it would be hard not to look better than that. so maybe the diesel fwd still wasn't so good, the crowd was bored when they where pulling and got really excited when the lite supers came out,,,,also spend some money on a new better smoke tube, thats things a trainwreck waitint to happen

Change on the Fair Board? February 22, 2012 08:22AM
Just posted on the blog with a link to an article that I read from the Courier Journal in Louisville. There is some big discussion going on in the city about the future of Fair Board President Harold Workman. Harold has been around the pulling community for years with the NFMS! Miles Beyond 300

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 22, 2012 08:43AM
I too am a HUGE FAN of the sport and drove 3 1/2 hours to see all of Saturdays pulls. I have not been for 3 years and agree the NFMS pull has not changed much. Funny you walk around at the show and see everything clean and modern looking, then you go inside the hall and looks like 1975. Will I not go again...no but sure would be nice to see something new or different next time. Funny.....Bowling Green has not changed much over the years, but I still go for all three days!
I think the sport really needs to branch out more with TV, better pulls and draw more people to them. I will say to people..Going to Bowling Green next week can't wait! They will say...why?? I really think more people would pay to see pulls, local, county fairs, Bowling Green or NFMS if it was more known in the public more would come. These pullers have alot of money in their trucks and tractors, $250,000 plus or minus and I think they deserve the best and biggest crowd ever!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 08:52AM by Huge Fan.

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 22, 2012 09:25AM
Jake I completely agree, only thing I was one of those that had decided not to go to pulls, but Jake you told me tickets for the finals were still available at the window, I had to go get a couple, just to say I did. Glad I did the finals were very good and exciting, with the over 50 crew in the 2-wheeler class, and the Open SS with the JD from the Netherlands. But my opinion of the pull has not changed. Yes it is the best of the best, but I feel it needs a facelift and yes possibly a reduction in price.

Eric Prewitt
The Prewitt Pulling Team
Public Relations for
The Pulling Radio Network

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 22, 2012 10:16AM
First thing that needs to be changed is the ticket price. I think maybe they have realized that they've hit the ceiling with their price and that is why it is going to be the same next year. On a related note, something needs to be done about the scalpers in Broadbent. I'm not talking about the guys that sell the tickets for face-value. I'm talking about the ones that couldn't care less about a tractor pull, and probably don't even know what happens at one, who try to sell them for THIRTY dollars above face-value. You want to know why there are empty seats in the Hall? It's because of these people. What was the response from the trailer in Broadbent: Talk to security. Okay, where? They're never around until they try to run your ass out.

The Pro Stock class has become the "pizza" of my pulling world--the "Christmas" class as some would call it, but there's a reason I keep going to tractor pulls: Lightweight Super Stock. Saturday afternoon is always my top priority session when I'm going to the NFMS for the reason of the LWSS being there. When is the last time that you have seen a D-21 place in the top 5 in the Pro Stock class? Better question: When is the last time that you have ever seen a D-21 in a Pro Stock line-up? Diversity is what makes the LWSS class exciting for me because I know that occasionally a Ford/NH or an Allis can find the corn (at least) once. As far as Wilhite being the only blue, I wish that someone could talk Lynn and Peissig into coming back.

Now here is something that irks me--the diesel 4x4's. Getting rid of the diesels from the LWSS class to save some wear and tear on the smoke tube, and what's the next move? Getting rid of the Modified 4x4's in favor of diesel. I understand this is a move to try to get more butts in seats but it is a logical fallacy. Also, it seemed as if this class drags more than the other 4x4 class used to. Just not much excitement from this class, from my point of view.

(Too Long, Didn't Read version)
Things that need to be worked on:
1. Ticket Prices
2. Diversity in brands
3. Diesel 4x4 class

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 22, 2012 10:47AM
I know its a "farm show", but the ticket prices stink, the show is very heavy on smoke you cant see classes. I would like a extra mod class, take the top 3-4 whatever to sat nite. I Also know minirods will never be there again (too wild). I wont say which class, or classes to drop, But the truck classes don`t seam do well there. So I would avocate 2 lite super classes and 2 mod classes. and have sat nite finals for the lite supers as well. wishfull thinking of course.

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 22, 2012 10:57AM
Perry,

We're just lucky that they brought back the Lightweight Super Stocks, much less trying to get the committee to have a Finals for them on Saturday night. It would be nice though.

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 22, 2012 11:04AM
I know. I know.......

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 23, 2012 06:02AM
Were you there on Wednesday night? It's time for the smoke tube on the mods - that was ridiculous. WAY more smoke in the air from mods I've ever seen in many years from PS / SS / SF.

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 22, 2012 01:28PM
The Allis Challenger D-21 was in the finals in the mid 1990's. The last AC or Agco in the prostock class was Hurricane Allis last year.

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 22, 2012 12:40PM
Well written article Jake.

Changes that would improve the show for the fans:
1. Consider lowering ticket prices or maybe make Saturday "family day".
2. Another qualifier for LSS and LSS in the finals
3. 1 less session each of: Super Farm, Pro Stock, and Diesel 4x4
4. Add a session of Light Pro Stock
5. New smoke tube
6. Run the USS last in Sat finals

Changes that would improve the show for the pullers:
1. More consistant track / better dirt
2. More consistent track prep

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 22, 2012 12:57PM
So far I agree with most of the comments about the classes, but I'll have more on that after another article or two.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 22, 2012 01:57PM
What I think should be done is a rotation of classes from year to year. Year 1 Naturally aspirated 4wd, year 2 blown 4wd, year 3 diesel 4wd. Maybe even rotate between SF and limited pros from year to year.

I was telling our group that I could watch a class of light supers every night. BTW I was the one that had printed the "bring back light supers" sign a few years back that was hung in freedom hall. I really feel the LLS would be a good fit to bring color and also prove the dsl and alkys can play together in this class.

I do feel the committee put a great effort to mix up the classes to try and bring some different iron into Saturday night. It has been 2009 since I was there, not sure if I will go next year.

Scott

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 22, 2012 11:26PM
I'm looking at the voting and wondering, are some people voting for the "The NFMS Pull is in need of a substantial facelift" choice just hoping that something / anything happens? Talked to a couple people that really love the overall show, they also believe that it needs some amount of overhaul. I don't believe that just bringing in new tractors in the existing classes is enough. Just trading one red or green tractor for another within the current format is not really a change. Different classes are a change.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 23, 2012 12:06AM
how about seperating the smoke and the noise ?

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 23, 2012 01:42AM
Wouldn't mind seeing the Light Supers in the Evening pull. Maybe move Hot Farm to afternoon.

[youtu.be]

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 23, 2012 01:55AM
Two things I noticed that I would change.
1. $35 a ticket I can see three county pulls for that price and see two more classes and see a 300ft pull.
I understand that its indoors and all the other stuff and its NTPA, but I was just pointing out paying more money for less of a pull.
2. Ok so how long have they had the pull in louieville over 10years? This is about the smoke tube breaking friday night. You would think they would have to smoke tube length down. If the tractors now a days are plowing there fronts into the sand pit why wouldnt you just put the extention on to begin with?
These where just some things I noticed and was just wondering about?

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 23, 2012 09:24AM
I was there Thursday night, the pull was great but they need to do something about the alcohol fumes. The 2wd trucks then Supers right after made it almost unbearable in the upper sections. Toward the end of the supers I could hardly see across the arena.

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 23, 2012 10:43AM
Sheepboypuller316
Ok so how long have they had the pull in louieville over 10years?

This was the forty-fourth year of the tractor pull. Now just imagine what it was like when there wasn't a smoke tube....

-----

Here's something else to chew on though: before the Finals set-up, take a look at 1984--15 different classes. Compare that with the EIGHT that we have today. Sure, it was the same classes with additional weights (5 different Super Stock classes), but it's something to think about.

Source: NFMS history

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 23, 2012 11:38AM
I attended the "show" from the early ninetys until 2005 have not been back since then. I too felt the same way, cost way to much and seen the same thing year after year. I will admitt i thought about going back this yearand did find myself following facebook just to get an update on how the classes turned out. I do think the "show " needs a small mIake over one being make the light super class a finals class and let the diesels run with them. I would not add any new classes without getting rid of an exsiting class. Like it or not the LLsss and the limited pro class are not yet considered "national classes" until they are I would not bring them into the show. I do like the idea of swapping classes from one year to another. This would be an excellent way to allow other classes such as limited pro and llss a chance to compete at the farm show. This would also selll alot more tickets in my mind as fans would not get tired of the same old thing.

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 23, 2012 02:21PM
I am afraid less than half of the seats would be full at the noise session.

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 24, 2012 01:33AM
I don't really have any preference as far as mixing up the tractor classes, but they have to keep mods mixed in with tractors or seats will be empty even though I love both very much it doesn't matter to me. They could keep it all the same and id still go cause I Love tractor pulling.

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 24, 2012 05:22AM
I think the mix of classes is great and I think it's a necessity in that facility. I think if you had a noise only session we'd have some serious fumes to contend with. They do a great job alternating smoke and spark classes and it makes for much better air quality.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: New Opinion Article on the NFMS (and a quick Poll) February 24, 2012 01:51PM
The ticket prices have went up has the purse in ten years

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,737, Posts: 229,874, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,987.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM