value of cubic inches February 22, 2012 11:02PM
I am overhauling the 666, and have a 360 crank to go from 312 to 360. That was pretty reasonable, about 1200 for 48 cubic inches. I can get bigger pistons to get to 407, another 47 cubic inch boost, but that is gonna cost me another $2500, maybe more. Is it worth it? I'm staying naturally aspirated, and it will be a farm tractor that occasionally goes to the track. What HP can I get out of a 360? How much more from 407 cubes? Can I be competetive with 4020's running only 360? I have the money, but there are so many other things I could do with it, so I am just trying to find out if the extra money spent will gain me enough to justify spending it. Thanks!

Re: value of cubic inches February 23, 2012 04:42AM
Any rules sayin u can't put an n/a 414 in the tractor? Has the 312 been disassembled?

Re: value of cubic inches February 23, 2012 06:45AM
I need to keep the factory block, so a 414 is not an option. Don't see how it would be cheaper to buy another engine and overhaul it anyway.

Re: value of cubic inches February 23, 2012 07:53AM
Not sure why you are on here asking questions, soundd like already know everything. But really, when it comea to NA, more cubics inches are about the only way to gain much advantage. You can only put so much fuel in there without boost or you'll be melting something.

Re: value of cubic inches February 23, 2012 08:29AM
Actually it is almost impossible to melt pistons in a natural asperated engine by over fueling. With regular diesel (not hot stuff) when you go into excess fueling the combustion temperature goes down. Excess fuel will actually cool the combustion chamber enough that the engine will start puking unburnt fuel out the exhaust stack. This drool looks like tar, the other byproduct is cylinder washdown. This contaminates the crankcase oil. SO extra cubes is your best way to more power in a NA class. You will want to do a really good port and polish job on the head and IF $$ is available larger valves. The intake is most important as atmosphere is the only force acting on the charge air. You may even do a cylinder notch to unshroud the valves.. You also can help the engine to maximum efficency with a more agressive cam grind and more lift with rockers with more ratio.

Re: value of cubic inches February 23, 2012 10:40AM
thought 436 pistons and 360 crank would come out around 444 cube, would need to bore block or use thin sleeve
for broe and shave top of the pistons for correct piston height. just an idea.

News Flash February 23, 2012 10:58AM
You need to decide whether you are pulling or farming (right now). It is hard , if not impossible to do both and be competitive. I have a friend who says it not only takes cubic inches it takes "cubic dollars" to be competitive. You stated money is not a problem but not sure if you want to spend it on the puller. Either you are conservative or pulling really isn't that exciting to you. Any "big" hobbie is expensive. Cubic inches benefit any engine , and as stated , more so in a NA. It is your money only you can decide if it is worth it. Make friends , ask questions , and sometimes a few more horses can be had cheaply.

Re: Never enough February 23, 2012 11:42AM
It takes big cubes even to pull against a Jd4010 as it may very well be 200 cu. above stock. I know 466 isn't enough to out pull the old Case tractors. Without a turbo you need big cubes. If your brush pulling you may never know how many cubes the other puller has. I guess you know who you will be pulling with.

Re: Never enough February 23, 2012 11:53AM
I would just have a hard time talking myself into spending $3700 to gain 95 CID.

Re: Never enough February 23, 2012 11:58AM
The $$ issue is a crux problem of all pullers no matter how big or small. Seem if you dont spend the money on parts someone that pulls against you sure will and kick your A55. This sport is not inexpensive at almost any level. I would guess that you will have $5,000 to 7,000 in the engine if you want to go max cubes and hire the work done.

Hey 666- Call me February 23, 2012 12:12PM
I need a good 312 crankshaft if yours is reasonably priced, call me 608-317-7321

Re: Hey 666- Call me February 23, 2012 05:14PM
I think like you have been told the more cubes will be the way to go. Just have fun and each pull you will learn more and more. When I see the na classes the only ones that really dominate every time is a few pullers that are running old minie moes with 800 blocks

Re: Hey 666- Call me February 24, 2012 01:23AM
800 cubes is a SMALL engine for that class.

Re: Hey 666- Call me February 24, 2012 01:43AM
Does anyone know how Super Farm Finished?

Re: Hey 666- Call me February 24, 2012 04:41AM
I have no intention of competing with 800 cube Minnies! LOL Obviously more cubes is better, but will my head start to be a restriction, thus making 407 of little gain compared to 360? I know the guys running 407 out of a 312 or 360 spend big bucks on the head to make them flow, but they are pushing big hp and big rpm, as well. This would, of course, be the advantage to a 400 series engine, but that is not an option in this case.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,698, Posts: 229,797, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member CBeard