fuel prices February 29, 2012 01:18PM
Anyone think the high fuel prices will affect the sport of Tractor Pulling this Summer?

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 01:20PM
YES.

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 01:49PM
It hasn't affected the traffic on the highways... guess people havn't maxed out their credit cards yet, but have been saying that for going on 4 years now

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 02:12PM
election year fuel will get higher oboma the man will bring it back down temporarily to get your vote watch and se just like wrestling

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 02:28PM
Gas was up high before Obama was even elected. Save the BS for your buddies...

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 02:40PM
ahh john you should save it.

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 03:07PM
I think it hurts everyone when it cost so much to fill the tank. The people who want to go to the fairs and other events where the pulls are held are worried about filling the car to go to work every day they dont spend as much to go to the pulls and other fun family days. The president has said he thinks that gas needs to be 5 dollars a gallon to force people to conserve I think if he feels that way it should happen just for him. Hows all that hope and change crap working for all of ya

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 03:20PM
I personally think our current President is a joke! Lie lie lie that's all we get anymore. I don't care if I go broke I will attend all the Pulls this Summer that I normally attend! How's that Mr conservative President?!

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 03:26PM
High prices do nothing to make people conserve.. if ya wanna smoke you will figure out how to pay for higher tobacco, if you want to go somewhere you will figure out how to pay for higher gas... actually I am tired of helping to pay for everyones gas, no darn reason for diesel to be .75 to $1 a gallon higher than gas?!?!

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 03:36PM
The reason diesel is higher than gas is because it now has to be refined and procesed more than gas (the same reason it now has les power) thanks to the EPA for that just wait till one of them sees a diesel SS pull

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 03:43PM
people complained about high gas, the media jumped all over it, next thing you know gas goes down and diesel goes up, this was well before the "more refining" angle, I know, I buy close to $70,000 a year worth of it
Don't take much more effort to make it ULSD either... the oil company myth, it is still a by-product of making gas in the first place

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 03:32PM
I am going to go also. I just hope people see what a liar the president has proven himself to be. The news media wont tell you but look at all the stuff he said he was going to do and hasen't.

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 03:38PM
just wish we could finally get a president who has a clue, has worked a job, has ran their own business, has had to pay their own bills, can tell the truth...the list goes on and on, but the chances of that happening are slim to none, bout as close as getting a congress who has done the same
Do away with carrier politicians, make it like jury duty, when your name comes up, go do your job, then go home to the real world

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 04:23PM
If you do get a guy that does his job they want him recalled! Gov Walker has done everything he said he was going to do but the lefties (or anyone who has him sign their check) want him out. I have plenty of family that work state jobs and they cry the blues about what Walker has taken from them. All I say is you work for a "company" that is broke, be happy you still have a job. They could have left the benefits alone and cut a bunch of jobs but instead kept them working and now they have to pay more for health insurance and pension just like the rest of us. Just goes to show you can't please everyone.

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 03:46PM
The problem is not with the President of the United States of America. The problem is with the people of the United States of America!!!!!!! Because too many want a FREE hand out!!!!!

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 08:40PM
Don't worry Diesel is only spose to be $1.25 a quart by the beginning of pulling season, that may eventually seem cheap!
How's that Hope N Change workin out for ya?

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 10:26PM
This has ben the warmest winter in the country the oil company's have fuel comming out their Ass!! But prices keep going up WTF!!
I still say it's a way the government can take the money from the people and big company's in the 80 s and 90 s people could make a good living save money and alot of small business were making lots of money fast and some were millionaire s and that is what made the good jobs and the government had to slow us down and take our money away and they did!
I have a trucking business and made money until they ( the government ) figured it all out!!
Right now it's costing $1.05 per mile just for fuel a MILE! We don't get good fuel milage out of winter fuel
They have took my life savings to keep a business above water did they take yours too ?
SO. When is a can of corn going to b $4.00 ? Or a loaf of bread$10.00?
I'm still going pulling maybe not as many cause I can't I have to keep working to give my pulling money to the government oil company's
That's right that's what I said THE GOVERMENT OIL COMPANY'S
There will never be 1960 to 1990 s again in this country !!

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 11:36PM
A little comparisson.
Overhere in the Netherlands 1 liter gas costs us 1,80 Euro wich means $2,40.
One gallon is 3,78 liters.
So it would cost me about $8 to get one gallon in the Netherlands.
So it's not only in the US an expensive hobby to visit tractor pulls across the country.

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 12:13AM
Not sure about the Netherlands, but here, with similar Gas and Diesel prices the economy is going VERY well... actually the best it has ever been. It's just a matter of setting your priorities: Turned out here, most get a more fuel efficient engine, like TDIs and enjoy 45mpg and still go to where they want to go to, or they keep their gas guzzler parked in the driveway...

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 02:01PM
to the jerk wad who told me to save the bs watch and see iwould just as soon to vote for rosie odonnel

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 05:15PM
to the jerk wad who told me to save the bs watch and see iwould just as soon to vote for rosie odonnel

I am the "jerk wad" who told you to save it because it doesn't matter who the president is, gas prices are always going to be high as long as there is a consumer that is willing to pay for it. "Stop Crying" hit the nail on the head:

Stop Crying
it does not matter who in the president ...the oil companies run the country.. the oil companies while suck the consumer dry all they can and then when we stop driving the cost while go back down...while there's still money that the drivers are willing to spend the oil companies will take it.

Also, you want to know why things never get accomplished in the capital? Political parties. Just because Party A came up with the proposal Party B is going to automatically vote it down without even reading the thing.

Do you think your government gives a damn about you? No. The sooner you realize it, the better. An election is just to give you the image of having a choice.

And I guess it's Obama's fault that gas is $8 a gallon in the Netherlands?

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 08:35PM
Just a side note.. it was 5 $ in the NL 10 years ago....
Can you say CHINA IS GETTING CARS?

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 04:48AM
Amen Brother!!!!!!!

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 02:11PM
The person that stated that its not the country its the people in the country is telling the truth. I'm so tired of seeing young men with long oily hair and tatoes up their necks and arms it makes me sick. We can't tell the truth anymore because it hurts someones feelings we have to be politcaly correct. Were getting away from what this country stands for. A strong arm and a good back is how we used to stand. Now its what can we get for free.

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 10:10PM
Yea it was real high. A $1.85 a gal for regular gas when the great one the over the white house.

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 11:44PM
You're right on man! Everything will get better just before the vote!!!!

Re: fuel prices February 29, 2012 11:55PM
The oil companies will be bragging about all of their profits at the end of the year too!!! The natural gas companies are pulling out of the northeast because they can't make their 55% rate of return! Actually saw the letter from Cabot oil/gas.Wouldn't you like to make that on your dollar? Oh yea I was once told Nitrogen fertilizer follows the price of natural gas which is the lowest it has been in 10 years but N is the highest it's been in 10 years. Bottom line we the fools will keep buying,driving and pulling!!!!

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 12:30AM
To Sascha, One question to ask how far do you have to drive dailey in europe? How far is your average distance to travel to a pull?

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 01:06AM
I put about 35k miles on my car in a year... partly for work.
Before I had to drive a lot for work it was around 20k mls a year.

I used to drive several BMW 3 series and have changed over to TDIs.
My current Octavia (33k$ car EX VAT).

get's between 36 mpg (going +- 100 mph on cruise control on the Autobahn) and 45 mpg (going 60 mph on the ordinary roads around town).
6 speed auto (DSG), 140 (DIESEL) hp, so 0-60 in under 10 sec, nice low end torque (put's you in the seat from 1200 rpm on - but then runs out of breath at over 3000 rpm, but in combination with that quick 6 speed not much of an issue - becomes evident at over 115mph though), still 135mph top speed,...

Of course it could be faster but it's not what I'd call "slow" either.

To return to the pulling situation:

By accident, my team just made a season's plan.

18 events, 11k miles - and we're lucky to sit right in the middle of it all.

Diesel at the pump today: (1.54€ / liter) = 7,74US$ a gallon....

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 01:25AM
oil is the new gold standard... it goes up when the economy does, don't much like it myself, but from a trucking stand point when it goes up there is more to be hauled... just get to make less money doing it

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 01:35AM
might be interesting info on top:

Our semi gets about 7.5 mls per gallon, hauls a 9900lbs and a 7700 lbs mod - total weight of 75,000 lbs when going on tour:

1998 Mercedes Benz Actros, got 800k miles on, V6 engine (yuk), 13 years old, chip tuned to around 490 hp,...

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 01:52AM
Sascha y'all need my long nose Peterbilt to haul the wagon... would look a lot cooler, only gets around 6.5 mpg, but is turning 725hp to the rear wheels Beer

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 02:21AM
I heard this joke one time that one of your postings made me remember about hauling melons. These two guys where hauling melons from southwestern Indiana in a medium size truck to sell at market in Chicago. They were paying 50 cents per melon upon picking them up. When they got to Chicago, the market price was 50 cents. After hauling several loads of melons they figured up their expenses and determined they were losing money, so their answer to their problem was to "get a bigger truck"!
I agree with all the postings I've seen so far, but my question is. When are we finally going to get our fill of the politicians and take our country back. I've worked at jobs for over 40 years, payed taxes, insurance, put four children through both two and four years colleges. I've only been unemployeed a couple of times in my life and for short periods of time. I've been paying my dues!!!! I don't believe the govenment owes me anything really, but maybe one exception. Get rid of the freeloaders, and yes, that includes the politicians!
I've already come to the conclusion that I'll have to work until I can't physically or mentally work any longer. I'm not going to recieve my current pay when I retire like our Congressman and Senators, nor the great insurance they have. I don't know what most of you US citizens think, but I'm ready to do something about it and wished I knew how. I do my best to vote for the best person, but find myself voting for the lesser of two evils. OK, that's my 2 cents worth.

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 03:02AM
You hit the nail on the head with that post!!! Amen!

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 04:12AM
Since the maximum length of a track / trailer combination here is 61 1/2 ft either the team or one tractor would have to stay home....

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 02:58AM
People will complain about the price of fuel but their credit card would come out fast if a new $7500 turbo was needed mid season.

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 02:31AM
I wouldn't say they are pulling out. Some might be, but the natural gas companies are still here, just focusing on the wet gas since they can make more money on it with all of the by-products. The dry gas is practically ready for use as soon as it comes out of the ground, whereas the wet gas has extra stuff like ethane and other gasses that are used for much more than heating homes and powering cars. Cabot works up in the north central part of Pa., which has the dry gas. The wet gas is down in the southwestern corner of the state, so the gas companies are still hot and heavy in that area.

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 03:05AM
You have to think our economy would bounce back if the price of fuel was a little cheaper it would get more people out and about spending money again. It was fun listening to my grandpa on a recent parts road trip talking bout how he can remember going to the dealer that was 60 miles away on a couple bucks and now you can't go anywhere for 100. The good ol days i guess!

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 03:40AM
farmers and puller cry about the price of gas while theyre driving there 4 wheel drive pickups that get 8 miles to the gallon 20 miles to town to get a cup of coffee..and drive 1000 miles with there tractors to win a 50 $ trophy... it does not matter who in the president ...the oil companies run the country.. the oil companies while suck the consumer dry all they can and then when we stop driving the cost while go back down...while there's still money that the drivers are willing to spend the oil companies will take it

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 07:01AM
Maybe more pullers will pull close to home and not make those long trips. Tomah, and other big pulls might be hurting for vehicles. But when you spend $100,000 on a tractor or semi, paying $200 more for fuel will not keep anyone home.

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 08:59AM
Sounds like we better get to work inventing trucks that run on coffee then......driver already does, so why shouldn't the truck??.....lol
I have no problem with gas and diesel prices going up, if our wages went up accordingly.....not everyone who pulls or is a spectator has a job that accomodates rising fuel costs......

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 08:50AM
To be honest gas and diesel are one of the cheapest liquids in the United States, say gas was at 5$ a gallon, thats like 32-33 cents a cup. You cant even get a cup of coffee for that, and in Europe their paying $8 +

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 09:05AM
The President controls fuel prices?

Let be a lesson for you young people out there. Pay attention in Economics class. Don't be the village idiot.

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 09:16AM
for 8 years all I heard on the news shows was it was "George Bush'es fault" now the president can't do anything, its all in the narrative, I understood Bush couldn't change a great deal of the price just like "barry" can't but he sits in the big chair he gets the blame. I do believe there have been decisions made by government that have greatly caused the price of fuel to increase but maybe the epa is right you need to burn urea in pickup trucks.

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 09:36AM
Many things have caused this. I am not blaming the president for all of it. It just seems that every time any possible help may be around he seems to rule against it. The Keystone pipeline wouldent have cured it but it will help. The president said he was forced to decide in a short period of time so he blames the other party. Bull he dosent have any skin in the game so he says no he is a liar and if we let him he will lie more. He makes me want me to quit my job and go on welfare. Hey why not, I have to work and farm not to get by, yes the past few years farming has been great to me but hasen't always been that way and I am scared we are going backward

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 12:48PM
Just let the interest rate climb back up, i'm afraid it will after election time, and the 80's will be here again. All hell will break loose.

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 01:01PM
You want to see the economy come to a screeching halt, allow interest rates to climb even close to the 80s and no one will be buying anything. To much on credit now and most income going to making payments. If people can't trade cars, houses, or toys because interest rates are uninviting, then a lot of businesses are going to starve. It isn't the ideal situation but it's what we as a whole have created. So unless we would all like to take a long dose of reality (which I believe most on here could and do live with a dose of reality already) then the rates are going to have to stay somewhat manageable from a consumer stand point. Free market is no longer in play (prob for more yrs than we care to admit, past and future) and when free ice cream is being offered, the guy with the free ice cream usually gets elected.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2012 01:04PM by AV.

Re: fuel prices March 01, 2012 03:50PM
well said. Way to much out there on "paper" and not enough "paper" to back it up!

Re: fuel prices March 02, 2012 11:03AM
In other countries there is no such thing as a free handout, if you don't work you don't eat. We are headed down a bad path and soon will be at the point of no return. (Better learn to speak Chinese) Get rid of the political parties and put a businessman in office now!!! One of the few things left this country has to offer the world is food, our manufacturing sucks because we are lazy. When we get passed up with delivering food we are done!!

Re: fuel prices March 02, 2012 02:52PM
nt

Re: fuel prices March 02, 2012 05:15PM
Or goverment controls the price of fuel cost they control the mpg or trucks and cars get . To many of them have there hands into oil

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 05:09AM
Compare the fuel prices of europe versus there economy with ours there economy is worst than ours are we headed down that road. The pipeline couldn't be installed because Warren Buffet owns a railroad there WHERE ARE OUR TREE HUGGERS AT NOW fuel emissions, the danger of rail car accidents, spills, etc. The pipeline is safer. Also at the same time our president has GIVEN exxon 2 BILLON to look for oil in South America. That is just free money i know he will "locate" the oil about the time the money is running out and will need another 2 billon to drill for it. Just think about the bailouts if the president would have divide the money between the taxpayers everyone of us could have recieved 100,000.00 dollars, what do you think would have "HELPED" the economy better, don't get me wrong i don't like handed outs but at least we could have determined where the money went sense we will be the ones that have to PAY it back. Also there is plenty of oil in Montana to last this country at our current rate for 5,000 years if the TREE HUGGERS don't won't to drill there they can take there grants, donations,and other moneys and pay the price difference in this fuel. Thanks and remember there was a man in the 70s that invented a carb on a 6 cylinder that would get 36 mpg the oil companies forced him to sale the patent and in 2002 he was founded murdered (they could not buy the idea out of his head and he was working again).

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 11:16AM
"Compare the fuel prices of europe versus there economy with ours there economy is worst than ours"

Ok.. let's do it:

GDP Germany

Unemployment (red Germany, blue USA)
(Now at 5.5 % and still falling - want a job... move here! Looking for workers everywhere to get the job done.)

That's the economy were I come from - better than ever, never had more people employed than now...and that's with gas at 8,35$ a gallon (sucks big time) and the average hour of labour costs 37 US$.
There is areas here by now, where unemployment is at 1 % and you can't get anybody to work, costing you less than 60 $ an hour. Damn east germany is still a mess though...

Now, where is the relation?

I can tell you ... check China's GDP in relation to the fuel price.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2012 11:31AM by Sascha.

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 11:42AM
And you don't want to know what kind of "social system" we afford here. 30 days of 150 % paid vacation, 12 national holidays, 40 h week, another salary on top for X-mas, health insurance is 19.8 % of our income (if you don't work it's free), free schools, university is 600 $ a year, ...
Get unemployed? You receive 65% of your last income for 1 to 2 years (depends for how long you have been employed), after that they pay your rent, your heating bill, all your necessary insurances (retirement and health) and you still get 480 $ cash per person in your household (50% for kids) on top.

Deficit of Germany in 2012: Less than 1% of the GDP
Complete depth: 83 % of GDP (USA >100%)

Downside:
You can pay up to 48 % of income tax
You cannot opt out of health insurance - if you are self employed you can and you are always free to choose an extra health insurance if you want "chief doctor's" treatment
Fuel is expensive
19% General Sales Tax

Having to bail out the southern guys who retired at 50 and had more than 60% of the people working for the government.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2012 11:52AM by Sascha.

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 11:54AM
Sounds all nice and roses Sascha, But, here we have massive amounts of illegals taking benefits, etc. a whole bunch of folks that have NEVER had to work a day in their life, but could. You get the picture. If we could get rid of the dead weight, we would be doing a bunch better as a country. I am sure Germany has freeloaders too, we just have more than we can support rite now.

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 12:15PM
sacha i was in ludwigsburg germany for 3years visited stutgart every weekend but never did figure out how there seemed to be a oct fest year around lots of fun like to have went to some tractor pulls but never heard of any but i do no how a vw rabbit got its name they just didnt send them back to the states gas of base was 5 bucks then off base

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 12:40PM
The pulling circuit is pretty much concentrated on north germany only. The southerners prefer to race BMWs and Porsches round the Nürburg- and Hockenheimring, and maybe have a drag race once in a while...
Even though it's slowly starting to become popular there, too (quite a few mini rods stationed there)

Us "poor" rednecks from the northern low lands with the open countryside (where you can see by noon who visits in the evening) can't afford Porsches, have no "ring" ... so to not be totally bored this "tractor pull" thing caught on pretty well when it was shown to us by the dutch in the early 80s
I made a map with all the German teams and events last year:

http://g.co/maps/6kh24

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 12:32PM
Perry, we have open borders with countries where people earn 600 $ or less a month and they are free to move and work here...

That's like you taking your fence to Mexico down, remove all border controls and allow every Mexican, Brazilian, Argentinian, .... to legally move to the US and work there....
And we also don't have something like a minimum wage.

There is jobs here (trucking, cleaning, construction, slaughterhouses, private elderly care) that pay less than 3$ per hour. They come here in bus loads, work for 6 weeks, stay in cheap hotels with 4 guys in one room and then go back home as they cannot make a living from it here.
Our trucking companies are in direct competition with companies from Poland, Bulgaria, Hungary,... and their drivers get like 5$ an hour.

So blaming your "illegal" Aliens on the economic situation, just because you make them illegal, while other's don't and don't even care about this problem is a bit too simple of an excuse.

And now don't start this outsourcing thing. We are outsourcing lots of jobs to the US, because of cheap wages, low safety and eco standards, cheap energy, ...

I have for years wondered how this economy here could even be competitive with other countries, affording all this Eco BS (them tree huggers are shutting down all the atomic power plants here now and are turning this country into a wind and solar park) and not collapse.
Until I had the chance to see the differences in the education systems and how the international "measuring of education quality" standards (were we don't fare too well either) do not even capture, what makes this economy tick...

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 12:41PM
Good gravy, don`t let the tree huggers see your last post!!!!!!!! BTW, there is no fence on the border for 90 percent of it.

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 12:48PM
ok... never been there. But I guess you got my point. If every mexican could legally apply for a job in the US from tomorrow on and legally move, I guess hell would break loose. Until it becomes evident, people without proper education are rather useless in todays economy ... no matter where they come from.

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 01:02PM
I got it. Can`t blame someone for wanting to better themselfs. could go on for hours/days about this stuff and change nothing. so, I stick to pulling and travel/fun. Fuchtorf pull next month already!!!

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 01:05PM
YES IT IS!!
Just figured I have like 50 "farm" and "Hot Farm" tractors and about 40 garden pullers on saturday already... Sunday competition looks excellent, too. Green Spirit, Lambada, Double Screaming, Starlight Express, ...

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 01:13PM
Starlight guys have anything new this year??

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 01:21PM
they were after Arias Pistons this winter... not sure if they have them in by now. Had their stuff running well lately and had to catch up with the driveline a little.

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 12:51PM
someone has to pick strawberries and do the other jobs "below" fine upstanding Americans

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 01:14PM
Sascha i thought you said your economy was great but then in a later post you said the outsiders moving into your country could not make it and had to go back home, that is not the sign of a healthy economy!!!!!!!! As for the unemployment rate most on it here are LAZY and not really looking for work. The sign of a struggling economy to me is the fact that alot of the small and medium size businesses and corps are just barely breaking even or showing a small profit, trucking for example, I have a customer that is hauling bean meal the load payes 200.00 and he is currently spending 125.00 on fuel that is not breaking even(tires, repairs, insurance, tags, taxes etc.)

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 01:42PM
You got that a little wrong:
People come here to work for a while and then go back home, where what they made here gives them a rather decent standard of living because of WAY lower prices.
Kinda like when you would come here, make 50.000 $ in 3 months and then go back home and take the rest of the year off...
If they wanted to stay here (and a lot of them do.. for the first time in years our population is growing again), they of course have to find a job that pays well enough to make it. That would require a decent job education...
We currently lack "qualified workforce" badly... especially engineers, mechanics, welders, ...

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 01:49PM
Don't mention getting rid of minimum wage, the libs here believe that's the only thing give anyone a "good" wage and that the free market wouldn't sort this mess out itself. God forbid someone get's paid what they are worth. We live in a country now, if you show up everyone gets a star and pat on the head. The only requirement, be able to fog a mirror.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 01:59PM
Were I work, we are looking for skilled CNC machinst and can`t get anyone to even apply!!! work is out there, but you have to have some brains and a skill.......

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 02:25PM
Who teaches the CNC mechanics and how does it work in the US?

Here the companies usually "hire" kids from school after 10th grade for a 3 1/2 year apprenticeship where .. in case of a CNC mill operator go to school for two days a week learning nothing but metal and programming and for 4 days a week are in a special workshop where they go through 1 year of "metal basics". Bascially means getting your hands bloody with saw, file and fire for 6 months, then slowly getting to the simple power tools. Then in the second year it slowly starts with little manual machines and making the first parts (for the trash). After they have the manual ones figured, then in the third year they get into real life programming and producing (usually still for the trash) and are slowly led towards the up to date machinery. In the last half year they finally get into the "real" company and start to help out and learn in the production. After final exams and test - then after 10 years of school and 3.5 years of "job education" at a very low wage they can then call themselfs a "CNC machinist". If they want to go on, they can do another 2 years of theoretical school to become a "technician" (pretty similar to a Bachelor engineer) or after I think 5 years of working in the job can do one year of a very practical school to become a "Meister" (who can run a departement of the production and / or teach others).
Another possibility would be to finish the job education, go to school for one more year for your subject and then go to a "university of applied science" and get you Bachelor or Master in engineering.

Typical (small) "educational workshop" in a German company

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2012 02:31PM by Sascha.

Re: fuel prices March 05, 2012 09:08AM
There is a 2 year trade school for machinst, most go that way. There are some apprenticeships. hard to get into.

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 02:29PM
How long will it be before that place that you work for moves to China?

Re: fuel prices March 05, 2012 09:11AM
Heck, already getting some stuff made there. some of it is coming back though, as the chinese quality sucks big time.

Re: fuel prices March 05, 2012 09:17AM
Ha.. same experience everywhere...

Re: fuel prices March 04, 2012 02:00PM
Always funny how our liberals fight the minimum wage and the conservatives here slowly try to introduce it... our libs are rather close to Mr. Pauls agenda and our cons are somewhere between Obama and the Pope.

Re: fuel prices March 05, 2012 03:01AM
The problem we have is many that come here do not pay into the system they collect off the system. Also at this moment we don't have employers that have an abundance of unfilled jobs. Just heard today Yahoo is looking to lay off thousands of people by the months end to help grow their business. Don't ask me me how that works, I haven't a clue.

Re: fuel prices March 06, 2012 01:22AM
In business, eliminating employees grows the bottom line because you're not paying as many employees. In theory if you can get the same amount of work done with less employees your business can grow. Not saying I agree or disagree with it,Just saying how I see it.this seems to be the future of how businesses are going to achieve growth.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009