Steering universals March 03, 2012 08:30AM
I have looked on summitracing and jegs for light weight universals to use to make my steer shafts. The problem is to do the whole thing i ll have almost 300 dollars in just U joints. Can anyone help me here with something or somewhere to look for cheaper u joints

Re: Steering universals March 03, 2012 09:43AM
I have seen socket universals used.
Try Mcmaster-Carr They call them Midas Steel Universal joints.
They have many different sizes, but the ones similar to Jegs and Summit are bored 3/4" and the Midas are about 40 bucks each.
They are also showing a forged steel needle bearing universal joint, medium duty 3/4" bore is about 24 bucks each.
I did see one tractor that used a flexable power shaft,,,,,,,,,
Could use whatever shaft size fits inside a 3/4" hydraulic hose end, and make a hydraulic hose to make a flexable shaft.
Most of this post is for entertainment purposes only!

Re: Steering universals March 03, 2012 10:05AM
I have them for sale call me 423-383-4448

Re: Steering universals March 03, 2012 02:33PM
Find some used from VW rabbit. MACK

Re: Steering universals March 03, 2012 02:47PM
Flaminriver.com very light weight and tough

Re: Steering universals March 04, 2012 07:01AM
speedway catalogs

Re: Steering universals March 04, 2012 11:25AM
Not to knock anyone out of a sale but I have bought several from "surplus center" out of Nebraska, good quality at an exceptional price.

Re: Steering universals March 04, 2012 06:03PM
Go to Sears and get 3/4 drive universals and weld onto your shaft.I've seen it done and I've been told they work good.

Re: Steering universals March 05, 2012 01:30AM
If you're ok with saving a few bucks by cutting corners on something as unnecessary as steering, why not just remove the brakes and air shutoff while you're at it? Borgeson steering joints or nothing for my stuff!

Re: Steering universals March 05, 2012 05:44AM
cutting corners
If you're ok with saving a few bucks by cutting corners on something as unnecessary as steering, why not just remove the brakes and air shutoff while you're at it? Borgeson steering joints or nothing for my stuff!

I would agree with this. Steering has progressed from a bit of bailer twine on each side of the go cart for most of us. Spend $4,000 for a turbocharger and save $20 on a universal joint???

Re: Steering universals March 05, 2012 11:17AM
Gonzo you are so right on. If they want to cut corners on safety items the sport would be better off if they bought a 12 pack of cheap beer and stayed in the grandstand watching!

Re: Steering universals March 05, 2012 02:49PM
you can call it cutting corners if you want, I have bought enough of everyones steering joints through the years and the quality i got out of nebraska was as good if not better than many higher priced equivalents. Any time I can get good quality at a lesser price and buy something from a U.S. company then that is where I will choose to do business.

Re: Steering universals March 05, 2012 03:06PM
OK George, I did check out the Surplus Center. That joint appears to be a good one at a reasonable price. Not quite as professional as some of the race units, but should do the job.

These might look more professional for the same price IMHO [www.borgeson.com]

Or these. [www.jegs.com]
I dont want to pick on anyones building skills, Just that there are some good running tractors that could look better for near the same price.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2012 03:42PM by gonzo 1066.

Re: Steering universals March 05, 2012 03:44PM
460D puller
I have looked on summitracing and jegs for light weight universals to use to make my steer shafts. The problem is to do the whole thing i ll have almost 300 dollars in just U joints. Can anyone help me here with something or somewhere to look for cheaper u joints
Will you have more than 3 universal joints on your 460?? 3 will usually get almost any tractor that I know of..

Re: Steering universals March 05, 2012 04:30PM
Know of anyone who works on grain bins? Small auger U-joints work great!!

Re: Steering universals March 06, 2012 02:29AM
This is what I use [www.ebay.com]

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,761, Posts: 229,922, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,094, Posts: 226,019.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM