Fuel Pump Question March 29, 2012 12:49PM
I have a small block John Deere(466) that has a P-Pump capable of 600-700 cc's of fuel. I am wanting to know kind of electric fuel pump that I need to supply it with. Ex. How many GPH and PSI? What brand is the best for a reasonable price? Thanks in Advance.

Re: Fuel Pump Question March 29, 2012 01:08PM
you need 8 gallon a minute. There is no electric pump that will do that---2 electric's together will maybe do that. This is the reason pullers run mechanical pumps instead of electric's. Call Columbus--they have the complete set-up. None of this stuff is cheap, but it saves a $1200 stuck plunger in the pump---repeatedly.

Re: Fuel Pump Question March 29, 2012 02:34PM
so there really is NO ELECTRIC pump to supply 500cc p pump

Re: Fuel Pump Question March 29, 2012 03:17PM
An Aeromotive pro series (11102)will easily maintain 50psi to a 500cc p pump. running 4500rpm on a 6cyl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2012 03:17PM by KTA.

Re: Fuel Pump Question March 30, 2012 03:52PM
Your way off on 8 gallons a minute. Lets do a little math the rpms were not stated and since this is a big factor on electric pumps we'll figure this at 4000 rpm down the track. We have 700cc per plunger delivery in 1000 strokes of plunger at 4000 engine rpms the pump would be turning 2000 rpm. So in 2000 strokes of plunger we are at 1400cc per cylinder per minute. So on a six cylinder this is 1400cc x 6=8400cc/minute. There are 3785 cc's per gallon so 8400/3785=2.2 gallons per minute. Of course you want to have some return fuel and this is going to depend a lot on what type of return valve you are using at the pump. If you have a return valve that only returns fuel above a certain pressure 3 gallons per minute will be plenty. With that being said there are several advantages to mechanical pumps first of they don't fail nearly as often as electric pumps I blame this on the fact that injection pumps have a lot of pulsation on the fuel line and seems to be hard on many of the more expensive electric pumps. Mechanical pumps are going to pump a set amount per revolution and increase in output with increased rpms unlike the electric pump which is going to pump the same amount from the time you turn it on which returns a lot of fuel to your tank or recirculates a large quantity of fuel which can cause foaming and unneccessary heating of the fuel. Hope this all helps you make your decision. I would avoid mechanical pumps that are greatly oversized for the same reasons.

Re: Fuel Pump Question March 29, 2012 09:39PM
While there are electric pumps (for big EFI Methanol systems) which would work, they draw a lot of current. So that's not really something you want on your pulling tractor (unless you are after the last 5 hp). The (small) mechanical fuel pumps for the methanol engines from Enderle, Hilborn, Waterman, ... will deliver enough and when coupled with a serious fuel pressure regulator valve should do the job:
[www.hilborninjection.com]
[aeromotiveinc.com]

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Fuel Pump Question March 30, 2012 02:14PM
FAAS system, not inexpensive (<$1000.00) but can work well

Re: Fuel Pump Question March 30, 2012 03:46PM
Not sure if this is correct but just some calculation.
A 700cc pump is 700cc’s per 1000 strokes of the plungers per cylinder
The pump turns ½ the speed of the engine so at 3000 engine rpm you would get 1500 strokes per plunger per minute that makes 1050cc per minute = .277 gallons per minute times 6 cylinders = 1.662 gallons per minute is all the fuel you would need. This is what I figured for a 700cc pump so you would not need more than 2 gallons per minute at your desired pressure.
I think you can get many pumps that will make that kind of fuel.
For those that know more let me know if I am wrong but you may bypass some and need to add that to used fuel but you can get a lot of electric pumps that will make that kind of fuel.

Re: Fuel Pump Question March 31, 2012 12:52AM
Response to small electric pumps. For a test, go out to your shop and turn on your air compressor. Wait until the pressure is up to 100 pounds and lay your hand on the head of the compressor, then get out the burn ointment. Now imagine how hot a P-pump will get when it puts out pressure in the range of 4000 to 5000 pounds and let me ask you what cools your modified high dollar pump? Also consider that your air compressor piston clearance is measured in thousands, and your injection pump plunger clearance is measured in the millions. Now run a calculation again to cool the pump, or do what all other pullers have learned the hard way, buy a pump that increases flow through the pump as RPM and pressure increases. Pullers don't spend money on mechanical pumps and all the fittings they require for fun--it saves them money in the long run. By the way--they recommend a number 12 an line and fittings from the fuel tank to the input to the pump. Lets see you do that to your electric pump.

Re: Fuel Pump Question March 31, 2012 01:57AM
agree on using volumne to cool the pump! my fuel tank is quite warm after a run,use 14an to the pump and 10an to the injection pump,then back to the tank, pusher pump is gear driven on the engine with spray regulator returning excess to tank!

Re: Fuel Pump Question April 01, 2012 05:44AM
Wimmer makes a nice set up

Re: Fuel Pump Question March 31, 2012 12:14PM
who has a good fairly cheap mechanical pump?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009