Nitropropane?? March 29, 2012 02:32PM
Disclaimer: Not looking to cheat! Just looking to dump a little nitropropane (Klotz Nitro--50% NP and 50% blending agent) into a heavily fueled under turboed street truck (5.9L Cummins) to see if oxygenating the fuel makes much of a difference.

Anybody mess with this stuff? I heard antique tractor pullers are pretty much the only crowd that uses it. Thanks in advance, there's very little firsthand info on people mixing it with diesel fuel

Re: Nitropropane?? March 29, 2012 04:48PM
As I understand it, it will blend with gasoline and not separate, unlike nitromethane. That may be why the antiques use it, I'm pretty sure they mostly run gas still. I've heard of at least one garden tractor guy melting a piston on the dyno trying it. Surely you'd have to watch your EGTs while dialing it in. No information on a diesel though. You might mix some with your diesel fuel in a glass jar and let it sit to see if it separates.

Re: Nitropropane?? March 31, 2012 01:00AM
Do not mix over 3 or 4 oz. per gallon to start. It will stay in suspension in nearly any fuel but I do encourge you to also use Klotz uplon fuel lube and a two stroke oil both at the rate of 1/2oz. per gal to maintain lubricity. If you do this blend and are still not too hot on egt's then you can work your way up on %'s. As you go up in percentages you may want to back down the timing a few degrees as the burn speed of this chemical is much faster than deisel.

Re: Nitropropane?? April 02, 2012 01:31PM
The Klotz is a pretty good product. Twister is right on with the mixture to start out with, you will definately want to bump your timing down a little, but you are still going to be at an elevated risk of burning a piston down.
I used to mess with fuels back in the day, but found it much easier to keep adding turbos and water to make power.
I understand what you are doing though, and this isn't a bad route to get where you trying to go.

Chris Watson
Watson Motorsports
Batavia, OH

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,734, Posts: 229,868, Members: 3,333.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,985.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM