Locking diff On 560 April 12, 2012 03:52PM
Looking for ideas to lock a diff on a 560 so both tires spin either welding or any other ideas thanks

Re: Locking diff On 560 April 13, 2012 12:43AM
You can weld the gears togather but you are going to take a ride out of bounds. Better have a spair diff to put in when you find a locked diff won't work for pulling. MACK

Re: Locking diff On 560 April 13, 2012 01:48AM
That's a fact. A locked diff ain't the hot ticket. If you're having trouble with the tractor not going straight, you need to look into a needled cross and carrier.

Re: Locking diff On 560 April 13, 2012 01:51AM
You want the diff to be MORE free for tractors mods and twd!
If you do want a locker, you need it to be unlockable.
Maybe google ARB air locker and see if you can copy their idea.
Spiders need needled and brass washered and the side gears need thick brass washered (plenty good enough for your 560) or a hard washer and torrington bearinged.

Re: Locking diff On 560 April 14, 2012 12:46AM
I know someone that installed a diff lock on a Farmall H by drilling a hole through the pinion shaft and fastening a shaft to the differential side gear. He then used an external electric clutch that when engaged would lock the pinion shaft to the side gear. Let me know if you want more details.

Re: Locking diff On 560 April 15, 2012 11:08AM
I would investigate the rear end and make sure all of the bearings are good. I have a good runnin M and it used to pull straight and then one evening it started to pull to the right mostly. I didn't know what was going until next spring when I pulled it out of the garage and tranny started clicking. Long story short, the pilot bearing where the input shaft meets the pinion shaft was gone and 2 other bearings were cracked. After I replaced all the bearings, she pulls straight again. Just my .02 Good luck.

Re: Locking diff On 560 April 18, 2012 01:52AM
If you are running speed limit classes,5 mph and under,Just pull the diff.Take it apart,get some .010 brass shim sheets.Cut out washers to fit behind the side gears.Place a shim behind both gears at a time and set diff halves together.Check for gap between halves.Continue shimming until you get about .015 -.020 gap.Then bolt the diff back together and install in tractor.Go pulling with both wheels diggin.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,641, Posts: 229,707, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520