Question on staging turbos? February 26, 2009 11:19AM
Was hoping someone has some insight for me on this. when putting together a 3 charger, 2 feeding 1 system, does using 3 of the same turbos work? If you use 3 of the same, would you run a looser exhaust on the bottom, and two tight exhaust housings on the top chargers?? If anyone has some info, it would be really appreciated. thanks

John

Re: Question on staging turbos? February 26, 2009 01:02PM
3 of the same will work just fine as long as they are not 3 HUGE turbo chargers and you have enough air pumping displacement. Most people like the low psi stage chargers to draw a large amount of air mass (hence a little bigger cold wheel) then use the manifold charger to squeeze the large air mass into the engine (a little smaller cold wheel). Size your housings according to your psi readings for each stage of boost and exhaust psi. If would like more help you can email me at
castners@castnersperformance.com

Re: Question on staging turbos? February 28, 2009 04:11AM
So on a limited light diesel super under 360 cu in with a a 3 inch inlet S-400 on botton, would 2- S400's with 2.5 inlet wheels on top be better or flow more air than a single T18A-95 or even a T18A-90 ? Currently have a S-400 2.75 inlet on bottom and a T18A-74 on top. It works great! Want more air. thanks

Re: Question on staging turbos? February 28, 2009 04:58AM
Following Ross's line of thought, you'd not restrict the intake side, leave all three at 3.0, but you could have less restrictive exhaust wheels on top, the bottom charger is doing the compressing of whatever enters it, be it entering at 20, 40 or 60 lbs of boost. SS smoker systems with 2 over 1 were in use 20 years ago, and making 190 psi I know of in one ih application. The s400, factory exhaust housing are like, 136, 125 and 110. The 110 has made life hard on the charger, in single applications with factory bearings in our local 466 hot farm classes, live much better with 125. If you can push the 3 x 3.5's, all with larger, factory stock housing, you could always tighten the lower one. The air temp is going to be higher out of the top chargers, so watching exhaust temp at the manifold charger is going to be necessary. With a small cube motor, air temp might not be that extreme, as long as you boost ratios are 3x1 or less. Bigger cube setups have been done the h3, h3b combinations, with a recent east coast 540 cu in diesel puller reaching about 135 lb boost, with a very low dollar, but liveable setup. Drop me an e-mail, and I'll get you the contact info for the turbo man on the last setup.

Re: Question on staging turbos? February 28, 2009 06:54AM
So, would 2 smaller 3 inch turbo's make more volume than a large 3.6 inch turbo?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,721, Posts: 229,845, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,972.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro